Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: poetry by glbtq

Reply to topic   Post new topic
kyttyn  

Interests: I like writing, reading, and hiking

Posted: 5 Aug 2003, 3:17 pm    Post subject: poetry by glbtq Reply with quote

i have long written, and sometimes been published, and now i want the view of another bi person who can maybe help me to understand things in a similar way to the way that I write. Can anybody reccomend some good poetry written by a glbtq? I like just about any style from those like ee Cummings to sonnets to jim morrison.
many thanks.

kyttyn
wik  

Interests: History, the Web
Physical Location: Chicago

Posted: 5 Aug 2003, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: poetry by glbtq Reply with quote

kyttyn wrote:
i have long written, and sometimes been published, and now i want the view of another bi person who can maybe help me to understand things in a similar way to the way that I write. Can anybody reccomend some good poetry written by a glbtq? I like just about any style from those like ee Cummings to sonnets to jim morrison.
kyttyn

Kyttyn,

Have you thought of posting a poem or two here? You may find some kindred spirits, or at least a critic or two ;--).

Wik
kyttyn  

Interests: I like writing, reading, and hiking

Posted: 8 Aug 2003, 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: poetry by glbtq Reply with quote

Kyttyn,

Have you thought of posting a poem or two here? You may find some kindred spirits, or at least a critic or two ;--).

Wik[/quote]

Wik,

The thought had, at one time, crossed my mind. i have not written a single word in years, though. it is as though the words that once seemed to flow as oil have now been stoppered. Something needs to opn that flow again, and i have not yet found what that is. I was hoping that i may find some inspiration in another's common experiences.

but how i would like a kindred spirit, and how i need the critique...

kyttyn
bi_theway  

Interests: music, art, literature, stuff like that.
Physical Location: California

Posted: 22 Feb 2004, 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: poetry by glbtq Reply with quote

Hi! I was wondering if anyone can help me with this.
Would this poem qualify as satire?

http://www.ncf.ca/ip/sigs/life/gay/poetyou/mattt

I want to use it for a poetry project I'm doing and use it as an example of satire, but I'm not sure if it would qualify. Please help! It's due tomorrow!

~*Cristi~*
Ace  

Posted: 22 Feb 2004, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Calamus cluster in Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
poetx  

Interests: Poetry (especially that of the Beats, Harold Norse, Arthur Rimbaud, and Jack Spicer)
Physical Location: Portland, OR

Posted: 7 Feb 2005, 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: poetry by glbtq Reply with quote

Suggested reading: Allen Ginsberg, Walt Whitman, Harold Norse, anthologies such as "The Male Muse" (and a sequel, both edited by Ian Young), "The Penguin Book of Homosexual Verse" (edited by by Stephen Coote), "Gay & Lesbian Poetry in Our Time" (edited by Carl Morse and Joan Larkin), and "The Badboy Book of Erotic Poetry" (edited by David Laurents) are great places to start.

Greg Baysans
Esther  

Interests: Italian & english literature (exp. Victorian), baroque opera & music, countertenors, F.W. Rolfe, W. Pater, R.W. Fassbinder
Physical Location: Italy

Posted: 10 Mar 2005, 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italians do it better! :) try Michelangelo, Pier Paolo Pasolini and Sandro Penna.
Antigone  

Interests: Yep, I'm a nerd. I love to read books about math, biology, physics, ancient history... I also write poetry and fiction When I am not reading, writing, or learning I like to play pool or shoot darts.
Physical Location: Upstate NY

Posted: 25 Mar 2005, 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I also write poetry, perhaps we can email each other and share our poetry. Soon a book of mine will be available.
Anyway, I would love to share my poetry and would love to read yours.

(btw, i am a new member, I just joined and am happy to have found this site)
concrete
Sword  

Interests: Writer, Champion of the underdogs, Lay Minister, Registered Massage Therapy, playing pool, dancing, gardening
Physical Location: Galveston,Texas,USA

Posted: 12 Jun 2005, 3:51 pm    Post subject: encouragement Reply with quote

Hello,
I also write poetry, stories and books. One of my projects is referenced on this Forum under,"A new book". I too have had my inspiration flee from me. For me it was a trauma that caused the writers block.
When I was in high school I had amassed a huge portfolio of works. The literary yearly editor at school asked me to submit something. I had not made copies nor did I hold any copyrights on the poems, stories ,etc. The person "Lost" the whole shebang of my short life's work. I was crushed by this. The emptiness was replaced by anger when I later found one of my poems in a magazine with her name on it. She had not changed a word.
It took 3 years for my juices to flow again. I had taken the lemon and turned it in to lemonade. I figured that if I ever wrote again that my stuff was good enough to be published, I had already broken into being a published writer even if it was the back door.
Since then I have self-published because my stuff just does not fall into a neat cubby hole. If you get going again or want to publish something from your past just let me know. I'll help if I can.
It may sound trite but the thing that got me writing again at the end of my 'drought' was falling in love. Talk about opening up my creativity. I have heard that it helps some people to take time every day to just write something and in that process something may suddenly get you off the starting block again.
Well, good luck, talk later,
Angel Eliza (Sword)
katherine  

Physical Location: Chicago

Posted: 15 Oct 2005, 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: poetry by glbtq Reply with quote

[size=12][size=9]..."Miss Furr & Miss Skeene" by Gertrude Stein...
..."Male Homoeroticism & Modern Poetry" by Gregory Woods...
..."Gay & Lesbian Poetry in Our Time: An Anthology" ed. by Carl Morse & Joan Larkin...
...and anything by Sappho, or "The Highest Apple: Sappho & the Lesbian Poetic Tradition" by Judy Grahn...[/u]
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.