Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Queer History and Biography: Listmakers

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ryan  

Interests: Queer History and Biography
Physical Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted: 3 Mar 2003, 5:43 pm    Post subject: Queer History and Biography: Listmakers Reply with quote

I just came across the press release for this site today (via Google News) and I think this is a wonderful (and much-needed) online endeavour! I am a Canadian academic librarian, and for the past four years I have been compiling a list of queer people around the world and throughout history (with an emphasis on Canadians). It's at http://rainbowlives.com .

Why do I bother to do this? Well, I I describe that on the Web site too:
http://rainbowlives.com/howitstarted.html

My question is: Does anybody know of any other like-minded people who compile such lists? I've got a start of a list at the bottom of my Rainbow Lives page, but I'd be interested in knowing if there are other people who have this same sort of hobby.

Any other listmakers out there? What rules do you use to include/exclude people? etc.

--Ryan.
wik  

Interests: History, the Web
Physical Location: Chicago

Posted: 3 Mar 2003, 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Queer History and Biography: Listmakers Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I just came across the press release for this site today (via Google News) and I think this is a wonderful (and much-needed) online endeavour! I am a Canadian academic librarian, and for the past four years I have been compiling a list of queer people around the world and throughout history (with an emphasis on Canadians). It's at http://rainbowlives.com .

Why do I bother to do this? Well, I I describe that on the Web site too:
http://rainbowlives.com/howitstarted.html

My question is: Does anybody know of any other like-minded people who compile such lists? I've got a start of a list at the bottom of my Rainbow Lives page, but I'd be interested in knowing if there are other people who have this same sort of hobby.

Any other listmakers out there? What rules do you use to include/exclude people? etc.

--Ryan.

Lisa Diguardi has a great newsletter in which she lists historical events. The list she works from is huge, and it's something she has taken years to put together. If you want, I will forward a copy to you so you can sign up or contact Lisa.
Likorish  

Posted: 4 Mar 2003, 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Queer History and Biography: Listmakers Reply with quote

Chuck Tarver compiles a similar list that specifically focuses on African American GLBTQ persons, and has been doing so since 1994. You can visit the Blacklist at Blackstripe: http://www.blackstripe.com/blacklist/. Unfortunately, it seems that there are a lot of dead links on the site, so I'm not sure that the list is still being updated.

The original Blacklist lives here: http://www.udel.edu/nero/lists/blacklist1.html
Ryan  

Posted: 4 Mar 2003, 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Queer History and Biography: Listmakers Reply with quote

Great, thanks!

--Ryan.

Likorish wrote:
Chuck Tarver compiles a similar list that specifically focuses on African American GLBTQ persons, and has been doing so since 1994. You can visit the Blacklist at Blackstripe: http://www.blackstripe.com/blacklist/. Unfortunately, it seems that there are a lot of dead links on the site, so I'm not sure that the list is still being updated.

The original Blacklist lives here: http://www.udel.edu/nero/lists/blacklist1.html
Dorie  

Interests: Computers (hardware, software, internet), Reading (Sci Fi & Fantasy), Pets (cats, dogs, birds, reptiles, anphibians, small furry critters), my Partner
Physical Location: Richland, WA USA

Posted: 5 Mar 2003, 9:08 am    Post subject: Here is another web site for GLBTQ History Reply with quote

I ran across this one a bit ago if you're interested " http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/scotts/bulgarians/history-pg.html ".

I only just heard about this site this morning from a Yahoogroup of which I am a member. I think it's great to have a 'public' encyclopedia of GLBTQ history ... it has always fasinated me. Growing up in the 50's / 60's and coming out in the 70's in rural America creates a hunger to know 'is there anyone else out there'. I can remember buying everything & anything I ran across that said "YES, We're here & queer" ... it was easy, there was sooo little. Now, I can't afford or keep up with the volume ... it's WONDERFUL!

Dorie
Ryan  

Posted: 8 Mar 2003, 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Here is another web site for GLBTQ History Reply with quote

Dorie wrote:
I think it's great to have a 'public' encyclopedia of GLBTQ history ... it has always fasinated me. Growing up in the 50's / 60's and coming out in the 70's in rural America creates a hunger to know 'is there anyone else out there'. I can remember buying everything & anything I ran across that said "YES, We're here & queer" ... it was easy, there was sooo little. Now, I can't afford or keep up with the volume ... it's WONDERFUL!

Dorie

Yes, I can relate to your story Dorie. Myself, I grew up in a blue-collar working-class suburb of Winnipeg during the 1960's and 1970's, and I sometimes wonder if I would have come out of the closet earlier if there had been any sort of visible role models. I think that this is one of my motivations in continuing the Rainbow Lives list...to make sure that the next generation doesn't lack for other people "like them".

Four years ago, when I was finally getting ready to admit to myself that I was gay, I walked over to my bookshelf and pulled out a copy of The People's Almanac (1975, Doubelday) and flipped to their list of famous queer people. 48 names.

That's IT ?!? 48 ?!?!! And I thought to myself "Where the hell WAS everybody else?" And that's when I started using my librarian skills to start looking for other information sources.

At first, I had to hunt; but now I hardly have to look at all, new people just fall into my lap half the time (not literally, of course LOL). For example, news item: Hardy Amies dressmaker to the Queen, died this week (item on the BBC Newscast we get here on CBC Newsworld). Hmmm.... check the Knitting Circle... Bingo! he's a sister :-)

--Ryan.
spencer  

Interests: Film & film making Animation and its History Travel, Hiking, Kayaking HIstory & Biography Both Gay & 20th Century
Physical Location: Austin, TX

Posted: 15 Mar 2003, 3:07 pm    Post subject: My two cents worth Reply with quote

Having grown up at the same time, at the other end of the "spectrum" -San Francisco- coming out at 18, literally "being there," I can say that, Yes, this is a good thing because believe it or not, sadly kids today do not know who Harvey Milk was. And there should be a place available for them where they can find these things out and more. I'm glad this is available to kids as young as young as 13, as the kids are coming out, or at least self identifying themselves as gay, or whatever term they choose to use, and can find unbiased information, positive information, about their culture, our culture, and that there is more to be being gay than sexual encounters...that there is more opportunity to reinvent oneself, crossing cultural and social boundaries, than they would and could and may have otherwise. And too discover new sensitivities from within...a great gift. Yes, there is oppression, and that is the vice our society needs to overcome, and we continue to try and we will win because each and everyone of us touches someone else who impacts our life and makes an impact on theirs. It's important to let them know who we are and how their decisions on whom they elect, and how they need to hold those they elect accountable, for what they do to impact us, to bring about these changes. So, yes we need to come out, and we need to learn more about our heritage and this is an excellent source for that. Thank you and those who are making this happen. -Spen
TGR  

Interests: Gay History Men's Issues
Physical Location: St John USVI

Posted: 26 May 2004, 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My two cents worth Reply with quote

This is in reply to a comment you made some months ago that "... sadly kids today do not know who Harvey Milk was." Having known the late Paul Hardman pretty well, I would wonder if anybody knows who Harvey Milk really was -- or that Dan White, who murdered him, was also gay.

Hardman knew Milk intimately as both were involved in the Pride Foundation in San Francisco, Hardman as a (rather wealthy) founder. According to Hardman, at the time of the assassination, Milk was about to be indicted for misappropriating funds from the Foundation, and Hardman had evidence that he used these funds for his political campaign.

As to White, I know far less; on the other hand, his motives were a great deal more complex than suggested in the newspapers. White came from a long-time political family at odds with the Mafia (to which Moscone was blatantly beholden). This in no way absolves White of the assassinations but neither does chauvinism regarding Milk lead to the truth whatever it is (which eventually will come out).

I only caution on this matter because there are those who have shown none.

Richard Dey
Ryan  

Posted: 21 Jan 2005, 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Queer History and Biography: Rainbow Lives Reply with quote

Ryan wrote:
... I am a Canadian academic librarian, and for the past four years I have been compiling a list of queer people around the world and throughout history (with an emphasis on Canadians). It's at http://rainbowlives.com .
--Ryan.

I regret that, due to personal circumstances, I have had to take the Rainbow Lives Web site down. For more information please see http://members.shaw.ca/rysc/

I would be happy to give what I had started, an alphabetical list of brief bios (some with quotes and/or photos) of approx. 3,500 GLBTQ individuals from ancient Egypt to the present day, to someone else who has the energy and commitment to maintain and expand it. I had spent six years compiling the list and I would like to make it available again, but even just reposting all the pages would be beyond my capabilities right now.

--Ryan Schultz (ryanschultz@gmail.com)
Linda  

Interests: Pets, politics, sports, gardening, needlework, mystery novels, cooking
Physical Location: Dearborn, MI

Posted: 22 Jan 2005, 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Queer History and Biography: Rainbow Lives Reply with quote

Ryan wrote:
Ryan wrote:
... I am a Canadian academic librarian, and for the past four years I have been compiling a list of queer people around the world and throughout history (with an emphasis on Canadians). It's at http://rainbowlives.com .
--Ryan.

I regret that, due to personal circumstances, I have had to take the Rainbow Lives Web site down. For more information please see http://members.shaw.ca/rysc/

I would be happy to give what I had started, an alphabetical list of brief bios (some with quotes and/or photos) of approx. 3,500 GLBTQ individuals from ancient Egypt to the present day, to someone else who has the energy and commitment to maintain and expand it. I had spent six years compiling the list and I would like to make it available again, but even just reposting all the pages would be beyond my capabilities right now.

--Ryan Schultz (ryanschultz@gmail.com)

Ryan,

It's too bad that you are unable to continue with your project but generous of you to offer your work to someone else who can carry it on. It strikes me that you might be more likely to find such a person if you posted your message in a different discussion section, possibly History or Open Mic. Just a suggestion.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.