Not a Member Yet? 

JOIN TODAY. IT'S FREE!

Advertising Opportunities
  Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: How could a gay person have voted for Bush?

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Robert Mc  

Interests: Politics, gay issues, human rights, classical and ethnic music and art, alcoholism and drug addiction recovery, health and fitness, spirituality... We need support to fight homophobia by a hardcore of religious and political leaders who managed to con
Physical Location: Metro San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted: 29 Nov 2004, 3:10 pm    Post subject: How could a gay person have voted for Bush? Reply with quote

How can a gay person be true to himself and voted for Bush?

It took me many years of living to finally learn the importance of the motto: "To thine own self be true."

Sorry, I cannot understand how any gay person can be pro-Bush. Even the conservative gay Log Cabin Republicans discovered in this past election that they could not be true to themselves and vote for George W. Bush's re-election. What disturbed these Log Cabin Republicans is Bush's appealing to his far right wing base that includes anti-gay Evangelical Christians.

I have noted that the almost all youthful gay and lesbian people on the island of Puerto Rico and in the states were actively against Bush's re-election. These young gays and lesbians are not in the closet. They are proud to be gay. They participate in gay protest demonstrations when an anti-gay group tries to take away human rights for gays. They are absolutely against the proposed Bush amendment against gay marriages and other efforts to reverse human rights gains made by gay people.

I frequently visit a gay bar in the Condado. (It is not important to know what bar or its name.) This bar has a clientele of wrinkled, retired gay men. Some of these gay seniors -- including yours truly -- have managed to change with the times in order to accept new causes for human rights. Many of these senior gay activists write letters to the editor demanding respect and human rights for gay people. They are not afraid to identify themselves in print or over the air ways as being gay. Every June, we enlightened, liberated seniors in Puerto Rico will march down Ashford Avenue with the younger gays to express our Gay Pride. I am in my seventies and I have marched joyfully in every Gay Pride Parade for over ten years. I usually jump into the parade as it passes the Marriott Hotel.

Unfortunately, there are those old gay men who never want to get honest and more open minded about their sexual orientation and the gay life style. Instead, of fully integrating their gayness into their lives, their lives are broken into isolated segments. To them, being gay always remains a dirty little secret. One part of their psychic does not let the other part of their psychic think or feel who they really are. It is sad and spiritually painful not to have self-honesty. These "Boys In the Band" -- Or is it more appropriate to call them: "Geriatrics In the Band"? -- are really out of touch with their inner most feelings. Many of them will developed serious illnesses. I often wonder if many of those who deny their true feelings end up with their bodies paying the bill.

These unenlightened, non-liberated seniors will be cruising in a bar or a gay section of town to meet another male to have a sexual encounter. At the same time, they will proclaim how wonderful George W. Bush and his cohorts are. These gay men refuse to examine that there is a possible conflict between their values as a gay person and the rigid, archaic "moral values" expressed by the extreme right wing Republicans. I would ask them what would Barbara Bush, Laura Bush, George Senior and George W. think about them cruising to score sexually in a room of wrinkled, old Johns? They refuse to even consider the possibility that this Evangelical political family would feel disgust for them.

A classic example is a pro-Bush retired, gay person who goes to my favorite gay bar. As he sits in the gay bar drinking and eating popcorn for oral fixation with a couple of his closest gay friends, who are also gung-ho for Bush, he raves on and on about how great Bush and his gang are. His raves become louder and more enthusiastic as he downs one drink after another. He refuses to look at the possibility that the Bushees are fervently anti-gay.

Often when I have a pro-gay, anti-Bush letter published in
the San Juan Star, he would write a letter stating that I am a Bush hater. An underlining point of this gung-ho Bushee's responses to my pro-gay, anti-Bush letters is that I am perhaps not patriotic because I am not for Bush the Great American Warrior. Does he consider it is wrong to be a Bush hater but okay to be a Kerry or Liberal hater? When I criticize George W. Bush or any other political personage, it has nothing to do with hating. It has to do with my first amendment right to disagree and explain why I disagree with a political opponent's way of governing.

During the early days of struggling for human rights for African-Americans, we called an African-American who did not actively support human rights for his people and wanted to be a "token" black sleeping with the WASP's, an "Uncle Tom." Could we call a gay person wanting to sleep with the anti-gay Bushee enemies: an "Auntie Jane"?
stanwyck  

Posted: 11 Jan 2005, 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: How could a gay person have voted for Bush? Reply with quote

Robert

Just noticed this - strikes a real chord. As an Australian I struggle with the same question. How can gay/lesbian people vote for our so-called liberal (for which read conservative) government, a government who swiftly placed mechanisms in place to prohibit gay marriage, even before the question had been raised in a properly formulated way as an issue for potential legislative change. But a further dilemma - how can any lesbian gay person vote for our whimpish Labour partly, who blandly succumbed to the anti gay marriage push? And yet vote they do, for both parties - indeed some even run for office. Ah well - thank god for the Greens.

Robert Mc wrote:

It took me many years of living to finally learn the importance of the motto: "To thine own self be true."

Sorry, I cannot understand how any gay person can be pro-Bush. Even the conservative gay Log Cabin Republicans discovered in this past election that they could not be true to themselves and vote for George W. Bush's re-election. What disturbed these Log Cabin Republicans is Bush's appealing to his far right wing base that includes anti-gay Evangelical Christians.

I have noted that the almost all youthful gay and lesbian people on the island of Puerto Rico and in the states were actively against Bush's re-election. These young gays and lesbians are not in the closet. They are proud to be gay. They participate in gay protest demonstrations when an anti-gay group tries to take away human rights for gays. They are absolutely against the proposed Bush amendment against gay marriages and other efforts to reverse human rights gains made by gay people.

I frequently visit a gay bar in the Condado. (It is not important to know what bar or its name.) This bar has a clientele of wrinkled, retired gay men. Some of these gay seniors -- including yours truly -- have managed to change with the times in order to accept new causes for human rights. Many of these senior gay activists write letters to the editor demanding respect and human rights for gay people. They are not afraid to identify themselves in print or over the air ways as being gay. Every June, we enlightened, liberated seniors in Puerto Rico will march down Ashford Avenue with the younger gays to express our Gay Pride. I am in my seventies and I have marched joyfully in every Gay Pride Parade for over ten years. I usually jump into the parade as it passes the Marriott Hotel.

Unfortunately, there are those old gay men who never want to get honest and more open minded about their sexual orientation and the gay life style. Instead, of fully integrating their gayness into their lives, their lives are broken into isolated segments. To them, being gay always remains a dirty little secret. One part of their psychic does not let the other part of their psychic think or feel who they really are. It is sad and spiritually painful not to have self-honesty. These "Boys In the Band" -- Or is it more appropriate to call them: "Geriatrics In the Band"? -- are really out of touch with their inner most feelings. Many of them will developed serious illnesses. I often wonder if many of those who deny their true feelings end up with their bodies paying the bill.

These unenlightened, non-liberated seniors will be cruising in a bar or a gay section of town to meet another male to have a sexual encounter. At the same time, they will proclaim how wonderful George W. Bush and his cohorts are. These gay men refuse to examine that there is a possible conflict between their values as a gay person and the rigid, archaic "moral values" expressed by the extreme right wing Republicans. I would ask them what would Barbara Bush, Laura Bush, George Senior and George W. think about them cruising to score sexually in a room of wrinkled, old Johns? They refuse to even consider the possibility that this Evangelical political family would feel disgust for them.

A classic example is a pro-Bush retired, gay person who goes to my favorite gay bar. As he sits in the gay bar drinking and eating popcorn for oral fixation with a couple of his closest gay friends, who are also gung-ho for Bush, he raves on and on about how great Bush and his gang are. His raves become louder and more enthusiastic as he downs one drink after another. He refuses to look at the possibility that the Bushees are fervently anti-gay.

the San Juan Star, he would write a letter stating that I am a Bush hater. An underlining point of this gung-ho Bushee's responses to my pro-gay, anti-Bush letters is that I am perhaps not patriotic because I am not for Bush the Great American Warrior. Does he consider it is wrong to be a Bush hater but okay to be a Kerry or Liberal hater? When I criticize George W. Bush or any other political personage, it has nothing to do with hating. It has to do with my first amendment right to disagree and explain why I disagree with a political opponent's way of governing.

During the early days of struggling for human rights for African-Americans, we called an African-American who did not actively support human rights for his people and wanted to be a "token" black sleeping with the WASP's, an "Uncle Tom." Could we call a gay person wanting to sleep with the anti-gay Bushee enemies: an "Auntie Jane"?
gay_1  

Interests: Singing, reading, watching movies (all kinds), shopping, and looking at guys at the mall.
Physical Location: Golden Colorado

Posted: 23 Feb 2005, 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How could a gay person have voted for Bush? Reply with quote

I don't understand too. Bush is so closed mind that he try to ban gay marriage. But why would he wont to???? He Knows that the world (U.S.) is going to get pist and he doesn't care...

Robert Mc wrote:

dean2644  

Posted: 30 Apr 2005, 3:28 pm    Post subject: voting Reply with quote

ItĚs the same in Britain and Spain. The Conservative Party in the UK still has an anti gay bias as has its press following (the Daily Mail for example). The Labour Party is a little better but the most enlightened attitude comes from the Liberal Democrats.
In Spain the oppositiomn from the Partido Popular to the legalisation of gay marriages is noticeable. Congratulations to Prime Minister Jose Luis Zapatero and his PSOE party for sticking to their principles and taking Spain well ahead of the USA or UK in progressive law making
Mcq  

Interests: Lgbt history culture &politics, film, literature , clubbing, meeting people etc
Physical Location: Glasgow, Scotland, UK, Europe The World!

Posted: 2 Feb 2006, 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: voting Reply with quote

[quote="dean2644"]ItĚs the same in Britain and Spain. The Conservative Party in the UK still has an anti gay bias as has its press following (the Daily Mail for example). The Labour Party is a little better but the most enlightened attitude comes from the Liberal Democrats.
] dean, have you seen the coverage over the lib dems leadership campaign? like the other big 2 british parties the lib dems are full of hypocrisy and confusion when it comes to LGBT people and issues - remember the 1983 bermondsey by-election campaign? simon hughes put out a leaflet titled "Simon Hughes the STRAIGHT choice" in a clear effort to stir up homophobia against Peter Tatchell who was labours candidate at the time now we find out he's been lying all along . LGBT people need to look for alternatives to the big mainstream pro business parties and we need to self organise we don't need equality we need a different society
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 2 Feb 2006, 12:07 pm    Post subject: Pres Bush Reply with quote

It's quite possible that gays voted for Bush because there are other issues that concern them besides gay rights. Issues like national defense, less dependence on foreign oil, and improving the education system in this country. I also believe that it is wrong to label people as far right and homophobic because they do not agree with you. I am a transgendered person and though I don't agree with Bush on some issues, I feel he is a lot more enlightened than people and the media give him credit for. He may not show his cards all the time, but he does have a plan.
My question is what did John Kerry have to offer the American people? The reason why the Democrats keeps losing is that they have no vision of the future, are very negative, and trash people who do not agree with them. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but you have to know WHY you have your beliefs. I have been wrong about a lot of things in my life and I have been corrected, much to my well being. That is something I am not afraid of.
I am concerned about transgender issues, of course, but I do not want another 9/11 either. That is just fact. One thing is true: if there is another attack on America, civil liberties will be curtailed. Mr. Bush's top priority is the national defense of America. Granted the administration may have fumbled on Katrina, however, the state is the first chain in the link before the federal government.
We should continue to work for the things we believe in. At the same time, respect for differing opinions can educate and, quite possibly, liberate us.

Gennee
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.