Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Angels in America

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Prior  

Posted: 1 Jun 2005, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Angels in America Reply with quote

Did you watch "Angels in America"? What do you think about it?
Julio  

Posted: 24 Oct 2005, 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Angels in America Reply with quote

Prior wrote:

Do forgive this post any flaws, it's my first ...

Anyway, I couldn't resist responding to this topic. I've got this series on tape and I watch it whenever I can. I savour it, in fact.

The script is obviously absorbing but in this production the performances make it doubly so - particularly Kohn played by Al Pacino. I could watch that scene in the restaurant during which he tries to persuade Joe to go to be his man in Washington over and over - the intestinal juices speech. He's so limp and hoary and cancerous the whole way through.

Mary Louise Parker is perfect - her scenes with Prior ... her scenes with the International Travel Agent ... quirky and charming and poetic and really sumptuously directed.

In fact, though, all the performances are great. It's very well cast all round.

Anyway, I could probably go on, but ... as this post was from some time ago, you may no longer be interested in talking about it anyway ... but thanks ...
Potter_rb  

Interests: Fine Art & LIterature
Physical Location: Oklahoma City, OK U.S.A.

Posted: 15 Nov 2005, 2:17 pm    Post subject: Loved the film Reply with quote

After seeing Angels In America on the stage, the film added a great, whimsical feeling to the story. Mary Louise Parker I thought played an excellent role, as well as Al Pacino showing the grand hubris of Roy.
john.ed  

Posted: 26 Apr 2006, 11:56 pm    Post subject: let me know Reply with quote

i wanna know more films or plays. so could you tell me fimls and plays which you like.
please send a email to moyutojp@yahoo.co.jp.
thanks
cmg  

Interests: Archeoastrology, Art History, Political Science, Literature, Architecture, Film, Sociology, Cultural Anthropology
Physical Location: Los Angeles

Posted: 12 Dec 2006, 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Angels in America Reply with quote

Prior wrote:

Meryl Streep was brilliant as Ethel Rosenberg and the Hasidic Rabbi. I saw the play originally on Broadway with Stephen Spinella in the lead role and he was superb - theatre and acting at it's best. The film version was effective but in a different way. The humanism and immediacy of live theatre was lost in the film version, important artistic metaphors for the horros of the AIDS epidemic and the devastation and havoc that it continues to wreak.
Mon1018  

Posted: 7 Mar 2008, 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. It's a nice film.Excellent!!

Last edited by Mon1018 on 13 Mar 2008, 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boggie  

Interests: Writing, reading, history, travel, film. biking, art study and collecting. I am researching a book on The Unsolved Murder/Suicide at Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills. My partner and live in a old house near the sea with Phoebe our Cat and Lulu our Dog.
Physical Location: Coast of California.

Posted: 11 Mar 2008, 8:05 pm    Post subject: "Angels" Reply with quote

I saw Part One in New York and Part Two in San Francisco and was emotionally overwhelmed and drained at each performance. I was a bit leery about seeing the film version, but found it also excellently done. The entire cast was superb.
I also found the scenes between Ethel and Roy riveting. Sadly I cannot recall the name of the black nurse, but I thought he was amazing. Especially the scene at the Angel Fountain in Central Park with the deserting boyfriend. Also his scenes with Pacino as Cohn had never been treated or talked to like that in his disgusting life.
Emma Thomson gave me goose bumps and I read somewhere that crew working on the film felt there was definitely a duel at hand between Thomson and Streep.
If there was I would call it a draw. It will be considered a classic very soon.
mofole  

Posted: 5 May 2008, 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angels in America is a thought provoking movie that just tells it like it is. The sub-surface message is just to be who you are.

Great performance from meryl streep who was also in The hours
mtnhiker  

Physical Location: Johnson City, TN

Posted: 20 Aug 2013, 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Angels in America Reply with quote

Prior wrote:

One of the most influential films I've ever seen. It deserved all of the awards it received.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.