Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Help writing an autobiography

Reply to topic   Post new topic
chileno  

Interests: Reading, writing, music, theater, life. Nature, wonder
Physical Location: Santiago, Chile

Posted: 15 Sep 2004, 10:58 am    Post subject: Help writing an autobiography Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of putting together an autobiography. Although, I am a young person (36), I have some experiences that I would like to share before I am too old to remember them. I am curious to know if there is such a thing as a "my first 35 years" type book or if such a thing would be advisable. I have spent a long time living in the US and now have moved back to my home country and wish to spend time writing away all those things I have seen and experienced.
I am also curious to know what resources are available to a first time writer. I have been considering doing this for a few years. Each year that passes, I feel it is more logical for me to take the time to write this stuff down.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any responses or emails will be appreciated.

El Chileno.
Sword  

Interests: Writer, Champion of the underdogs, Lay Minister, Registered Massage Therapy, playing pool, dancing, gardening
Physical Location: Galveston,Texas,USA

Posted: 12 Jun 2005, 3:02 pm    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

Hi, congratulations on wanting to get started on a project. I do not know of a book off hand that is about writing an autobiography. I do now that it is usually best to start with thinking what kind of format you would like to use. For instance you can tell it like a story with people using dialogue, as you remember it. Another way is to tell it from the outside looking in. It may or may not be chronilogical, if it is in snapshots, thay can be grouped into subjects, etc.
I have a book coming out that is on this forum under 'A new book'. The publisher that I used is Rosedog Books, they and their parent company Dorrance do something called subsidized publishing. You pay a portion of the printing costs and then get a percentage. I have found them to be very professional about my project. My project was a basic package because I did not need such things as proof-reading or editing services. My total was $2,400.
Good luck on getting your baby started.
Talk later,
Angel Eliza (Sword)
chileno  

Interests: Reading, writing, music, theater, life. Nature, wonder
Physical Location: Santiago, Chile

Posted: 12 Jun 2005, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice Reply with quote

Hi:

Thanks for writing a reply.
I will consider your advice. I am now in a work assignment in southern Chile. A beautiful place indeed.

Thanks.

El Chileno
Robert Mc  

Interests: Politics, gay issues, human rights, classical and ethnic music and art, alcoholism and drug addiction recovery, health and fitness, spirituality... We need support to fight homophobia by a hardcore of religious and political leaders who managed to con
Physical Location: Metro San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted: 15 Jun 2005, 6:40 pm    Post subject: I always wanted to write about my loca loco life up to 77+.. Reply with quote

I am now seventy-seven+ years old. Down through the years, I have always yearned to write an autobiographical kind of a book. A book which reveals all my dirty secrets and sets me free and gives something of value to my readers. Often friends will urge me to write a book. My entire career has been in writing in advertising and public relations.

Today, I frequently get political and gay letters in Readers' Viewpoint in THE SAN JUAN (PUERTO RICO) STAR. I had an small article published not too long ago in OUT IN JERSEY. I had a couple articles published in the gay newspaper PUERTO RICO BREEZE. There is a long article about my being entrapped and arrested in the 1950's coming out in a few days in the PUERTO RICO BREEZE. I have no idea of how it will be handled as far as graphic design. I actually submitted a photo of me in the 1950's when I was arrested and today at seventy-seven. These two photo of my youth and my golden years would tell a lot in my story about entrapment by the police.

Recently, I read an outstanding book, "Dry. A Memoir." by Augusten Burroughs. I recommend this book to anyone considering writing an autobiographical book. Burroughs is gay and a recovering alcoholic. He is much younger than I am but we have a lot in common. This is the kind of book I want to write and I think I am capable of writing. I am now reading his earlier book, "Running with Scissors" which is about his life before recovery as an alcoholic. I understand that a movie based on "Running with Scissors" is coming out in October 2005.

Sinclair Lewis was scheduled to teach a class of students on writing. When all his students showed up, he asked how many students really wanted to write a book. Every student raised his or her hand. Sinclair Lewis then said: "If you really want to write... to be a writer, then go home and start writing." He walked out of the classroom. I think Sinclair Lewis taught a great lesson in his class on how to write and how to be a writer.
brod  

Interests: playing Bach, climbing mountains, 19th cent watercolours, modern literature
Physical Location: Portugal

Posted: 17 Jul 2006, 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help writing an autobiography Reply with quote

chileno wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of putting together an autobiography. Although, I am a young person (36), I have some experiences that I would like to share before I am too old to remember them. I am curious to know if there is such a thing as a "my first 35 years" type book or if such a thing would be advisable. I have spent a long time living in the US and now have moved back to my home country and wish to spend time writing away all those things I have seen and experienced.
I am also curious to know what resources are available to a first time writer. I have been considering doing this for a few years. Each year that passes, I feel it is more logical for me to take the time to write this stuff down.
Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any responses or emails will be appreciated.

El Chileno.

May I say that at 36 I think you'd do better to concentrate on keeping a daily or regular journal. This is good practice in looking at the world about you, thinking carefully and honestly about yourself and other people, and writing as succinctly and effectively as possible. I started writing an account of myself in my fifties, using the material collected over the preceding thirty years. It took two years to do, and the difficult thing is not so much recording the facts and so on as in seeing oneself in perspective, from the outside as it were, making oneself into a story rather than merely a collection of incidents and uncertainties. Biographies tend to become either self-pitying or self-aggrandizing, and that makes for very dull reading for anyone else. The one thing to be said for maturity is that it can allow us to stand back and be more objective, less egotistical, and therefore more interesting
Robert Mc  

Interests: Politics, gay issues, human rights, classical and ethnic music and art, alcoholism and drug addiction recovery, health and fitness, spirituality... We need support to fight homophobia by a hardcore of religious and political leaders who managed to con
Physical Location: Metro San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted: 17 Jul 2006, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice Reply with quote

chileno wrote:
Hi:

Thanks for writing a reply.
I will consider your advice. I am now in a work assignment in southern Chile. A beautiful place indeed.

Thanks.

El Chileno

El Chileno:

The way to be a tennis player is to start playing tennis. The way to be a great dancer is to start dancing.... The same goes for writing. To be a writer, sit down and start writing. If you have talent for writing, the right words, thoughts and feelings will start flowing out you on to your computer screen.

Sometimes, I have a great need to write something. Yet, I do not know what words to use or how to organized my material. I start writing and it comes to me. It is almost like God or a Spiritual Force is using me as a channel. I am often surprise by what comes out of me.

Be careful who you ask about how to write. I know a student who was unique and brilliant as an artist. He went to the Arts Student League in New York City to learn how to be an artist. A very wise teacher pulled him aside and said: "Don't stay here to learn how to be an artist. You have a rare talent that can be stitled. GO HOME AN JUST START TO CREATE YOUR OWN ARTISTIC EXPRESSIONS. Let a spiritual force within you to guide you. Start painting and you will be surprise what will eventually appear on your canvas.
Bob

Chileno.... just start to write and write and write.... It will all fall in place if you are destined to be a writer.
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 18 Jul 2006, 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help writing an autobiography Reply with quote

chileno wrote:
Hello everyone,

El Chileno.

Hi, Chileno. I am a writer myself and it's nice that you want to write an autobiography. Keeping a journal is important. Jot down even the smallest seeming insignificant things because they may be part of your book. One good source is WritersDigest(www.WritersDigest.com). I write mainly short stories and essays.I always carry a pad and pen because ideas come at some unusual times and places. Good luck and keep us posted. If I get only resources, I'll let you know

Gennee
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.