Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: name calling!

Reply to topic   Post new topic
brit  

Interests: football, shopping, and music
Physical Location: Illinois

Posted: 16 Jun 2004, 12:11 pm    Post subject: name calling! Reply with quote

Hey, I was just wondering of what do you say when someone calls you a faget or a really mean name like that? I was called one today and it didn't make me feel good and I got real mad and started to take all of my anger out on some of my family, what should I say or do?
Ophelia  

Posted: 24 Jun 2004, 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: name calling! Reply with quote

brit wrote:
Hey, I was just wondering of what do you say when someone calls you a faget or a really mean name like that? I was called one today and it didn't make me feel good and I got real mad and started to take all of my anger out on some of my family, what should I say or do?

I find it best to ignore them, in fact I do it automatically. I just filter out any shouting unless its my name, The only problem with this is if I'm out with friends they get upset and tell me latter what happened.

Why did you take it out on your family?
pogmanone  

Interests: Active in Big Brothers Big Sisters. Enjoy 4x4ing in the desert and exploring old mines and caves. Roller coasters are a hoot as is relaxing in my home drinking Coke Floats and watching an interesting flick.
Physical Location: Yuma, Arizona

Posted: 27 Jun 2004, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: name calling! Reply with quote

This has happened to me on a couple of occasions. When I only "over hear" the offensive comment, I also tend to just ignore it. The source is generally coming from a rather uneducated source and there is no reason to create a public situation. If however it is directly directed at me, I tend to confront in a calm and respectful manner. This seems to be rather disarming to them and effective for me. If done properly, two things usually happen: 1. They go away in a huff mubling, or 2. A dialoge begins (what a treat that is). Either way, I'm the winner!

As for taking it out on your family ... or anyone for the matter ... not a good thing. You've just done to them what was just done to you. ~Michael
live4Kyou  

Interests: anime, art, drawing in particular, writing fiction, my girl, my friends, GSA, gay rights, broadway, Les Mis, French Opera, ((Notre Dame de Paris is AMAZING))

Posted: 7 Sep 2004, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: name calling! Reply with quote

brit wrote:

Every single day when I go to school at least 4 people call me "dyke." I ignore them and then when I get home I practice my karate, or a draw. It helps relieve alot of stress. I run my school's Gay-Straight Alliance and sometimes it's hard to tell people to ignore them becayse we all want to fight sometimes. Stand up for yourself, but don't create trouble. You are a person just like they are.
bitsy  

Interests: animal rights - wildlife preservation - musical theater - singing with people - cabaret entertainment
Physical Location: Warren County, New Jersey

Posted: 8 Sep 2004, 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: name calling! Reply with quote

It is the same as any other insult, equality is equality is equality. It's the same as being called fat, ugly, stupid, whatever, all insults are painful to the recipient. Handle it with dignity and class and make the insulter look the jerk. Better yet give a little smile and a wink! "Life's a banquet and most poor bastards are starving to death" (Auntie Mame)
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.