Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Death in Venice

Reply to topic   Post new topic
bh65  

Posted: 13 Aug 2006, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Death in Venice Reply with quote

Hi.....I'm interested in reading views on "Death in Venice" by Thomas Mann,including the film version. I can't decide if there is a anti-homosexual message in this story or not,but since I can sympathize with the character of Ashenbach I have remained fascinated by this story.
nighthowl  

Interests: Both general and Gay ... literature including biography, fiction, social studies, history. FIlms, domestic and foreign.
Physical Location: Baltimore

Posted: 10 Dec 2006, 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Death in Venice Reply with quote

bh65 wrote:
Hi.....I'm interested in reading views on "Death in Venice" by Thomas Mann,including the film version. I can't decide if there is a anti-homosexual message in this story or not,but since I can sympathize with the character of Ashenbach I have remained fascinated by this story.

I have viewed the film at last 2 times, and found it beautifully made. My impression was that it was less a treatment of homosexuality, and more a portrait of a failed composer who yearns for his youthful self. I'm not saying I think the attraction to Tadzio is not homosexual, but I think that theme is overshadowed by those of life and death, youth and aging. Although Gustav cannot connect to the young man except as onlooker, in the end he shows this love by warning Tadzio's mother to take her family and flee pestilence ridden Venice. The story is definitely complex, but worth revisiting. Must read the actual story again!
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.