Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Rejected by Lord Alfred Douglas

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Paloma  

Interests: I'm studying literature. So of course I'm interested in that. I am also interested in films and music. Well, Culture in general.
Physical Location: Roskilde - Denmark

Posted: 2 Mar 2006, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Rejected by Lord Alfred Douglas Reply with quote

I just wanted to share this poem with you. I don't know why I love it so much, possibly because it is sort of religious and I can relate to it. Here it is:

Rejected

Alas! I have lost my God,
My beautiful God Apollo.
Wherever his footsteps trod
My feet were wont to follow.

But Oh! It fell out one day
My soul was so heavy with weeping,
That I laid me down by the way;
And he left me while I was sleeping

And my soul awoke in the night,
And I bowed my ear for his fluting,
And I heard but the breath of the flight
Of wings and the night-birds hooting.

And the night drank all her cup,
And I went to the shrine in the hollow,
And the voice of my cry went up:
“Apollo! Apollo! Apollo!”

But he never came to the gate,
And the sun was hid in a mist,
And there came one walking late,
And he knew it was Christ.

He took my soul and bound it
With cords of iron wire,
Seven times round He wound it
With the cords of my desire.

The cords of my desire,
While my desire slept,
Were seven bands of wire
To bind my soul that wept.

And He hid my soul at last
In a place of stones and fears,
Where the hours like days went past
And the days went by like years.

And after many days
That which had slept awoke,
And desire burnt in a blaze,
And my soul went up in the smoke.

And we crept away from the place
And would not look behind,
And the angel that hides his face
Was crouched on the neck of the wind.

And I went to the shrine in the hollow
Where the lutes and the flutes were playing,
And cried: “I am come, Apollo,
Back to thy shrine, from my straying.”

But he would have none of my soul
That was stained with blood and with tears,
That had lain in the earth like a mole,
In the place of great stones and fears.

And now I am lost in the mist
Of the things that can never be,
For I will have none of Christ
And Apollo will none of me.

Lord Alfred Douglas - Paris, 1896
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 2 Mar 2006, 5:07 pm    Post subject: lord tennyson Reply with quote

Hi, Paloma. I read the poem and found it very revealing. I wonder if this poem was written near the end of his life? Just reading it, this is a poem that can read at a poetry recital. There's much emotion, anguish, regret, and wistfulness in it.

Gennee
Paloma  

Interests: I'm studying literature. So of course I'm interested in that. I am also interested in films and music. Well, Culture in general.

Posted: 7 Mar 2006, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He died in 1945, so it wasn't close to his death. I really like the poem, although, from what I have read about him, he does not seem to have been a very nice person. Still I think the poem is very good. Maybe because I have had sort of a struggle between Christianity and paganism. And I love the rhythm. I also wondered whether he though about the fact that Apollo had a lot of male lovers. I mean Christianity is not the religion that is most open towards homosexuality, especially not at the time when he wrote the poem. I think at that time the Greek Antiquity was seen as a gay heaven or something like that. Maybe that is an aspect of the poem too. Well, I don't know, I just wondered.
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar

Posted: 7 Mar 2006, 9:35 pm    Post subject: alfred douglas Reply with quote

Hi Paloma. I read alfred douglas's bio. He and oscar wilde were friends and lovers. I read some of his other poems, which were good. I hope you don't mind me asking; What is your view of Christianity?

Gennee
Paloma  

Posted: 8 Mar 2006, 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind you asking. I would say taht it depends on what kind of Christianity. My mother is a christian, and when I was a child she read the bible to me. i loved the stories. I still think a lot of the stories are great. Take the story about David and Jonathan for example. Tha is sweet. but in generel I think too many people are too Christian in the condeming way. I do not mind peoples religions as long as they don't condemn me and say I am going to hell for being who I am. I think my problems with the bible is that it is written by straight men. Fortunatly Jesus wasn't condemning, but I still think there are a lot of problems concerning womens rights. I guess a lot of it has to do with the way it is intepretted. Are you a Christian? Sorry for the spelling mistakes I had a problem with my spelling service.
gennee  

Posted: 11 Mar 2006, 3:40 pm    Post subject: Lord Alfred Douglas Reply with quote

Hi, Paloma. I read your recent post. I am a Christian and I love Jesus. I believe that God cares about people as individuals and wants the best or each one of us. My job is to proclaim Christ, not condemn. I believe and practice treating every person with dignity and respect. I think it's part of the reason I'm drawn to those who society puts down or condemns. There's too much of that. More people need to be lifted up, encouraged and told that they are special in God's eyes.

I have always been somewhat of an outsider, so I know how it feels. Paloma, one of the dreams I have for you and people on this site is to discover who they are and encourage them to reach their full potential. I'm 57, and I still have dreams that I am pursuing. With God's help, I have seen some of them come to fruition.

I hope that you find out what you want out of life and pursue your dreams.

GENNEE
Paloma  

Posted: 12 Mar 2006, 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Gennee. I completely agree with you. And that is why I said that I don't have a problem with religion. I am religious. I only have a problem with people who use their religion to keep other people down. I believe that religion can give you peace in mind. It certainly does for me. I live my life to the full and I believe it is what the Goddess/God want me to do. I wish you all the best.
gennee  

Posted: 12 Mar 2006, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Paloma
Read your post. I see your point. That's what I have seen and religion has been used to put down others. Thank you for responding. Feel free to correspond with me anytime.

Gennee
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.