Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Need for Gay Games in Chicago...

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Robert Mc  

Interests: Politics, gay issues, human rights, classical and ethnic music and art, alcoholism and drug addiction recovery, health and fitness, spirituality... We need support to fight homophobia by a hardcore of religious and political leaders who managed to con
Physical Location: Metro San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted: 19 Jul 2006, 7:51 am    Post subject: Need for Gay Games in Chicago... Reply with quote

"...The heart of the Gay Games is not just winning or even being surrounded by gay people (5 percent of the competitors are straight), participants and organizers say. It is self-empowerment in a world where homophobia has dropped precipitously but is far from gone..."

Here in Puerto Rico, straight players are welcomed and often play with the local gay Rainbow Tennis Association players at island tennis courts. I attended a couple of these games and couldn't tell the straights from the gays. The only concern of the players was winning a good game of tennis regardless of sexual orientations. This demonstrated true sportsmanship to me and others watching these games.

Puerto Rico is being represented at the Gay Games in Chicago. When will Puerto Rico have sufficient love and tolerance to have the Gay Games played on the "Enchanted Island"?Probably when this happens, there will no longer be a need for Gay Games. I have a feeling it will happen sooner than later. Among Puerto Rican youth, I sense there is not that much homophobia despite the constant efforts to come across as macho.

--- Robert McCarroll - Carolina, Puerto Rico

Copyrighted material deleted by board admin.
Robert Mc  

Interests: Politics, gay issues, human rights, classical and ethnic music and art, alcoholism and drug addiction recovery, health and fitness, spirituality... We need support to fight homophobia by a hardcore of religious and political leaders who managed to con

Posted: 21 Jul 2006, 6:02 pm    Post subject: Injustice done to my friend at the Gay GamesVII - Chicago Reply with quote

Attention: Editorial - The Chicago Tribune & Josh Noel - staff writer
Viewpoint Editors - The San Juan Star

MIGUEL'S BEAUTIFUL DREAM HAS BECOME AN UGLY NIGHTMARE
The injustice done to my Puerto Rican friend at the Gay Games VII
in Chicago 2006 is an outrage. I am disgusted and ashamed!

Miguel and I both live in Puerto Rico. Miguel is Puerto Rican living in Bayamon. I am a former stateside Irishman now happily retired in a condo in Carolina. For the past three years or less, Miguel has been playing tennis as an amateur. He can only practice in the evenings and on weekends. He never played professionally. He is somewhat new to tennis as a sport to devote a lot of time to playing.

He has visited the United States three times before his trip to the Gay Games VII in Chicago. I encouraged Miguel to save his money in order have sufficient funds to participate in the Chicago Gay Games VII from July 15 to 22. I convinced him that this event would have a positive impact for the rest of his life. I felt the games would do a lot to validate him as a Puerto Rican visiting the "Promised Land." It will prove to him that he is not second-class anything. He is strictly first class!

Puerto Ricans are treated as second-class American citizens who cannot vote for the President or the Vice President of the United States. Neither can they have voting representation in both houses of the United State Congress. However, far too many Puerto Ricans have died and been seriously wounded in fighting for American democracy. It is astonishing how many Puerto Ricans have won the United States highest merit recognition: "The Medal of Honor." I was expecting to prove to Miguel on his trip to Chicago that stateside Americans are as fair and considerate as are his Puerto Rican relatives and friends living on the "Enchanted Island" of Puerto Rico. I hoped to prove my point with his trip to the Gay Games VII that most Americans are not cold and unfeeling. They are not cruel. They have a sense of fairness.

Though Miguel is an amateur tennis player, my gut told me that he would practice hard and win medals in Chicago because he tries to do his best in any competition. He does not want to be a second-class tennis player.

Within the past year, he developed severe back pains which the doctors said are caused by his tennis playing. However, despite the doctors' advice, Miguel would continue to play tennis despite the back pains. He loved tennis too much to let his back pains stop him. He feared that his back pains would be worse in Chicago and keep him from playing a great game of tennis. He said he would go to Chicago despite any pain. Winning for himself and Puerto Rico was important.

When he arrived in Chicago on July 14, he was in Heaven. He was favorably impressed by the the opening ceremonies the next day. He started to play tennis in Class D from the first day of the matches July 16. The managers of the games put him in Class D based on his three years of playing as a beginning amateur and on questions that they asked him. His answers were honest. They watched him playing each day without ever questioning his qualifications to play. Each day they awarded him medals for winning matches to move up to a more important medal. He was filled with joy and pride for playing great and honest tennis. His friends in Puerto Rico were proud of Miguel and his partner Hector. We looked forward to hearing each day about his latest accomplishments playing tennis at those wonderful Gay Games VII in Chicago.

He played as an amateur in Puerto Rico with the Rainbow Tennis Association and straight tennis groups. What he always marvelled about playing in Puerto Rico was the fact that he was allowed to play because he was a good player and not because of his sexual orientation. Most of time he was not aware whether another player was gay or straight. Miguel was only interested in playing a good game with great players. Many who know Miguel would call him an over-achiever. Straights and gays play together in Puerto Rico with love and tolerance. Miguel is a par excellant example of love and tolerance.

Every day, he would call me on his cellular to let me know how he was doing in Chicago. On the Internet, I could obtain his Player Profile which gave his name that he represented the U.S.A. and lived in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. His partner Hector was also a member of the Puerto Rico Rainbown Tennis Association and was listed as from Guaynabo, Puerto Rico. These two Puerto Rican players were winning medals daily as they qualified squarely and fairly for the next match. His friends and relatives in Puerto Rico were proud of Miguel and Hector for being great players and working hard to win. I could sense a tremendous amount of joy in Miguel's voice as he told me about his latest winnings each day. He was on cloud nine. The trip to the Gay Games VII - Chicago - 2006 was worth it.

Today, July 21, the last day for the tennis games, I receive a short, sad email from Miguel which made me want to vomit with disgust for the Gay Games VII. What kind of a&#holes are making unfair and cruel decisions that could affect a player's self-esteem for a lifetime? Late yesterday, July 20, one of the competing players complained that Miguel was over qualified for his class. This complaint was made five days in the late afternoon after Miguel and Hector were playing and winning medals every day before the judges who were observing Miguel and Hector. Today, six days into game without any challenges except for the one made yesterday without Miguel's knowledge, an official representing the Gay Games VII came up to Miguel and told him that he was over-qualified for Class D. He should have been in Class C. THEY TOOK AWAY HIS MEDALS. HOW CRUEL AND DESPITABLE! THEY ACTED AS IF THEY WERE GOD. MIGUEL COULD NOT CHALLENGE THEM. I wonder what a good lawyer would advise?

Why did they wait to the last day -- six days later -- to make this decision? I don't think Miguel was over-qualified. He and Hector were two darn good players. I have known Miguel since 1986. He has always impressed me as being an over-achiever more than over-qualified to be in a tennis match class. When properly motivated, Miguel knew how to do the impossible. He is always winning trophies for playing pool and other games in Puerto Rico. He could even win a salsa dance competition. Miguel doesn't believe in being second best in playing sports or winning a political argument. He is just good at what he does. He may be treated as a second-class American citizen, but he refuses to be a second class player in tennis or any other competition. I despise the Gay GamesVII managers for treating him even less than second-class. They were not fair or compassionate. They should move to Puerto Rico and learn how to feel and have a soul.

I called him on his cellular after I received his laptop email about being disqualified for being over qualified and his medals being taken away from him. I couldn't believe in such cruelty. It was heartbreaking talking to him. He is trying to turn the other cheek instead of being mad as hell and wanting to sue the unfeeling a&#holes at the Gay Games VII! He told me that he was not cheating and entered into the tournment in good faith. Though they unexpectedly and coldly took his medals away from him, in his heart he knows he is still the winner just as he knows in his heart for years that he is not a second-class American citizen either.

Miguel will find a way to deal with his beautiful Gay Games VII dream turning into an ugly nightmare. What can we do to comfort Miguel and his partner Hector in this injustice done to them? Was an injustice done to Miguel?
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 22 Jul 2006, 10:37 am    Post subject: Poor job by officials? Reply with quote

My question is was this thoroughly investigated or was the dissenting party a majority of one.Why didn't they correct the matter before the tennis competition. It's not Miguel's fault at all. He showed his skills with flying colors. It sounds like he is taking a mature approach in handling this matter. Keep me posted on his progress.

Gennee
Robert Mc  

Posted: 23 Jul 2006, 7:29 am    Post subject: Official Roster has Miguel as the winner July 21- 7:40PM Reply with quote

Official Roster still has Miguel as winning matches - July 21 - 7:40 PM... The end of all the matches...

[Email message to Miguel and friends...]

Miguel: If you were disqualified the afternoon of July 21, why are you still listed on the official roster of Players Profiles as winning these tennis matches as of July 21, 2006, 7:40 PM?

Most of my friends, who are active in sporting competitions, tell me that it is unheard of to let a player play all the matches for the entire six days; and then, disqualify him at the end. It could happen if he is taking drugs but not because of the quality of his playing. It also is strange to disqualify someone because he is over-qualified for playing excellent - outstanding -- tennis matches.

Could it be that the person who filed a complaint against you near the end of the matches could be under-qualified to be playing tennis in any class at the Gay Games VII - Chicago - 2006? Imagine if a player is under-qualified he can become the winner by complaining that the winner is over-qualified. This does not sound like the purpose for a fair, honest sporting completion.

For example this was posted on:
http://www.glbtq.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?p=2098#2098

"... Posted: 22 Jul 2006, 10:37 am Post subject: Poor job by officials?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is was this thoroughly investigated or was the dissenting party a majority of one.Why didn't they correct the matter before the tennis competition. It's not Miguel's fault at all. He showed his skills with flying colors. It sounds like he is taking a mature approach in handling this matter. Keep me posted on his progress.

Gennee ..."

All my friends agree with me and Gennee.... Despite this outrageous behavior against you, we all love and repect you highly. You are a great tennis player despite the possible injustice done to you. Or did the judges ultimately change their wrong decision against you and AGREE THAT YOU AND HECTOR ARE THE WINNERS?

We are eager to see you to let you know how we feel...

--- Love .... Bob

----- Original Message -----
To: Miguel

Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 8:36 AM
Subject: They still have you as winning matches - July 21 - 7:40 PM

Gay Games VII

Player Profile

Miguel Ramirez (US)

Residence: Bayamon, PR
Birthplace: Unknown
Height: Unknown
Plays: Unknown
Coaching: Unknown

Complete Bio

Men's D Singles

On Draw Line #24

Main Draw:

64 Win vs. Juan Moreno Def (ns)
32 Win vs. Wayne Rash 6-1;6-3
16 Win vs. Brian Determan 6-2;6-3
QF Win vs. Kevin Lepisto 6-2;6-0
SF Win vs. Will Gorges 6-2;6-3
F Loss vs. Steve Wroten 2-6;2-5 Def (ns)

Men's D Doubles

On Draw Line #20
Partner: Hector M. Baez-Ramos

Main Draw:

32 Bye
16 Win vs. Hernandez/Pike 7-6(7);6-0
QF Win vs. Lepisto/White 6-2;6-1
SF Win vs. Camacho/Rolon 6-3;6-4
F Loss vs. Gorges/Kelley Def (pe)

Round Legend

F = Finals QQ = Quarterfinal Qualifier
PL = Playoff R5 = Round 5
SF = Semifinals 5Q = Round 5 Qualifier
QF = Quarterfinals R4 = Round 4
16 = Round of 16 4Q = Round 4 Qualifier
32 = Round of 32 R3 = Round 3
64 = Round of 64 3Q = Round 3 Qualifier
128 = Round of 128 R2 = Round 2
256 = Round of 256 R1 = Round 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information last updated on July 21, 2006 at 7:40 PM
Contact Teresa Adams with any corrections
Robert Mc  

Posted: 23 Jul 2006, 6:37 pm    Post subject: More info about Miguel's injustice at Chicago Gay Games VII. Reply with quote

Read all the posted messages and even post your own message in addition to this message:
http://www.glbtq.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?p=2098#2098

being disqualified at Chicago Gay Games VII - 2006...

I received more information about Miguel and Hector being disqualified for being over-qualified playing tennis at the Gay Games VII - Chicago - 2006.

The person, Will Gorges, who filed the complain VERY, VERY LATE in the games actually lived in Chicago though he registered as living in California. The Gay Games VII were in Chicago. Did Will Gorges have connections with gay games officials living in Chicago to rule in his favor? The power to make decisions were more with stateside players speaking English rather than with players from Puerto Rico who had English as a secondary language and Spanish as their primary language. In fact, some of the players from Puerto Rico could only speak Spanish fluently. It was not an even playing field to challenge the decision. The statesiders were able to pull rank and intimidate the Puerto Ricans. It came across to many Puerto Rican tennis players as pulling rank and strong arming the Puerto Ricans from the territory to not challenge the mainland Gay Games officials.

Near the very end of the games Miguel was winning and then was disqualified unfairly AT THE VERY, VERY END. The last day of the games the judges decided that they did not like the style of Miguel playing with excellence. They decided late in the games that his ability to do difficult strokes indicated that he was over-qualified and therefore must be disqualified. He appeared to be too professional though he never played professionally in his life. At the very end of the games, he was unexpectedly disqualified -- not early in the games at the beginning when he was observed at all times by the same judges who kept giving him medals. On the sixth day the judges had a different viewpoint because a hometown player from Chicago was losing and needed a ploy to win unfairly.

The rug was pulled out from under Miguel and Hector, so to speak. Spiritually he and Hector were the winners but legally according to the Chicago statesiders he must be disqualified because they considered him to be over-qualified. His style of playing was too "professional." This smells as a set up. It is okay to be under-qualified but bad to be over-qualified??? The guy who finally won... won by default by kicking Miguel out of the competition was Will Gorges' partner. He did not win because he was proven a better player by playing the games. It was not a fair decision. Someone from Ohio (Chicago also???) ended up being the Champion instead of someone from Puerto Rico.

In all the times Miguel played with straight players in Puerto Rico, he was never discriminated against or treated unfairly as he was by stateside gay players and officials of the Gay Games VII - Chicago - 2006. Maybe, Puerto Ricans can expect love and tolerance more from straight Puerto Ricans than from stateside gay tennis players and Gay Games officials.

I have written several emails on this outrageous injustice. Many gay and straight Puerto Ricans and island Gringos read what I wrote. Even the most macho straight guys had tears in their eyes as they read about the injustice done to Miguel and Hector. They all said: "Disgusting!" They wonder if this is what the residents of the fifty state are really like. Does this behavior against Miguel and Hector violate the the very purpose of the Gay Games?

I do not understand tennis. However, Miguel is back in Puerto Rico. I asked him to explain to me the entire process of his successfully playing the singles and the doubles. He showed me two charts that can be accessed with the following two links:

http://www.tennisinformation.com/tourny/5/1/6/2/9/5/0/draw-64-mf.asp

http://www.tennisinformation.com/tourny/5/1/6/2/9/5/0/draw-14-mf.asp

This should be investigated. The officials who disqualified Miguel were playing dirty and very late in the game. I will have absolutely no respect for the Gay Games VII - 2006 - if all this is swept under carpet.

What is worth noting is that when Will Gorges (not from California but from Chicago) beat two Puerto Ricans earlier in the competition, he was happy and filed no complaint. However, when Puerto Ricans Miguel and Hector beat Will Gorges, he filed a complained six days into the games. Why? He could not play fair and square and decided to use a ploy to get Miguel unfairly and dishonestly disqualified. Read the chart. The evidence is there. AN INJUSTICE MOST CERTAINLY WAS DONE AGAINST MIGUEL. I WONDER IF THE TOP MANAGEMENT OF THE GAY GAMES VII ARE AWARE OF ALL THIS? THEY SHOULD BE.... They should be honest and undo an injustice...

Robert McCarroll - Carolina, Puerto Rico - 787-448-8470 - bobinpr@caribe.net
Robert Mc  

Posted: 24 Jul 2006, 8:30 am    Post subject: Miguel deserved same fairness as new Miss Universe. Reply with quote

To: viewpoint@sjstar.net ; jbnoel@tribune.com ; Info@GayGamesChicago.org
Cc: thomas koontz ; Sen. Kenneth D. McClintock ; Robert McCarroll ; Pedro Julio Serrano ; Miguel Ramírez ; Linda Rapp ; jfcolon062@aol.com ; info@woso.com ; guaynabo1@prtc.net
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 9:28 AM
Subject: Puerto Rican Miguel and Hector deserved the same fair play that Zuleyka received.

Re: Congratulations to Zuleyka, Another Miss Universe for Puerto Rico

--- In LUISFORTUNO2008@yahoogroups.com , "Mark \"Coquilogan\" Lauer"
Mcoquilogan@...> wrote:

Great Job Zulky....you represented Puerto Rico brillantly and with
class and dignity.....

I wish tennis players Miguel and Hector were treated with the same
fairness and dignity at the Gay Games VII in Chicago as beautiful
Zuleyka was treated at the Miss Universe Pageant in Los Angeles...

THEY ARE WINNERS as is the new Miss Universe!!! THEY ARE ALL NOT SECOND-
CLASS BUT STRICTLY FIRST CLASS IN THEIR RESPECTIVE AREAS OF COMPETITION.
Robert Mc  

Posted: 27 Jul 2006, 9:37 am    Post subject: Lots have happened since I last posted about gay games... Reply with quote

Here is the complete file of exchange of email regarding what I called an injustice to the Puerto Rican tennis players at the Gay Games VII - Chicago - 2006. The latest information I obtained is that an official from the national tennis association came to observe Miguel in the morning of the second day of the matches. This official observed Miguel for a long period of time. When Miguel finished playing this match, the national tennis association official tap Miguel with friendly gesture on the shoulder nd told Miguel that he is okay and good luck. He saw not need to disqualify Miguel for the way he played tennis. He did not feel that Miguel was over qualified. Also, many of the other player in Class D had a 3.0 rating. i wish there was an independent organization who could check out what many us consider an injustice. Hector, Miguel's partner couldn't understand the ruthless treatment, and broke down crying. The guy who filed the complaint during the final phase, was most definitely with the Chicago crowd. They kept cheering him on when he played against Miguel and other players.... Robert Mc

Here is the exchange of emails with Kevin Boyer, co vice-president of the Chicago games. This exchange of emails will indicate that something was foul in Denmark... Sequence of the emails is from the latest received to the earliest. You may want to start at the end and work up to the latest...

Kevin Boyer:

I received this email from Miguel Ramirez which he sent to you and cc. Robert McCarroll. I am now forwarding it to all those I copied and will eventually post this entire exchange on the Internet. I have a strong feeling that you are trying to cover-up an injustice done to two players from Puerto Rico. I will not let go until I am certain that you have been honest and upfront with us. It all does not make sense to us. I have kept a complete file of what happened and exchanges of communications.

I have heard two different highly vague explanations from you that are in conflict. In one explanation, it is stated that Gay Games VII officials observed Miguel and Hector in the very last game before deciding who will be champion. After this observation almost at the very end, the Gay Games VII observers said that after observing Miguel's and Hector's superb quality of playing tennis, it was decided to disqualify them because their over-qualified style of playing tennis. Of course, it is not honestly mentioned that Miguel and Hector were observed for six days with no questions from the judges. [If you were a judge at a champion horse race, would you disqualify a horse as being over qualified because he was way out front in the final stretch to the finished line?]

The other vague reason you give, when it is opportune to do so, is that Miguel and Hector knew their ratings before the Gay Games VII; and therefore, should have never entered the competition in the D Class. If this information was readily available before the matches it was available to you as well. Why didn't the judges or tournament directors check the available ratings before the start of the games and tell Miguel he should be in Class C? It was not Miguel's or Hector's responsibility to make this decision when you already had the ratings to decide what Class they should play in. Also, it seems your rule is confusing [ "...explain the categories is not accurate. If the D division is for player below 3.0 should say <3.0 but it say 3.0< which means 3.0 or less not less than 3.0. ..." -- Miquel Ramirez] You harmed not only Miguel and Hector with your faulty 3.0 rule wording, but the other players as well.

I have scanned the charts just in case some one may want to alter the charts for the final singles and double matches. It is not that I do not trust you.... I just wanted to play safe with the evidence.

I hope some sharp and concerned tennis expert in Puerto Rico will write an article on how "Two Puerto Rican Tennis Players Were Not A Match for Mainland Style Non-Sportsmanship." I believe in playing rough.... I DO NOT CONDONE PLAYING UNFAIR OR STRONG-ARM PLOYS.

Robert McCarroll -- Carolina, Puerto Rico

To: Kevin Boyer GGVII
Cc: Robert McCarroll
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 9:54 AM
Subject: spam: Re: 2 Puerto Rican Tennis Players at the Gay Games

Kevin;

The table that explain the categories is not accurate. If the D division is for player below 3.0 should say <3.0 but it say 3.0< which means 3.0 or less not less than 3.0. Also if you enter into the USTA rating section and search the players in the D division, 75% are in the USTA 3.0 Division. But I was the only disqualify because I was the only 3.0 that reached the finals. So the problem was not that I'm 3.0 but my skills. During my second game, in the Daley Bicentennial Park, a USTA person was in the court during all second set watching my game and he consider that my levels was ok because if not he would eliminate me in that moments like you do in the finals when the game was 6-2 5-2 in my advantadge, only one point to championship. The guy I beat in semi finals has an server of almost 90 mph mine does not reach the 50mph. The player I was baten in the finals beat my friend Hector, which is a 3.0, in the quaterfinals, so the player is in our same game levels. I was not abusing. None of the players I beat was begginers. The rules should apply for everyone the same. But I have the satisfaction none of the 3.0 playing there could beat me. I hope the gold medal winner feel ok with a medal after losing 6-2 5-2.

To: Kevin Boyer GGVII
Cc: viewpoint@sjstar.net ; thomas koontz ; Sen. Kenneth D. McClintock ; Phillip Arroyo ; Pedro Julio Serrano ; Miguel Ramírez ; Linda Rapp ; jfcolon062@aol.com ; glbtq ; guaynabo1@prtc.net ; jbnoel@tribune.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 10:40 PM
Subject: Re: 2 Puerto Rican Tennis Players at the Gay Games

Kevin Boyer, Board Co-Vice Chair
Marketing Committee Chair
Gay Games VII Sports & Cultural Festival
15-22 July 2006 - Chicago USA
Direct Line: (773) 561-2704
Email: kevin.boyer@gaygameschicago.org

"...Players identify their own divisions when they register for the Gay Games. This is not done by the tournament managers on site as you have written..." --- Kevin Boyer

"...It is the obligation of the tournament directors to evaluate players who appear to be in divisions that are not warranted. It is unfortunate that it took so long to determine that our rules had been violated but with almost 1,000 players in the draw, sometimes these rules violations aren't discovered until later in a tournament. The more significant damage was done by the two players who defeated individuals in the tennis draw, eliminating them unfairly from the tournament, before the rules violation was discovered. Those players deserved to play against individuals at their own level and their tournaments were cut short by the unfair matchups..." --- Kevin Boyer

"...The Gay Games tennis rules clearly indicate the requirements to be entered in divisions D & C. The two individuals have USTA ratings that required they be in the "C" division. These ratings are known to all players well in advance and the players are listed in online databases..." ---Kevin Boyer

Robert McCarroll -- Since the USTA ratings for players are easily available and well known in advance as you stated, I see not reason why each person when registering cannot have it confirmed by tournament directors what class he or she should play in. These ratings should be at the registration center. It should not be the responsibility of those registering. Also, by tournament directors being able to assign or confirm the class before the games begin, "Those players deserved to play against individuals at their own level and their tournament were cut short by unfair matchups." would have been prevented. This protection could easily have been provided by the tournament directors from the very beginning and was not. It is your responsibility to provide this protection as early as possible .... not the two players from Puerto Rico.

"...Your various emails and posts say that this was motivated by some desire to secure more medals for Chicagoans or some bias against people from Puerto Rico. This is, of course, false. To begin with, tennis officials who are not from Chicago made the decision..." -- Kevin Boyer

Robert McCarroll - I only stated that though Will Gorges registered as being from California several players said that he and his partner actually lived in Chicago. If this is true, why did they give out-of-state residences when registering? I never contacted Will Gorges and he was never given my email address by me. However, he wrote to me using my email address. I assumed that he must know someone in the Gay Games VII Chicago office in order to obtain my email. --- If you read my emails carefully, you see that at no time did I imply that tennis officials held a bias against people from Puerto Rico. What I did state loud and clear was that the idea behind the Gay Games is the same as accepting Latinos. Miguel's going to Chicago was an effort on his part to validate himself as a gay person, as a tennis player and as a Puerto Rican who is not a second-class citizen. What the tournament directors devaluated the three main reasons he participated in the Gay Games VII in Chicago by the injustice they did to him.

"...There is no need for further replies at this point. I wanted to make sure that those copied on these emails understood that this was a sports rules issue only..." -- Kevin Boyer

Robert Mc Carroll - My dear Mr. Boyer, I don't think the decision for further replies is YOUR DECISION ONLY. It sounds like you may want to use your position to strong arm me. I want to have the truth and need to ask questions to arrive at the truth. I hope you are not only interested in changing the minds of the people who I included in this exchange of information. Personally, my Irish gut tells me that you treated these two young men from Puerto Rico outrageously. Let's see now .... They have been playing for six days in front your tournament directors -- judges. Then, just before the final match... they are disqualified and cannot continue to play because they were over qualified and should have been in Class C rather than Class D. Logically, this smells rotten.
If they were over-qualified, your tournament directors were not doing their job and cheated the other players out of playing matches they should have been playing. If the two players from Puerto Rico were [not - corrected typo] cheating ... the tournament directors cheated these two players. YOU CANNOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS AND DON'T FEED ME THE NONSENSE THAT THE DECISION COULD ONLY BE MADE BEFORE THE VERY LAST MATCH. THE INFORMATION WAS AVAILABLE FROM THE BEGINNING. YOU NEVER GAVE A DETAILED REPORT AS TO HOW YOU ARRIVED AT YOUR DECISION TO DISQUALIFIED SOMEONE OVER QUALIFIED.

Since I am not God and I believe in fair play.... PLEASE FEEL FREE TO REPLY TO ME AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. THE MORE INFORMATION THE BETTER AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED.

Robert McCarroll
"Enchanted Island"
Puerto Rico

To: Robert McCarroll
Cc: viewpoint@sjstar.net ; thomas koontz ; Sen. Kenneth D. McClintock ; Phillip Arroyo ; Pedro Julio Serrano ; Miguel Ramírez ; Linda Rapp ; jfcolon062@aol.com ; glbtq ; guaynabo1@prtc.net ; jbnoel@tribune.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: 2 Puerto Rican Tennis Players at the Gay Games

Robert;

It is every athlete's responsibility to ensure that they are in the proper division for their sport. The information was widely available and even available in Spanish (should language have been an issue). As you've noted, the players in question have played in multiple tournaments - enough to have earned a 3.0 USTA rating and these tournaments all have the same rules. As I mentioned before, with almost 1,000 tennis players in the draw, the tournament directors must rely the players to self- monitor and police the situation. They did so, even if the challenges came unfortunately late in the tournament.

I disagree with the irresponsible strategy of calling people anti-Latino, claiming injustice or implying prejudice just to be a "squeaky wheel." In this case, the two players clearly violated the rules of the Gay Games tennis tournament. This was a disappointment to be sure for all concerned, but you make the situation worse by making them appear to be unsportsmanlike in the aftermath.

There is no need for further replies at this point. I wanted to make sure that those copied on these emails understood that this was a sports rules issue only. Again, thank you for your input.

Kevin Boyer
Gay Games VII

Robert McCarroll wrote:

Kevin Boyer GGVII:

Thank you for responding to my emails. As I said, I do not know anything about tennis. It all sounded unfair to me because it seemed these decisions to select a class should have been decided before the games. GGVII should have been more involved. It was almost near the very end of the games that Miguel and his partner, Hector, were disqualified for being in the wrong class.

I am a gadfly in Puerto Rico who makes a lot of buzzing if I feel an injustice was done. I am always posting on the internet blogs, calling in to talk radio and getting published in Readers' Viewpoint letters in The San Juan Star and other publications. I know Miguel since 1986. If he did something wrong, it was not intentional. I only wish someone could have pulled him aside at the very beginning to move him into Class C before the games began. -- I do not know his partner Hector except that I met him briefly some time ago. -- I am positive if Miguel was in Class C, he would have been a medal winner for different matches as much as he was in Class D. What a sad situation that he was not in Class C.

I sent many l my emails concerning this matter to make certain that a friend was not unfairly harmed. I wanted the squeaky wheel to get the grease. I made a lot of loud squeaking sounds to make certain that an injustice was not being done to Miguel or his friend. My career involved public, governmental and community press relations. I was trained keeping communicating until someone takes action.

If you lived here in Puerto Rico as a former stateside non-Latino, you would have some insight into understanding my concern and wanting to make certain that no unfairness was done to a Puerto Rican friend. Living in both the United States and in Puerto Rico, I have unfortunately experienced stateside prejudice against my Puerto Rican friends. For example, while living in Sarasota, Florida, stateside Americans referred to Miguel with nasty prejudice as " Bob's Pineapple." They put this wonderful, hansome, sweet person down because he was a Puerto Rican. When Miguel was in military service in the United States, stateside army guys made fun of his being Puerto Rican and his Spanish accent. He called me from his military training base for comfort and to tell him how someone could hate him because he is Puerto Rican. It seems that there is a pecking order in the service even among minority groups.

When I first met Miguel, he had no comprehension of being prejudice because a person was different or not mainstream. Miguel is the most non-prejudical person I know. He did not know that ugly slurs and cruel names were given to gay people or groups in other minorities. I couldn't believe that he did not know the most common pejorative slang words given by hate groups to people who were in a minority or different. Miguel's innocence or lack of prejudice represents the very ideal of the Gay Games. He still has this innocence. I hope he never loses it. I wanted the Gay Games VII to be an opportunity for Miquel to validate himself as a worthwhile Child of God.

I am certain that you and your GGVII associates are an honorable and feel as I do. Being anti-Latino is as ugly and painful to a Puerto Rican as being anti-gay to gay person. I am certain you are not prejudiced and you are a loving person. I lived most of my youth in upstate New York. -- I personally knew Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt as a student at Hyde Park Elementary and Franklin D. Roosevelt. High. She had a profound influence on my life. -- I learned very early in life to yell out and get attention when I felt an injustice was being done. Though I was not at the Stonewall Riots, I remember them. Much more than docile, quiet, sweet Miguel, I am a fighter for causes. I am a natural for "Act Up." I do not turn my other cheek or hide my tears.

I wanted to make certain that my friends from Puerto Rico was not harmed unfairly. Perhaps, Miguel and Hector made a mistake in not entering in Class C. I am certain it was not intentional. I only wished he entered in Class C because he still would have won many medals. It is a shame that you could not have been there to make certain he registered into Class C. There is something tragic about some Puerto Rican sports players. There is a new biography out "Roberto Clemente - The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero" by David Maraniss. In some ways, Miguel and several other Puerto Rican friends remind me of Roberto Clemente.

Again, thank you for replying to me. I hope the Gay Games would change its procedures to make certain that every player enters in the games at the proper class before the games start. I still think it is sad what happened to my friend Miguel and his partner Hector. I copied many people in Puerto Rico, especially local gay activists, to make certain they knew what was happening and could support Miguel and Hector if an injustice was done against them. I worked in communications with large global companies in New York City. I was trained to carbon copy important contacts. If I was going to be a voice in the wilderness, I wanted to make certain that others will at least hear my lonely voice crying out to help my Puerto Rican friends. That is why I copy so many hoping it will hit the right person to take action.

Robert McCarroll
4 Avenue Laguna - Apt. 9G
Carolina, PR --979-6432
Cellular: 787-448-8470
bobinpr@caribe.net

To: bobinpr@caribe.net
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 2:54 PM
Subject: 2 Puerto Rican Tennis Players at the Gay Games

Dear Robert;

I have read some of your emails and posts regarding the two tennis players who were disqualified from the Gay Games tournament because they had entered themselves in a division lower than their rating required. I have blind copied the people on your original emails, though I'm not sure why some of them were included.

The Gay Games tennis rules clearly indicate the requirements to be entered in divisions D & C. The two individuals have USTA ratings that required they be in the "C" division. These ratings are known to all players well in advance and the players are listed in online databases. The division in which they were entered - "D" - is clearly marked for beginners with those who have lower USTA ratings. The rules on our website posted at http://www.gaygameschicago.org/sports/competitions.php?mgroup=Tennis clearly identify the division requirements and indicate that players may be defaulted if they play in a division for which they are not eligible. Players identify their own divisions when they register for the Gay Games. This is not done by the tournament managers on site as you have written.

It is the obligation of the tournament directors to evaluate players who appear to be in divisions that are not warranted. It is unfortunate that it took so long to determine that our rules had been violated but with almost 1,000 players in the draw, sometimes these rules violations aren't discovered until later in a tournament. The more sigificant damage was done by the two players who defeated individuals in the tennis draw, eliminating them unfairly from the tournament, before the rules violation was discovered. Those players deserved to play against individuals at their own level and their tournaments were cut short by the unfair matchups.

Your various emails and posts say that this was motivated by some desire to secure more medals for Chicagoans or some bias against people from Puerto Rico. This is, of course, false. To begin with, tennis officials who are not from Chicago made the decision. Additionally, having worked for 2.5 years with individuals in Puerto Rico to try and get additional representation from Puerto Rico in the Gay Games, I can assure you that nothing would have made us happier than medals for competitors from Puerto Rico. But these medals must earned legitimately. Playing in the wrong tennis division clearly violates the rules of fair play.

Thank you for your comments.
--

>> Tickets.GayGamesChicago.org <<

--

>> Tickets.GayGamesChicago.org <<
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.