Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Writing a novel...

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Isabelle  

Interests: I have many interests: visual arts, literature, music, the great outdoors, travelling, people, great conversation with respectful and kind people, sciences, laughter and much more. Life is too amazing!!!
Physical Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Posted: 23 Apr 2003, 2:58 am    Post subject: Writing a novel... Reply with quote

I am writing a novel, it is such hard but rewarding work. I would like to hear from other writers. Adding to my message in the Arts section, I would love to form a GLBTQ writers group in the Lower Vancouver Island region. My literary work does not necessarily address GLBTQ issues, my present work of fiction will not have a queer person as the main character for example. How do others feel about this? How do other writers deal with these types of issues? Should GLBTQ writers feel obligated to write queer stuff just because we are?
My own opinion is no, but I'd love to hear a discussion about it.
Hoping to hear from ya'll.... :o)

Isabelle
Isabelle - Artist (oils, acrylics, charcoal, pastels etc), writer (fiction, not necessarily glbt), RN. Proud owner of a Great Pyr... oh and single, mid 40s and would love to meet kind, respecful soulmate with similar interests... :o)
Greg  

Physical Location: Sedona, AZ

Posted: 27 Apr 2003, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Writing a novel... Reply with quote

Isabelle wrote:
I am writing a novel, it is such hard but rewarding work. I would like to hear from other writers. Adding to my message in the Arts section, I would love to form a GLBTQ writers group in the Lower Vancouver Island region. My literary work does not necessarily address GLBTQ issues, my present work of fiction will not have a queer person as the main character for example. How do others feel about this? How do other writers deal with these types of issues? Should GLBTQ writers feel obligated to write queer stuff just because we are?

Isabelle

Hello,

I have written 2 novels - one is being reviewed by a publisher and the other is being reviewed by an agent. They each have gay main characters who live life in a diverse world - like all of us. Like you, I do not believe that we have to focus solely on gay issues, they do come up with characters, but that is not the main theme of the books.

I try to show that gay characters are multi-layered and experience the same dreams and desires as our hetro brothers and sisters. I focus more on the person, the queer part is just another characteristic of that character.

So the question comes down to: what is the definition of Gay Fiction? Gay characters? Gay experiences? Gay issues?

I don't know the answer, but most "Gay Fiction" I have read turns out to be erotica, which is not what I write. I have a difficult time finding books like mine - maybe that's good.

Good luck.

Greg
beta7of9  

Interests: My interest are locating Literary Agents that accepts African American Gay Literture. Also open for genre fiction.
Physical Location: Seattle Washington

Posted: 6 May 2003, 12:24 am    Post subject: Genre Agencies-Writing a Novel Reply with quote

I too have just finish writing a novel with a main character exploring his sexual orientation until he meets a very unique (non-stereotype) male that changes his life for the better. My novel has a magical realism to it also it is very dimensional, lucid and surreal. The only problem is that most LITERARY AGENTS don't think there is a market for my style of writing and I normally get a pass on my query letter. I mean the story does have a gay character but that is not the bases of the story. It's too Universal to be shelved in one catagory.

Anyone know of any Literary Agents that would be interested in my work I would be please to hear from you. If you know of anything that will be of some assistance to others I will certainly post it here on the board.

I know for a fact that the gay/lesbian community will flip reading my novel (once published) and the African American communitiy will enjoy it also. Also the inspirational communities and those that like homo-eroctism will get a rapid pulse rate will reading a certain area in my manuiscript.

So anyone can let me know or can be of some assistance. I know that Gay/Lesbian literary still has a way to go but I think the more diverse our voice the more people will expect more works from us.
Sword  

Interests: Writer, Champion of the underdogs, Lay Minister, Registered Massage Therapy, playing pool, dancing, gardening
Physical Location: Galveston,Texas,USA

Posted: 12 Jun 2005, 5:21 pm    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

This is for all but especialy for 'Beta 7 of 9'. First are you Borg. I don't want to inadvertantly help an invasion. All kidding aside I may be able to help you. I am currently publishing a book, Forum reference as 'A new book'. I tried the old buddy network route but Nothing I write fits neatly into a marketable category. The rejection pissed me off so for many years I self published my own work. (From text to binding to art work)
Unfortunately this new project is a God thing and I needed a better support system than going it alone. I was approached by a company that saw my copright material did not have a publisher's name attached. I liked what they had to offer. I pay a portion of the cost to publish my book, it is reasonable ($2,400) for a basic package. They market, advertise, and distribute it for me. The company name is Rosedog Books, its parent company is Dorrance, which has been working with authors for about 80+ years. I have been pleased by the professional way that the project has advanced.
Well good luck and we will talk later,
Angel Eliza (Sword)
knicoal79  

Physical Location: burlington, VT

Posted: 7 Jul 2005, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Writing a novel... Reply with quote

Isabelle wrote:

Isabelle

Dear Isabelle,
I have recently been considering these questions myself. I don't know if I will be able to help, or to merely compound the problem. First off, you should not "feel obligated" to write anything. You should write exactly what you want! The question is (for me), do you really want you novel to live in the back section of the bookstores under the "Gay and Lesbian Fiction" no-man's-land! Exactly how many characters in the novel must be homosexual in order to end up there? Or is it the sexuality of the author? Who decides where the segregation begins and ends? I am not trying to start up a political discussion, I'm just wondering. Personally, I think that queer fiction needs to slowly begin to co-mingle with hetero-fiction. Perhaps a queer character or two. We need to legitimize the genre, and open it up to the public realm. Any thoughts?
Nicole
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.