Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Arlon Lindner

Reply to topic   Post new topic
LaurieJB  

Interests: travel, reading, art, social justice issues
Physical Location: Athens, OH

Posted: 13 Mar 2003, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Arlon Lindner Reply with quote

Arlon Lindner, a member of the Minnestoa House of Representatives, has recently stated that he believes that the Nazis never persecuted homosexuals during the Holocaust. Any thoughts on the matter? Any suggestions on how to educate this man about the truth?

LJB :)
wik  

Interests: History, the Web
Physical Location: Chicago

Posted: 14 Mar 2003, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Arlon Lindner Reply with quote

LaurieJB wrote:
Arlon Lindner, a member of the Minnestoa House of Representatives, has recently stated that he believes that the Nazis never persecuted homosexuals during the Holocaust. Any thoughts on the matter? Any suggestions on how to educate this man about the truth?

LJB :)

Laurie,

All that our friend Representative Lindner needs to do is pay a visit to Germany, especially to the Sachsenhausen concentration camp. I visited about four years ago. Sachsenhausen may be the camp in which more homosexuals were killed than any other, though I don't think that is certain. My visit there was informative, but emotionally horrible.

The major books that treat the holocaust (The Theory and Practice of Hell, for example), recognize that homosexuals were among the many groups persecuted, tortured, and murdered. I doubt, however, that Rep. Lindner is much interested in reading. If you would like a couple of photos from Sachsenhausen -- including a photo of a prison uniform emblazoned with a pink triangle, and a picture of the German plaque that memorializes the homosexuals killed in the camp -- let me know via private message. Be sure to include your e-mail address, and I'll send you copies of the photos. I am not sure that Representative Lindner will be swayed, though. Prejudice so often persists regardless of the facts.

I have seen one of the original posters that includes the official list of symbols for the various people tormented and murdered in concentration camps, and the pink triangle was one of them.

Antisemites have long denied the horrors of the holocaust for Jews, and it seems that that homophobes now wish to do deny the horrors of the holocaust for gays and lesbians.

What a tragedy.

Wik
isumner  

Interests: I'm a legal doctoral researcher in The Netherlands researching the private international law aspects related to non-marital forms of regulated realtionships (registered partnerships) with special attention to Belgium, England, France, the Netherlands and
Physical Location: Utrecht, Netherlands

Posted: 18 Apr 2003, 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am originally from Englanf anf now live in The Netherlands. I have been to Auschwitz and Dachau and can honestly say that once you has witnessed first hand the true reality of the attrorcities that were commiitted there, you can never accept the comment that these attoricities never happened. When mankind sinks to such depths, it's difficult for people to accept that this can happen, but believe me it did.

And I agree that anti-semitic people have tried to deny the holocaust ever happened and that homphobic people will try and do the same. But the clear fact is that this cannot be denied, there is overwhelming proof, not just from the Roehm massacre and the increasing severity of paragraph 175 of the German Civil Code in relation to homosexuality, but also from the clear evidence in The Netherlands and Germany with respect to the pink triangles used to represent homosexuals.

I suggest anyone interested in the topic to read the excellent but distubring book, The Pink Triangle by Richard Plant. It is exceptionally unbiased and provides a well-structured and clear account of the the thousands of homosexuals who died at the hands of the brutality of the Nazi regime from 1933-1945.

Let's hope that this never happens again. But to be honest, it seems that mankind never learns it's lesson since this has since happened numerous times: Kosovo, Rwanda, Somalia and so forth. When we will learn not to discriminate against one another.

With best wishes,

Ian
werechick  

Posted: 21 Apr 2003, 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindner lives in his own little world, the place that troubles him the least. I think, in his heart, it bothers him deeply that things like that have happened. But recognizing they happened gives him the moral obligation to prevent it from ever happening again. And he doesn't feel he can protect what he believes is wrong. So instead of choosing the lesser of two evils, he chooses ignorance of both.

It's sad.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.