Not a Member Yet? 

JOIN TODAY. IT'S FREE!

Advertising Opportunities
  Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Brokeback Mountain. . .How Many Have You Seen It???

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Thomas J.  

Interests: Movies, Music, Books, Television
Physical Location: Decatur, Illinois USA

Posted: 2 Jan 2006, 11:37 pm    Post subject: Brokeback Mountain. . .How Many Have You Seen It??? Reply with quote

Surely someone here has seen it.

What do you think?

It's not in my neck of the woods, as of yet. . .so tell me, is it as good as they say?
Esoteric  

Interests: Movies, Music, Video Games, etc.
Physical Location: USA

Posted: 6 Jan 2006, 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id like to see it. It looks pretty good.
Thomas J.  

Interests: Movies, Music, Books, Television
Physical Location: Decatur, Illinois USA

Posted: 6 Jan 2006, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Our Local Art House Theatre Reply with quote

. . .just announced it will be playing in our city January 27th.

I thought of traveling to Chicago or St. Louis or Indianapolis to see it, but I have "girl friends" who want to see it with me.

So I'm waiting. . .
Claude  

Interests: glbtq culture
Physical Location: New Orleans

Posted: 10 Jan 2006, 9:23 am    Post subject: Brokeback Mountain Reply with quote

I saw "Brokeback Mountain" last night. The film lives up to the hype. It is beautifully made. The stunning views of nature contrast with the ugliness of the stunted lives people are forced to live because of poverty and smallmindedness. The acting is superb. Heath Ledger is masterful as Ennis, but Jake Gyllenhaal as Jack Twist and Michelle Williams as Ennis's wife Alma are also excellent in every way.

The story is deeply affecting. It offers a wrenching portrait of the costs exacted by homophobia and the closet, while also showing the power of love. It captures the desperation of gay life at a particular time and place, but also brilliantly illustrates the universal need for love. I found the film deeply moving and unflinchingly honest. It is truly a breakthrough film. I plan to see it again.
uptonight  

Interests: Film-- mostly those made long before I was born. Years ago, I managed several first-run theaters for the Cinema-5 circuit in NYC. Including The Paris Theater, The Beekman, The Art Theatre, plus several others in the circuit.
Physical Location: small, 12-unit historic old apartment house

Posted: 29 Jan 2006, 9:19 pm    Post subject: "What Becomes a Legend Most?" Reply with quote

"Brokeback" opened in my city on Jan.6th.

It opened (exclusively) at an officially designated landmark-- a fully, and breath-takingly restored, 1926-built, 'atmospheric,' with a capacity of (approx.) 950 seats. The theatre is essentially a repetoire 'art house,' --and with it's 'astmospheric' trademark "night sky and stars" above, it was the perfect venue for "Brokeback".....

The theatre is subsidized by the city, and it offers several levels of annual memberships to local cinephiles (like me...)

My $100 annual membership fee gives me unlimited access to the theatre. No tickets necessary, and I never have to wait on lines at the box office...

With the early (Jan.6th) "Brokeback" opening, I have certainly received my money's worth-- more than in any year previous to this...I've attended 15 shows thus far, with no end in sight...(and it's only January)..

My 15th trip to the "Mountain" was Friday night's 7:30 show, and I have not tired of any little bit of it. ...In fact, It seems that each viewing is better and richer than the one before...

Last week, the theatre announced that it would hold the film over for a second month..."due to popular demand" (their words)... so I have no idea how many more times I'll go.

BTW, this is not unusual for me-- I often view films multiple times. ---depending on the film, of course.

When Fellini's "Amarcord" had it's American premiere at the Plaza Theatre in New York, I lost count of how many times I attended the show, after passing (-I think--) my 50th show.

It's only fair to tell you that I had a pass to ALL the Cinema-5 theatres at the time, as I was then working as manager of The Paris.. (both are on 58th Street), and I often just walked over to The Plaza Theatre after finishing the matinee shift in my own house.....

There can be no basis for comparison of the 2 films ('Brokeback' and 'Amarcord') --other than to say that "Brokeback" was the first film to so profoundly affect me, since "Amarcord" opened 31 years ago....

Does anyone remember the advertising slogan for black mink (coats) back in the 70's:
--- "What Becomes a Legend Most?"

......well, that's similar to what I ask myself after each time I see "Brokeback."......
Paloma  

Interests: I'm studying literature. So of course I'm interested in that. I am also interested in films and music. Well, Culture in general.
Physical Location: Roskilde - Denmark

Posted: 9 Feb 2006, 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I saw the film a couple of weeks ago. I think It is a great film. It really gripped me. In some ways it is very sad, because it is about two people who do not dare love each other, not in public anyway. But at the same time it makes you think that you have to live your life and not be afraid to be who you are. Just go see it. It has already become one of my favorite films.
gawwad  

Interests: Classical music, Impressionist art, and Sex

Posted: 11 Mar 2006, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, i didn't find the film's idea that interesting. The Issue of homosexuality among men wasn't intelligently handled. The most important aspects in homosexual relations in the 60s and 70s were not mentioned. Homosexuality deserves a better script. BBM is great in terms of direction and screen play, but defenitely not in the script and the idea. A good film about Oscar Wilde would handle the issue of homosexualism much better in my opinion.

Sigmond Freud (1856 - 1939)

Last edited by gawwad on 12 Mar 2006, 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Paloma  

Interests: I'm studying literature. So of course I'm interested in that. I am also interested in films and music. Well, Culture in general.
Physical Location: Roskilde - Denmark

Posted: 12 Mar 2006, 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a problem to look at the film as a representation of homosexual lives in the sixties. It is a film about love and how different, and somtimes difficult, love can be. Don't look at it as a representation og homosexuality. Look at the story. It is not a story about homosexuality between men, it is about love. You can't say that homosexuality needs a better script. It is not a film that is supposed to show all aspects of homosexual life. It is a film that tells a story about two men who fall in love. Have you read the short story? It is very good and heartfelt. At least I think it is. Maybe you are right that someone should make a film about Oscar Wilde, but does it have to be either or? Why not both aspects? You can't take 1 film an ecpect it to show how all homosexuals live. That is why the world has enough material to make more than a dozen films.
Sefronia7  

Interests: Everything and nothing

Posted: 12 Jul 2006, 6:34 pm    Post subject: Banditas! Reply with quote

This is a semi-light post, evidement. But sorry, darlings, not that into "Brokeback Mountain" I think it is a crumb handed to a targeted minority........but I can hardly wait for the girlfest of Penelope and Salma in the film "Banditas"........PURRRRRRR!

xxoo
Sefronia

www.sefronia777.com
Carew  

Interests: Movies, television, sports, politics, literature, current events

Posted: 15 Aug 2007, 8:54 am    Post subject: Brokeback Mountain Reply with quote

I saw this film quite a while after it first came out. I didn't plan on seeing it, I thought that there was too much hype about it and I wasn't inclined to see a "cowboy love story". However one evening I had nothing else to do so I went to see it. I enjoyed it very much and it did resonate with me, as the story of two closeted gay men who due to their circumstances had to keep their love a secret, couldn't really talk about it, not even to each other, with ultimately tragic consequences for themselves and for the people close to them. Later on I saw it with a group of friends all mostly the same age as myself (forties, fifties, sixties), and all mostly closeted also. We all enjoyed it, it was a moving experience. I could tell that my friends enjoyed it because they were pretty quiet for quite a while afterwards. (Usually after watching a film or video they immediately begin either praising or badmouthing it). I'm glad I had the chance to see it.
Parisenvy  

Posted: 11 Jan 2008, 3:26 pm    Post subject: Brokeback Mountain Reply with quote

I have seen it and it was devastating to me. I felt so deeply for the sorrow of those men, especially the other one, not Jake Gyllenhaal. Anyway, as a film it was brilliant. The matte of fact nature of the sexuality was wonderful and the focus and intensity on the relationship aspect was what made it brilliant. 5 stars.
Mon1018  

Posted: 7 Mar 2008, 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think It is a great film. It really gripped me.

Last edited by Mon1018 on 13 Mar 2008, 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
stg1963  

Physical Location: Virginia

Posted: 12 Mar 2008, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out: www.bettermost.net
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.