Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Favorite mystery authors

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Linda  

Interests: Pets, politics, sports, gardening, needlework, mystery novels, cooking
Physical Location: Dearborn, MI

Posted: 25 Jul 2011, 4:25 pm    Post subject: Favorite mystery authors Reply with quote

As a great fan of murder mystery novels, I am always delighted to hear about talented authors whose work I have not yet discovered. I am especially interested in learning about novels by glbtq writers. Who are your favorites?

I'll get the ball rolling y mentioning a few of mine.

Ellen Hart is an acclaimed writer with two series of novels, one of them featuring Jane Lawless, a restaurateur in Minnesota who finds herself having to solve crimes. Hart's books are well plotted and engaging. Adding notes of humor is Jane's friend Cordelia, a lady with a flair for the dramatic.

Anthony Bidulka's central character, Russell Quant, began life as a Saskatchewan farm boy, but now he's a private detective whose cases send him around the globe. Bidulka has clearly researched each place well, and so he takes us on authentic voyages to the exotic locales. His plots, like his settings, are varied and always interesting.

J. M. Redmann writes about detective Michele "Micky" Knight. Redmann displays a great sense of place, and the place about which she writes is New Orleans. Her series began before Katrina and has continued into the years after the storm. She develops strong characters, and her books are compelling reading.

Greg Herren is another New Orleans writer. He has two series, my favorite being the one about Milton "Scotty" Bradley, a former go-go boy who is now a private detective. There are interesting and eccentric characters aplenty in Scotty's adventures (and misadventures) in solving crimes.

So now, fellow readers, it's your turn! Whose mystery novels do you recommend?
JayJay  

Interests: gay history

Posted: 25 Jul 2011, 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite mystery authors Reply with quote

I like the authors you mentioned and I would add Dorien Grey to your list.

But I don't think you can talk about gay male mysteries without paying homage to Joseph Hansen, Michael Nava, and John Morgan Wilson. I think they're the giants, though of course Hansen is deceased and Nava has apparently given up writing his Henry Rios series.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.