Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Heath Ledger's Death

Reply to topic   Post new topic
JayJay  

Interests: gay history

Posted: 28 Jan 2008, 8:19 am    Post subject: Heath Ledger's Death Reply with quote

Have you been as bummed out by the death of Heath Ledger as I have? Partly because of his great performance in "Brokeback Mountain," he became a kind of symbol of men who love men even though he was not gay himself. He played the role of Ennis so beautifully.

I have been outraged by the homophobia in some media reports of Ledger's death. The worst of these are comments by the egregious John Gibson on Fox News. Gibson mocked Ledger's death by saying "I wish I knew how to quit you. Well, he found out how to quit you," laughing while he said it. I have written to Fox complaining about such homophobia. I doubt that it will make much difference, but if you are inclined to do so as well, their e-mail address is comments@foxnews.com.
Mikelo  

Physical Location: Colorado

Posted: 24 Feb 2008, 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no good writing to Fox. They're proud of being the lowbrow jerks that they are.
Boggie  

Interests: Writing, reading, history, travel, film. biking, art study and collecting. I am researching a book on The Unsolved Murder/Suicide at Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills. My partner and live in a old house near the sea with Phoebe our Cat and Lulu our Dog.
Physical Location: Coast of California.

Posted: 5 May 2008, 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notify GLAAD when there are media matters involved. They do great work and are worth a donation if you can spare it.
Mikelo  

Posted: 5 May 2008, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggie wrote:
Notify GLAAD when there are media matters involved. They do great work and are worth a donation if you can spare it.

GLAAD is useless.

I used to be heavily involved in Sailor Moon fandom and when we called on them to do something about the English dubbing company's handling of gay, lesbian and transsexual characters, they ignored us. None of us who wrote to them even got the dignity of a response.

For those not in the know, gay male characters (Zoicite, Fisheye) and crossdressers were changed to females, and a prominent lesbian couple (Sailor Uranus and Sailor Netpune) were changed into being cousins instead of lovers (and boy did they drive that point home in the dialog every chance they got).

The dubbing company claims that FCC and whatever the Canadian regulatory agency is called regulations forbid gay characters in children's cartoons. This is a load of garbage.

Apparently, GLAAD doesn't care about children seeing gay characters portrayed at all, so if they can't care about that, what good are they when dealing with adult matters? I've seen them go after smaller crap than this, that's for sure.

No money for GLAAD.
Boggie  

Interests: Writing, reading, history, travel, film. biking, art study and collecting. I am researching a book on The Unsolved Murder/Suicide at Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills. My partner and live in a old house near the sea with Phoebe our Cat and Lulu our Dog.
Physical Location: Coast of California.

Posted: 5 May 2008, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikelo it might have been just bad timing or what ever. I was angered by the actions of one of our local new guys here in Los Angeles. I wrote GLAAD and figured well at least I tried to change attitudes and expected not too much. Two day later I got a call from GLAAD and they said they'd contacted the KABC and the station had looked back at a tape of the newscast and agreed it was out of line. The GLAAD people had a couple meetings with the station brass and I received another call to watch the 6:PM News the following night. What followed was a live on air apology by the anchorman (not the flunkie "entertainment editor") and I later learned a $10,000.00 donation to GLAAD.
So you win some and you loose some, but you are never defeated if you keep on trying.
Mikelo  

Posted: 5 May 2008, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggie wrote:
Mikelo it might have been just bad timing or what ever.

I can't think of any other excuse other than not caring. We wrote to them many times and never once recieved even a reply. Not even to say "we're looking into it" or "we can't help you at this time." SOMETHING would have been nice.

And yet, they make the time to go after a stupid car commercial about "10 men, one boat." I thought it was hilarious, myself. But protecting a positive portrayal of a lesbian relationship in a children's show...

So, I hope you can see why I'm a little burned on GLAAD.

Mikelo
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.