Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Edward Everett Horton

Reply to topic   Post new topic
TRICIA  

Interests: art, books, sailing, writing, music, history, travel (Europe)
Physical Location: NY metropolitan area

Posted: 16 Aug 2003, 2:20 am    Post subject: Edward Everett Horton Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information about Horton; was he gay?
phillip  

Interests: Gardening, movies, reading
Physical Location: Alabama

Posted: 14 Oct 2003, 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Edward Everett Horton Reply with quote

TRICIA wrote:

Look for the book "Behind The Screen" by William Mann. It has a lot of information on Horton.
Saladin  

Interests: Classical Art and Music Languages and Literature Films and Theatre
Physical Location: California

Posted: 21 Oct 2003, 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Edward Everett Horton Reply with quote

Edward Everett Horton was indeed gay. However, since he was a character actor and not a box office romanic idol, nobody bothered. He usually played the best friend of the leading man (like Fred Astair). He was usually involved in schemes that backfired. As he grew older, he got stuck with bit parts like doing Chief Screaming Chicken on the Batman series of the sixties as well as other guest appearances on sitcoms. He also did voice overs for Gamma Films (Rocky and Bullwinkle) as a narrator for "Fractured Fairy Tales," and the voice of Aesop in "Aesop and Son."
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 29 May 2009, 11:17 am    Post subject: Pretty Godd Character Actor Reply with quote

I remember him doing the voice overs in 'Rocky and Bullwinkle'.

Gennee
nielsen522  

Interests: Surfing the web,Reading, Movies

Posted: 5 Jul 2010, 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Edward Everett Horton Reply with quote

TRICIA wrote:

I have read an article about him and it tells that he is a gay. His sexual orientation is gay but he is a good actor but mostly in supporting role and I remembered him in a a movie about a gay "The gay divorcee" :)
glbtq  
Site Admin

Posted: 6 Jul 2010, 7:00 am    Post subject: Horton discussed in several entries Reply with quote

Horton is discussed in several entries in the encyclopedia, including Film and Film Sissies, and mentioned in others, such as Clifton Webb.
folder1  

Physical Location: Vermont

Posted: 2 Jan 2011, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pretty Good Character Actor Reply with quote

gennee wrote:
I remember him doing the voice overs in 'Rocky and Bullwinkle'.

Gennee

Thanks, Genne. I loved Rocky & Bullwinkle. That was where I first saw Horton's name. Then I began watching old(er) movies and discovered that he was a very good, if stereotyped, actor.

The so-called "sissie actors" and their lesbian counterparts (often butch, severe) were all there was for gay men and lesbians as far as role models until... well, pretty damn recently.

Interesting bibliography I just came across from the British Film Institute: "Lesbian and gay cinema – a selective bibliography" at http://www.bfi.org.uk/filmtvinfo/publications/bibliographies/lesbian_gay_cinema.pdf.
[/i]
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.