Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: GLBTQ vs. LGBTQ

Reply to topic   Post new topic
tdempsey  

Physical Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Posted: 19 Apr 2003, 3:56 pm    Post subject: GLBTQ vs. LGBTQ Reply with quote

This may be a thorny question - but why was this site named "GLBTQ" and not "LGBTQ"? I noticed you have both domains registered and in use.

This is an issue I have become intrigued with over the years and would appreciate other thoughts on the matter.

Tom Dempsey
werechick  

Posted: 21 Apr 2003, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume that would be because we have more historically proven gay/bi men than women. But that's just a guess.
wik  

Interests: History, the Web
Physical Location: Chicago

Posted: 21 Apr 2003, 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: GLBTQ vs. LGBTQ Reply with quote

tdempsey wrote:
This may be a thorny question - but why was this site named "GLBTQ" and not "LGBTQ"? I noticed you have both domains registered and in use.

This is an issue I have become intrigued with over the years and would appreciate other thoughts on the matter.

Tom Dempsey

Tom, you raise a great question.

The G, L, B, T, and Q in our name are meant to convey a sense of unity while recognizing the distinctive characteristics of the many groups that comprise our community.

The order in which the letters appear is arbitrary, and is not intended to convey any historical or other priority for any particular group. A quick check of the literature three years ago (when the name was chosen) showed that GLBT was the most common abbreviation for our community. The Q was added in recognition of the emergence of Queer political and academic sensibilities. Used in this sense, Queer is a broader, more inclusive term that contains G, L, B, T, and much more within its umbrella, but it remains offensive to some because of its origins as a slur.

glbtq has licensed many domain names so that when people misspell glbtq (as, say, gbltq, gltbq, or lgbtq) or if they guess what our name might be (e.g. gayencyclopedia, queerencyclopedia) they will land at glbtq.com. That's how glbtq came to license lgbtq and many other domain names.

I hope this helps.

Wik
werechick  

Posted: 21 Apr 2003, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GLBTQ vs. LGBTQ Reply with quote

Wik wrote:
The Q was added in recognition of the emergence of Queer political and academic sensibilities. Used in this sense, Queer is a broader, more inclusive term that contains G, L, B, T, and much more within its umbrella, but it remains offensive to some because of its origins as a slur.

Oh, okay. But I've often heard people refer to the Q alternately as an abbreviation for "questioning."
Sedat  

Posted: 23 Apr 2003, 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, me, too. always thought q is for questioning rather than queer. but then I've seen glbtc as well with c for curious. guess our abbrevations are as diverse as our community :-p

cubye,
sedat
werechick  

Posted: 23 Apr 2003, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sedat wrote:
yes, me, too. always thought q is for questioning rather than queer. but then I've seen glbtc as well with c for curious. guess our abbrevations are as diverse as our community :-p

cubye,
sedat

Really? I've never seen one with a C.
Ryan  

Interests: Queer History and Biography
Physical Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted: 23 Apr 2003, 10:02 pm    Post subject: T for Two-Spirited as well as Transgendered. Reply with quote

[quote="werechick"]
Sedat wrote:

Well, at least here in Winnipeg, we often use GLBTT: gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, and two-spirited (i.e. aboriginal people who feel that they are the combination of the spirts of both men and women; this belief in two-spiritedness is a longtime part of many Native Canadian cultures, which of course the missionaires tried to "correct".

I'm sure there are other areas which use the term "two-spirited" for their native or aboriginal populations.

Personally, I use queer as an umbrella term covering all the above categories. I have chosen to appropriate it and make it a proud term rather than a pejorative one. But I do realize that some people still are offended by it.

By the way, the University of Winnipeg student group is the LGBT*, where the * means "anything else not included explicitly". Just a different way to deal with it, I guess.

--Ryan.

Last edited by Ryan on 24 Apr 2003, 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
werechick  

Posted: 24 Apr 2003, 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kinda cool, actually.
Murdoch  

Interests: reading gay fiction (erotic, mysteries, etc.) e-mail, chatting on Yahoo Messenger (as timotito_1964), traveling, cooking
Physical Location: Seattle, WA

Posted: 22 Sep 2003, 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GLBTQ vs. LGBTQ Reply with quote

tdempsey wrote:

Tom Dempsey

Hey Tom & others,

I'm new here, (GWM * 39 -2/3 * Seattle) and when I saw this post, I decided to make this my 1st reply. And I'm using the larger font b/c it's much easier for me to read. Wish they had one btw med. & large, like a 16-point type.) ;)

I read the "official" (?) answer to your question, which makes sense to me. However, in the gay community at large -- esp. in Seattle -- "L"" comes first. (Maybe it's b/c of all the "LesBiStr8" feminists here!) But since I'm a man, I personally put the "G"first. As for the comment about "Q", I too have always understood it to mean "Questioning" and not "Queer." The whole thing is just getting to be an "alphabet soup" if you will. So many letters and more being added all the time. (Like the guy in Winnipeg who includes a second "T" for Two-Spirited. While I don't object to it in theory, it's just one more thing to remember -- or be crucified if I don't. In fact, for all the Natives living in Seattle, I'm quite surprised I don't see it used more often here.) The most recent string I've seen is "LGBTQIA" -- which I interpret as "Lesbian Gay Bi-Sexual Questioning Intergender ..." (no clue what the A is).

For me, I just use gay (deliberately uncapitalized, unlike the Seattle Gay News (http://www.sgn.org) which capitalizes "Gay" but no other minority status or race) as my universal word. People correct me all the time for it, but oh well. It's the easiest, most identifiable way for me to remember the whole thing. ;) (I guess it's similar to "Man" when referring to the whole human race.) Of course, when I'm speaking about a specific person, if I know their orientation or preference, I'll use that when referring to them. (I'm still getting used to changing from "him/his" to "her/hers" -- esp. when I first knew them as a guy, or vice versa. :P )

Linda  

Interests: Pets, politics, sports, gardening, needlework, mystery novels, cooking
Physical Location: Dearborn, MI

Posted: 22 Nov 2003, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: GLBTQ vs. LGBTQ Reply with quote

I believe that "A" stands for ally.
Ari  

Physical Location: www.choicesconsulting.com

Posted: 30 Nov 2003, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GLBTQ vs. LGBTQ Reply with quote

tdempsey wrote:

Tom Dempsey

I just signed on to this list, and laughed out loud when i saw the question. I have look been "annoyed" by the "g" coming before the "l." My recollection of history is that when we went from being the "gay" community, to the gay and lesbian community, many lesbians wanted to FIRST, so combat the years of invisibility. I personally always use LGBT, and find it frustrating when I'm publishing and they insist on GLBT because it's become the "norm."

In a training I do we use LGBTQQI...to stand for....queer, questioning and intersex.

best

Ari
523 Western Ave #2A
www.choicesconsulting.com
info@choicesconsulting.com
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.