Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: teens and bisexuality?

Reply to topic   Post new topic
brit  

Interests: football, shopping, and music
Physical Location: Illinois

Posted: 20 May 2004, 5:43 pm    Post subject: teens and bisexuality? Reply with quote

I was wondering, how can a teenager, still in high school can come out without making a big fool of herself. i'm bisexual and I don't really know how people are going to take it. A couple people know already and I know it will get all over the school, but I just don't want to get made fun of, from people who don't understand me and are too naive to stop and get to know me. What should I do? Please help me!
anony  

Posted: 21 May 2004, 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: teens and bisexuality? Reply with quote

brit wrote:
I was wondering, how can a teenager, still in high school can come out without making a big fool of herself. i'm bisexual and I don't really know how people are going to take it. A couple people know already and I know it will get all over the school, but I just don't want to get made fun of, from people who don't understand me and are too naive to stop and get to know me. What should I do? Please help me!

It can be tough to come out no matter what your age, but it's especially rough in high school since that's an environment rife with gossip. I suspect that the most important part of the process is for you to be sure of yourself. Once you know who you are, you have a right to be respected for it. Of course, some people are jerks, and they will be jerks about your coming out. That has nothing to do with you; They're the people with the problem. Coming out can tell you very quickly -- and sometimes unpleasantly -- who your friends really are.

I don't think you can really avoid being made fun of by the homophobes in your school. Rather you need to be ready for them to judge you, and certain of the rightness of what you are doing.

There are some great online resources you may want to check out. The first is:

http://www.comingoutstories.com

The other place I have seen some great coming out advice is in the columns by Ellen Degeneres' mom and Betty Berzon on http://www.planetout.com. PlanetOut also has discussion boards for GLBT youth that might prove supportive.

Best of luck in your coming out process, and remember that homophobia is the homophobe's problem, not yours.
Brody  

Interests: I play guitar and write music I love peircing myself
Physical Location: Sothern California

Posted: 3 Jun 2004, 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I myself know how hard it is to come out to every one while i was still in high school. Iam not going to lie, it was hard and it will always be, but if this is truly what you think you are people need to know the true you. First befor you can be accepted by your peers you need to be accepted by your family. Its hard but you need to be comfortable in front of your family. Then tell the friends you consiter true friends. If those "true" friends dont accept it or like it, then they truly arnt your friends. You cant avoid being made fun of but if this is what you are your going to get it all your life (not to sound mean) so DEAL WITH IT!!! Like i said its hard but you can do it!!
Sappho  

Posted: 12 Jun 2004, 1:15 pm    Post subject: wow... Reply with quote

To begin with, I would like to congradulate you for having the courage to even think about coming out in high school- I myself did not have the nerve to do it and waited until university, much for the same reasons why you are relcutant to come out.
Fact of life: homophobes are everywhere, but it is up to you to decide if you want to deal with them in a small, close-knit high school environment or to wait until you get into the wider world.
Whatever, you choose, I appluad your decision.
Regards,
Sappho
Sappho  

Posted: 12 Jun 2004, 1:16 pm    Post subject: wow... Reply with quote

To begin with, I would like to congradulate you for having the courage to even think about coming out in high school- I myself did not have the nerve to do it and waited until university, much for the same reasons why you are relcutant to come out.
Fact of life: homophobes are everywhere, but it is up to you to decide if you want to deal with them in a small, close-knit high school environment or to wait until you get into the wider world.
Whatever, you choose, I appluad your decision.
Regards,
Sappho
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.