Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Publishers of GLBTQ literature?

Reply to topic   Post new topic
wildefae  

Physical Location: KY

Posted: 11 Jan 2004, 11:07 am    Post subject: Publishers of GLBTQ literature? Reply with quote

Hi,
many of my friends are writers (including myself), but recently one began to more seriously pursue it as a career. Her novel's main focus isn't homosexuality, but a gay relationship is a subplot, and she's worried that finding publishers for it will become an issue.

I'm trying to reassure her, but I'd like my list to be a bit bigger first, :)

Does anyone on this board know of publishers that are known for specifically taking that kind of fiction, or just having nondiscriminatory stances on that? Any help would be very much appreciated.

(Alternatively: is there a better route to this? Should she just get an agent and send it to everyone and not aim for certain publishers?)
roguepoet  

Interests: reading, writing, rock music, heavy metal, poetry, dreams, volleyball, swimming, travel, politics, dancing, movies, jewelry, people
Physical Location: Minnesota, USA

Posted: 23 Mar 2004, 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I can be of much help in pointing you to specific publishers (sorry, I don't pay much attention to the name of the publisher of a book I read!) but I can tell you, and your friend, that there are plenty of publishers out there who publish books where the main plot involves homosexuality, much less a subplot. She doesn't need to worry in the least. I'm sure with a bit of research she could find dozens of publishers willing to accept her book. In fact, let me know when it gets published! I'll definitely look forward to reading it.
Shyrl  

Interests: Gay male fiction and sci-fi Gay male romance fiction Writing Sci-fi Movies
Physical Location: USA -Midwest

Posted: 25 Mar 2004, 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Publishers of GLBTQ literature? Reply with quote

wildefae wrote:
Hi,
many of my friends are writers (including myself), but recently one began to more seriously pursue it as a career. Her novel's main focus isn't homosexuality, but a gay relationship is a subplot, and she's worried that finding publishers for it will become an issue.

I'm trying to reassure her, but I'd like my list to be a bit bigger first, :)

Does anyone on this board know of publishers that are known for specifically taking that kind of fiction, or just having nondiscriminatory stances on that? Any help would be very much appreciated.

(Alternatively: is there a better route to this? Should she just get an agent and send it to everyone and not aim for certain publishers?)

Hi,
A couple of publishers come to mind , one I just found.

Star Books Press www.starbookspress.com
Alyson Books
Kennsington Books (Press?)
Circlet Press ( They do scifi and they're slow but Cecilia Tan is really cool)

And good luck finding an agent... it's harder than finding a publisher!

---S
anony  

Posted: 25 Mar 2004, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Publishers of GLBTQ literature? Reply with quote

wildefae wrote:
Hi,

I can't imagine that any big publishing house would give your friend any trouble for including a queer subplot in a novel it can sell by the truckload, but mainstream houses are only interested in books that will fly off the shelves. IMHO, the key in finding a publisher is to get a good agent, and then write your butt off to produce a story a publisher can sell.

Homosexuality is not the lightning rod it once was, and it strikes me that few publishers would care about a homosexual subplot. The bigger problem is finding an agent. Agents are just as interested in sales as publishers are since that's how they sell titles to publishers. Most aren't good literary critics, but they are great at sniffing out books with commercial potential.

There are a host of good books about finding agents. Every one I have read stresses that it is a chore unless you have already published. Of all categories of books, first novels are among the toughest to sell to an agent and for an agent to sell to a publisher. To agents and publishers, this is business, not art, and that forces a first-time writer to play salesman as part of getting a novel published.

So, the first step is probably to develop sample chapters, pitch agents just the way the how-to books tell you to, and then worry about finishing the book with or without homosexual subplots.
Sword  

Interests: Writer, Champion of the underdogs, Lay Minister, Registered Massage Therapy, playing pool, dancing, gardening
Physical Location: Galveston,Texas,USA

Posted: 12 Jun 2005, 4:23 pm    Post subject: Encouragement Reply with quote

Hello, I am an Author who has 'A new book' (Forum reference)coming out as of July 1st. I had trouble finding a publisher because my work has trouble fitting into a cute little nitch. I found a way to do what I wanted without sacrificing my vision of my work.
I have been happy with the professional way that Rosedog Books has worked with me. It is a publisher who does something called subsidized publishing. If your friend wants to have more control over her work this may be something to check into.
Some highlights are the basic package I went with cost me $2,400 total. For that they will market and advertise and distribute my book for 2 years. They have an online bookstore where customers can buy e-books or hardcopies. They will also sell books to retail stores. Anyway it would be good to ask for a brochure just to check it out yourself.
Good luck, Thank you for helping your friend to stay encouraged. I hope something you found helps to that end. Take Care,
Angel Eliza (Sword)
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.