Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: [b]Warm reception to south asian gay film 'Yours Emotionally

Reply to topic   Post new topic
roth  

Interests: Journalist
Physical Location: US

Posted: 13 Jun 2006, 7:50 pm    Post subject: [b]Warm reception to south asian gay film 'Yours Emotionally Reply with quote

Warm reception to south asian gay film 'Yours Emotionally!'

Sridhar Rangayan's new gay feature 'Yours Emotionally' premiered to a very warm reception in New York at a sold out show at New Fest, New York's gay & lesbian film festival. The film's humour sent the packed house into fits of laughter but also engaged them with its dramatic turn. It was acknowledged as entertaining as well as a brave effort in highlighting issues related to the gay mileiu in India. The film for the first time portrays two elderly gay couple in small town India and their relationship in an emotional way. One of the audience at NewFest felt "I thought the film was quite funny and also brought out the cultural diversity of south asian gay men in UK and India pretty realistically. I loved the fusion music."

New York's most widely read tabloid METRO (June 8) on its front page box recommended 'Yours Emotionally' as one of the two wildly diverse films to 'check out' at New Fest.

The film also received a good response at its screening in Queens Museum of Arts organized by Cinemarosa on June 11. An eclectic mix of art-house film enthusiasts and south asian youth were quite taken up by the film, saying 'Its a milestone in Indian queer cinema'.

This film, produced by Wise Thoughts, London, now travels to San Fransisco where it screens at Frameline 30 on June 24. The director Sridhar Rangayan who screened his earlier film 'The Pink Mirror' here two years ago feels, "Frameline, being one of the oldest and biggest queer festival, is going to be a great showcase for our film. I am completely overwhelmed by the response the film has received in New York. So many people came up to me and said they had heard such good things about the film but couldn't see it becase the show was sold out. It is a wonderful show of support for a film that we have made under great constraints in a country that is still largely homophobic."

"I wish more younger south asians too would come to see the film since it is such a sexy passionate love story which they would enjoy".

This UK-India collaborative film will also screen at MIT, Boston on June 30, a show organized by queer activist Parmesh Shahani.

Contacts :
More information about the Frameline screening at www.frameline.org and about the film at www.yoursemotionally.com

The director Sridhar Rangayan can be contacted on (US cell number) 551 556 0657 for any interviews.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.