Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Leslie Feinberg

Reply to topic   Post new topic
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 30 Jan 2006, 8:02 am    Post subject: Leslie Feinberg Reply with quote

Has anyone read any of Leslie Feinberg's books? I read "Transgender Warriors" and "Translberation:Beyond Pink and Blue". I have "Stone Butch Blues" but haven't reade it yet. What do think about her books?

Gennee
moonda  

Posted: 31 Jan 2006, 6:18 am    Post subject: morgan in the mirror Reply with quote

Quote:
"Stone Butch Blues"

Leslie feinbergs books are good because he has lived the life. but when it comes to tg fiction on the topic of female trangenderism, i'd have to recommend Morgan in the Mirror by CC Saint-Clair. I found this book very sexy and very informative and very entertaining. It, more than Stone Butch, made me rethink the notion that sexuality is truly on a continuum.
Olympia  

Posted: 1 Feb 2006, 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read Stone Butch Blues by Feinberg, but none of the others mentioned. I found it to be a very moving story. Certain parts of the book are burned in my memory - mainly the scene where the main character, Jess (it's been awhile, but I THINK that's her name), is at the mental institution. I have interests in the mental illnesses so to read how in the end these characters experiences wrecked havoc on their psyche...well, it was enlightening to say the least. In the end, I saw Jess as someone who underwent surgery to *become* male out of convenience. Life would be a little less hellish for her and it would be easier to love who she loved if she were male (or so she thought). I never got the impression that she felt she was born the wrong sex - only that she wasn't free to be who she was because of strict attitudes at the time. It was a very moving story about an individual's story of survival and struggle for just a little bit of peace of out life.

I read a non fiction story of a MTF transsexual,...err I almost read the whole book. It got a bit depressing after his first surgery in Mexico so I put the book down and still haven't finished reading the book. The book is "Canary" by Canary Conn. It was published in 1974. Canary Conn actually felt she was born the wrong sex and I wanted to hear a real life account from that perspective. I was happy to have found that book at a used bookstore for $1.00.
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar

Posted: 2 Feb 2006, 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: morgan in the mirror Reply with quote

moonda wrote:
Quote:
"Stone Butch Blues"

Leslie feinbergs books are good because he has lived the life. but when it comes to tg fiction on the topic of female trangenderism, i'd have to recommend Morgan in the Mirror by CC Saint-Clair. I found this book very sexy and very informative and very entertaining. It, more than Stone Butch, made me rethink the notion that sexuality is truly on a continuum.

I will read the book you mentioned,Moonda. I would like to read other books that are different.

Gennee
gennee  

Posted: 2 Feb 2006, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympia wrote:
I've read Stone Butch Blues by Feinberg, but none of the others mentioned. I found it to be a very moving story. Certain parts of the book are burned in my memory - mainly the scene where the main character, Jess (it's been awhile, but I THINK that's her name), is at the mental institution. I have interests in the mental illnesses so to read how in the end these characters experiences wrecked havoc on their psyche...well, it was enlightening to say the least. In the end, I saw Jess as someone who underwent surgery to *become* male out of convenience. Life would be a little less hellish for her and it would be easier to love who she loved if she were male (or so she thought). I never got the impression that she felt she was born the wrong sex - only that she wasn't free to be who she was because of strict attitudes at the time. It was a very moving story about an individual's story of survival and struggle for just a little bit of peace of out life.

I read a non fiction story of a MTF transsexual,...err I almost read the whole book. It got a bit depressing after his first surgery in Mexico so I put the book down and still haven't finished reading the book. The book is "Canary" by Canary Conn. It was published in 1974. Canary Conn actually felt she was born the wrong sex and I wanted to hear a real life account from that perspective. I was happy to have found that book at a used bookstore for $1.00.

I will look for the book you mentioned, Olympia. Thank you for your comments.

Gennee
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.