Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Supreme Court Ruling

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Claude  

Interests: glbtq culture
Physical Location: New Orleans

Posted: 26 Jun 2003, 10:30 am    Post subject: Supreme Court Ruling Reply with quote

I was delighted to hear about the Supreme Court ruling today, striking down the Texas sodomy law and the reversing Hardwick v. Bowers ruling. What most impressed me was that Justice Kennedy, writing for the 6-3 majority, remarked on how sodomy laws, whether enforced or not, "demean the lives of homosexuals." He understood the real significance of these odious laws.
mcgirl  

Physical Location: California

Posted: 5 Jul 2003, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Supreme Court Ruling Reply with quote

Claude wrote:
I was delighted to hear about the Supreme Court ruling today, striking down the Texas sodomy law and the reversing Hardwick v. Bowers ruling. What most impressed me was that Justice Kennedy, writing for the 6-3 majority, remarked on how sodomy laws, whether enforced or not, "demean the lives of homosexuals." He understood the real significance of these odious laws.

That's wonderful. I heard of the case, but never heard how it turned out. Are the other states' laws also being nullified, or does each have to go to court? Was the case for all sodomy or just homosexuals? i don't remember.
Will  

Interests: Movies, games, Finding out more about glbtq culture.
Physical Location: Alaska

Posted: 8 Jul 2003, 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Supreme Court Ruling Reply with quote

mcgirl wrote:

That's wonderful. I heard of the case, but never heard how it turned out. Are the other states' laws also being nullified, or does each have to go to court? Was the case for all sodomy or just homosexuals? i don't remember.

I was wondering that also, by the way it sounded on the news, I believe that they all were overturned
Claude  

Interests: glbtq culture
Physical Location: New Orleans

Posted: 8 Jul 2003, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Supreme Court Ruling Reply with quote

Yes, the United States Supreme Court in Lawrence v. Texas declared all the sodomy laws unconstitutional. The majority opinion, written by Justice Kennedy, recognized a right to privacy that such laws violate. More than that, the opinion noted that such laws demean homosexual persons even if they are never enforced. The opinion point by point repudiated the holding in Hardwick v. Bowers (1986) that found sodomy laws constitutional.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.