Not a Member Yet? 

JOIN TODAY. IT'S FREE!

Advertising Opportunities
  Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Anyone have info on Samuel Beckett being a flamer?

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Macdonald  

Interests: Exotic plants, books, fish, birds, dancing, books, film, and books.
Physical Location: Vancouver

Posted: 22 Jul 2003, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Anyone have info on Samuel Beckett being a flamer? Reply with quote

Peggy Guggenheim was noted to have lusted after Beckett, to which she never received a response. After he died, she was quoted as saying that he was a homosexual. Does anyone have further information on this subject?
Also, I am looking to find out more about the sexuality of Jorge Luis Borges and Franz Kafka.
You just watch - the legions of gay writers will expand in our lifetimes.
Mark in Vancouver.
Saladin  

Interests: Classical Art and Music Languages and Literature Films and Theatre
Physical Location: California

Posted: 21 Oct 2003, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have info on Samuel Beckett being a flamer? Reply with quote

Macdonald wrote:
Peggy Guggenheim was noted to have lusted after Beckett, to which she never received a response. After he died, she was quoted as saying that he was a homosexual. Does anyone have further information on this subject?
Also, I am looking to find out more about the sexuality of Jorge Luis Borges and Franz Kafka.
You just watch - the legions of gay writers will expand in our lifetimes.
Mark in Vancouver.

I'm afraid Samuel Beckett wasn't much of anything sexually. One leading socialite was informed by her butler that Beckett had died. Her response was, "How could they tell?"
Wasn't much of a party-goer.
Tony  

Interests: Literature: Creative and Critical, Fiction, Poetry History, Sociology Particular Interests: Henry James; Thomas Mann; Marcel Proust
Physical Location: Cork, Ireland

Posted: 18 Nov 2003, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Beckett a flamer Reply with quote

My guess is that what Guggenheim said was sour grapes over her rejection. Beckett was close to women all his life. There is no evidence I am aware of that he was gay. As to the supposed remark on his death, the 'how can they tell' was first said by Dorothy Parker of Calvin Coolidge.
Kafka gay? That seems more likely though he too had relations with women. As for Borges I simply have no opinion
Tony  

Interests: Literature: Creative and Critical, Fiction, Poetry History, Sociology Particular Interests: Henry James; Thomas Mann; Marcel Proust
Physical Location: Cork, Ireland

Posted: 19 Nov 2003, 7:42 am    Post subject: Was Kafka Gay? Reply with quote

Anthony Heilbut in his Thomas Mann: Eros and Literature, has the following about Kafka and Mann.

*The unexpurgated diaries of Kafka reveal homoerotic tendencies expressed with astonishing vigour, particularly from a writer so associated with repression and impotence. During his teens, Kafka had devastating crushes on his fellow students. Biographers like Ernst Pawel dismiss these episodes as adolescent and nonsexual. But ten years later he exhibited the same inclination.
Kafka may resemble the Mann who declared that looking was good enough for him. But if so, his attentions were more hot-blooded. During a train trip in January 1911, he noticed a young salesman whose "well rounded penis" made his pants swell, perhaps in response to Kafka's glances. In July 1911, Kafka took one of many health cures, this time in a nudist male spa. He was struck by "handsome young Swedes with long legs, so well-formed and taut that one could gladly lick them": a response more ardent than Mann's when he beheld the legs of his Argentinean Hermes.
Kafka was a close friend of Franz Werfel, another Prague Jew. In November I9I7, he writes Max Brod: "If I go on to say that in a recent dream of mine I gave Werfel a kiss, I stumble right into the midst of Bluher's book." Like Mann, Kafka found himself reflected in Bluher's homoeroticismóbut only to a point. "The book upset me; I had to lay it aside for two days. However it shares the quality of other psychoanalytic works that in the first moment its thesis seems remarkably satisfying, but very soon after one feels the same old hunger." He knows that this hunger can be explained away "psychoanalytically: instant Repression." But like Mann he didn't find the method useful in explicating his desires.*
klemmre9  

Interests: art, literature, live theatre, cinema. Graphic artist by trade, also the video reviewer for Buffalo's free monthly gay newspaper. Also like to draw, paint and write. In 15 year relationship with my partner Andy
Physical Location: Buffalo, NY

Posted: 24 Nov 2003, 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have info on Samuel Beckett being a flamer? Reply with quote

somhow I doubt that Franz Kafka had a sex life :)
Macdonald  

Interests: Exotic plants, books, fish, birds, dancing, books, film, and books.
Physical Location: Vancouver

Posted: 2 Dec 2003, 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have info on Samuel Beckett being a flamer? Reply with quote

klemmre9 wrote:
somhow I doubt that Franz Kafka had a sex life :)

Bugs can be sexy. You've all been helpful, and I'll direct research differently.
At the end of the day, I agree with the perception of seeming sexlessness as it applies to Beckett, Kafka, and Borges. I think the case has been made here for Kafka's clear daliances into homoeroticism at the very least.
I understand that Jorge Luis Borges lived with his mother until late in life - as if that's not a rhinestone rosary, right off - but again, the author seems above sexuality, just like Beckett. In all of Beckett's perceived living death state, one can imagine an uncontrollable lust for rough trade just as easily.
I tend to agree that he could well have been beyond sexuality in his intellectual hermitage, but it is just as likely that a crushing sexual repression led to his frustration with human interaction and informed the disjointed and aliented worlds of his fiction and drama.
We can't know for certain without dating them, and they're all dead now, so what are you going to do?
And for proof of this last thought, I refer you to John Giorno's great little book, You've Got to Burn to Shine, wherein he recounts his sexual relationship with Andy Warhol.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating...
Mark.
Ryan  

Interests: Queer History and Biography
Physical Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted: 9 Dec 2003, 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have info on Samuel Beckett being a flamer? Reply with quote

Macdonald wrote:
- as if that's not a rhinestone rosary, right off - .

ROTFL. Never heard taht one before.

--Ryan.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.