Not a Member Yet? 

JOIN TODAY. IT'S FREE!

Advertising Opportunities
  Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Are stateside GBLTT people not interested in Puerto Rico?

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Robert Mc  

Interests: Politics, gay issues, human rights, classical and ethnic music and art, alcoholism and drug addiction recovery, health and fitness, spirituality... We need support to fight homophobia by a hardcore of religious and political leaders who managed to con
Physical Location: Metro San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted: 22 Jan 2004, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Are stateside GBLTT people not interested in Puerto Rico? Reply with quote

We have a lot of problems with hate groups and gay discrimination in Puerto Rico. We would like the rest of the world to be more aware of what is going on in Puerto Rico concerning Human Rights for GBLT people. We need our gay friends in the states to put pressure on our local power brokers to respect human rights for GBLT people. It is not easy to speak out or fight for human rights in tight little Puerto Rico.

It is to the gay community's advantage that THE SAN JUAN STAR and the other straight media sources in Puerto Rico publishes the "news" about Carlos Sanchez's hate mongering efforts against gay people in Puerto Rico. It is the responsibility of a fair and free press to publish all the news that happens. I only wish there was more coverage in the states and the rest of the world about how GBLT people are treated in Puerto Rico. We need more press coverage off the island.

Sanchez, who heads an anti-gay group, is his own worse press agent. His efforts at getting news to harm gay people demonstrate that his modus operandi is predicated on ugly hate.

The more that Puerto Rico's homophobic hate-mongers are covered in the press, the more God-loving -- not God-fearing -- intelligent thinking people on this "Enchanted Island" will become disgusted with them. I am positive that the overwhelming majority of Puerto Ricans are lovers and not haters. By constantly telling the "Silent Majority" the truth about the gay community, straight people will more and more recognize and accept gay truths and will gradually no longer listen to the homophobes waving their bibles. The fight for human rights has always been a slow process and not done in one day.

The way to fight for human rights against the lies of Carlos Sanchez and the other religious zealots is by using hundreds of tiny nails of truth to drive home our points of how evil and wrong-headed these hating homophobes are. One or two large spikes will not work and could turn off loving straight people who we need to be be spoon fed the truth about gay issues because sexual issues can be freightening to many of us. Of course, this doesn't mean that our letters to the editor cannot be brutally upfront with the truth while still expressing a compassion for sick, wrong-headed religious zealots and political bigots who have power on our tiny island. Pro-gay opinion-makers writing to the media should never stoop to the ugly level of lies and complete lack of compassion of the shouting and marching homophobes who are always staging opportunities to create hateful dishonest news against the gay community.

Sometimes, I just want to forget the fight for human rights and be quiet. Then, I read about the latest doings of a Carlos Sanchez and other religious zealots or well-known political bigots of both the New Progressive Party and the Popular Democratic Party in Puerto Rico joining their fellow religious homophobes on the Puerto Rico Capitol steps -- against the principle of separation of church and state -- to judge and comdemn gay Puerto Ricans. Then, my adrenline acts up again and I get re-charged to do my small part in the fight for human rights for gay people here in Puerto Rico. That is when I write a Readers' Viewpoint letter to THE SAN JUAN STAR (with copies to the gay activists, the gay media and my friends in Washington). Also, I call San Juan's Total Radio WOSO's "Speak Out" program to bitch like hell.

What really hurts me the most are a few of my highly educated and financially privileged friends who think all gays are anti-Jesus and hate them for not being good Opus Dei Roman Catholics. The only way I can handle these sophisticated closet bigots -- which they are -- is by my trying to be more like a loving Jesus Christ rather then the bigots' view of a hating Jesus who wants to condemn and outcast anyone who is different. Don't these bigots realize that the New Testament and Jesus Christ is all about love and not judging the worth of another human being to receive God.

I think if Jesus Christ would return to Earth, he would embrace all the gay people that I know. He would most certainly give some gay leaders a big hug and kiss them gently on their foreheads. It is not my problem to speculate as to what Jesus would do to Carlos Sanchez and other homophobes in Puerto Rico who take part in hate marches against those "sinful, corrupting homosexuals." I know what I would like Jesus to do to these religious and political haters of anyone who just happens to be different. However, Jesus would bless me and tell me to pray for them!

Robert McCarroll -- Carolina, Puerto Rico --- Metro San Juan Area
Reza  

Posted: 3 Feb 2004, 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Are stateside GBLTT people not interested in Puerto Ric Reply with quote

I know what you're talking about.

I'm actually -originally- from Puerto Rico. Am of that ethnicity and was born there. However I moved all over the US and it wasn't until I was 23 (just a few months ago) that I was able to return there. I lived there for a few months.

Wow. The blatant homophobia that surrounds that place is really astonishing. I am currently back in the US, thank God. However, one of the things that really struck me down there was just how -hateful- everyone was of gays. On the radio even they have no shame with flat out calling some a 'pato' = 'fag' or saying someone is doing 'paterias' which really translates into 'faggot shit'.

All the religious groups hate them. I couldn't find -one- member of my family down there who was really understanding of anything. It's horrifying. I'm not out, and perhaps considering where I fall I don't want to be out because of the stigma that comes from both groups.

Even so that is the -one- place where it must be incredibly difficult being gay. Because it runs rampant on the air waves, in the media. Gay bashing is common down there. I have to admit I haven't heard of any hate crimes, but I left a few months back, maybe something happened and that's unfortunate.

I think the issue they have is that it's so heavily catholic. Or there are so many Jehova's Witnesses or- just religious groups in general that down there don't understand that just because you're gay, it doesn't mean that you hate God. Or you're doing it to spite him.

I'm not saying anything relevant here.
Robert Mc  

Interests: Politics, gay issues, human rights, classical and ethnic music and art, alcoholism and drug addiction recovery, health and fitness, spirituality... We need support to fight homophobia by a hardcore of religious and political leaders who managed to con

Posted: 3 Feb 2004, 6:47 am    Post subject: LBLTT living in Puerto Rico need help from stateside LBLTT! Reply with quote

Reza, thank you for your reply. You are right on with your honest comments. We need friends like you, especially Puerto Ricans living in the states, to help us with getting the truth out about homophobic religious zealots and political bigots on this island. Here is a copy & paste of a letter to the editor which I submitted in April 25, 2001, to THE SAN JUAN STAR and THE BOSTON GLOBE. We are "LOST IN THE STARS" because none of our stateside GBLTt brothers and sisters seem to want to learn more about Puerto Rico and to help us... It was bad in 2001 .... the homphobic behavior is worse in 2004 than in 2001 because the religious zealots and political bigots know we are "lost in the stars" and no one from the states will put pressure on them to stop their homophobia acts against the island's gay community....

Cc: Human Rights Campaign - E-mail

Richard Chacon, Boston Globe -E-mail April 25, 2001 -- Page 1 of 2

Re: PUERTO RICO: "Police to pay $160,000 over anti-homosexual regulation"

-- Is Puerto Rico’s gay community "Lost In The Stars"?

Puerto Rico’s gay men and lesbians do not have the same gay rights as experienced by the gay community in the fifty states. There is no courageous and loud voice to defend and fight for gay rights on this disenchanted island. I am reminded of the musical, "Lost In The Stars," about South Africa before Nelson Mandela obtained power legally and civil rights for blacks became a reality. Before Mandela, the blacks were "Lost In The Stars."

While tremendous accomplishments in gay rights are being realized on the mainland, The Puerto Rican gay community is definitely a "little lost star" being left far behind. Gay rights organizations and the general media in the states are not even aware of the sad state of gay rights in Puerto Rico. We are American citizens under the U. S. Constitution, too!

Here is the latest example of far too many blatant examples of violations of gay rights: A news report in THE SAN JUAN STAR, Wednesday, April 25, 2001, Page 8, carries the headline: "P.R. to pay $160,000 over anti-gay police rule." This should be enough to make any gay man or lesbian want to scream out in indignation. But not here in Puerto Rico. Why would the gay community want to be part of the "Silent Majority"?

Not only did the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico have this outrageous police rule but as the photo caption states: "The 1st Circuit Court of Appeals criticized the commonwealth Police Department for having ‘fought tooth and nail’ to defend a prohibition against officers associating with homosexuals." Perhaps, gays and their straight friends in the states and the world, should consider the possibility that if homosexuals are persons "of dubious reputation," they should not come here as tourists and corrupt pure Puerto Rico.

Further in this news article, it is quoted: "Nevertheless, the appeals judges said commonwealth lawyers never tried to abolish the regulation at anytime during the course of the case. ‘When the court deemed the regulation unconstitutional, the commonwealth did not acquiesce, and rather fought tooth and nail to reverse the decision.’ "

This ruling should be viewed within the context of strong evidence of an obvious pattern of police brutality against gays, the homeless, Dominicans and other powerless people in Puerto Rico. There is an ignorant, defiant attitude of the Puerto Rico Police Department and the Commonwealth Government not to do an honest self examination of their alleged police brutality and culture of condoning anti-gay behavior.

Unfortunately, we have no effective gay voice here in Puerto Rico. The gay newspaper does not have the power to take on the homophobic establishment. Don’t take my worth for it. Read it when you can find it! The first and foremost priority of our gay activist leaders is with non-gay issues. They spend most of their efforts in nationalistic anti-American protests against the U.S. Navy on Vieques, Puerto Rico. These leaders do no understand or believe in the importance of having a singleness of purpose for defending and promoting exclusively gay rights.

Since we do not have a courageous, honest and loud voice on this disenchanted island, we need the help of gay organizations off the island. Also, we need both the gay and straight media in the fifty states and the world to tell the truth about the lack of gay rights in Puerto Rico. We have gay apartheid on this island. We are "Lost In The Stars"!

See April 25, 200l, Page 8, San Juan Star news article about the court rulings.
Coqui  

Posted: 3 Feb 2004, 7:38 am    Post subject: The Shamful Going Ons in Puerto Rico Reply with quote

To Reza and McCarroll

The horror stories in Puerto Rico about the Gays/Lesbians being bashed and trashed in Puerto Rico has reached epidemic levels. The Religious Groups, the Political Parties, The Police Force have all gotten together in one big effort to eradicate any movements of Gays/Lesbians in Puerto Rico.

Crime in Puerto Rico is not even investigated and rarely resolved and if it was a crime of Gays/Lesbians..don't even think about any resolution. The simple truth and answer of the Culture here is two less problems on this Island. They deserved it, they were looking for it.

Like the young rape victim who goes to discos and nite clubs gets brutally and sexually attacked by gangs of marauders and crazies and misfits, and she was looking for it. Oh yeah, A Woman looking to get raped and sodomized. How cute a culture we have down here on the Islands.

There's not one Political Party or Member who will come out and address this issue for fears of losing his machismo votes and looking like a wimp. Puerto Rico has no compassion or understanding on these issues. This society is only for the strong, the thugs, the mob rule, the hatred and venom that is really winning over everyone in Puerto Rico.

Civil disobedience has a green light in Puerto Rico and everyone has a "get out of jail" life time card and the moral values and social justices in Puerto Rico have fallen before our very eyes. The skilled and talented and honest and hard working Puerto Ricans are leaving the island by the plane loads. Their fears for bringing up a family with true values and a quality of life doesn't exist anymore on the Island.

The Macho Puerto Ricans and the Politicians and the Religous Groups are saying to you, if you don't like it here, just simply leave. Guess what??? We are leaving!!!
Robert Mc  

Posted: 3 Feb 2004, 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coqui: I appreciate your reply to Reza and Robert Mc . I am forwarding your latest posting to all my gay and straight email friends. I hope more residents of Puerto Rico would post on this forum as you have. Why do Puerto Rican residents remain so silent when outrageous behavior is done against the Human Rights of minorities or people that "seem" different?

I am for statehood, but often wonder if Puerto Rico is ready for statehood or deserves it. Would Puerto Rico's hatred of gays and non-Christians be a corroding virus in the body politic of the fifty states if Puerto Rico became a state today? Shouldn't there be a period inwhich Puerto Rico makes an effort to learn about the United States Constitution and have a more democratic mentality regarding government. Why haven't pro-statehood political leaders taken the responsibility of educating the residents of Puerto Rico to respect the United States Consitution and the principles of democracy?

Imagine a large painting of the Sacred Heart of Jesus hanging in a public office where residents register to vote? I was told that I should get it in my head that separation of Church and State does not apply in Puerto Rico as it does in the states because Puerto Rico is a "Christian country or nation." Of course, all GBTT people have no place in a "Christian nation" according to the religious zealots and political bigots who have the power in Puerto Rico. They fail to realize that judging and condeming gay people against the love taught by Jesus is a sin. Who are the real sinners on this island?
Coqui  

Posted: 4 Feb 2004, 9:33 am    Post subject: There's An Epidemic In Puerto Rico Reply with quote

I am sick of the silent majority in Puerto Rico that doesn't care about democracy or good efficient government or enforcing the rules of the citizenery and the laws of being good neighbors.

I am sick of the sleazy politicians who are paraded day in and day out at these Senate probes and investigations for corruption and high crimes.

I am sick of the pathetic environmental laws not being enforced for littering and trashing the Island beyond redemption and repair.

I am sick of the behind the secrecy governments of Sila Calderon and others who pretend to be true and loyal Americans and all they want is their demands and whims and a free ride and the United States be damn.

I am sick of the politics in every daily breath we inhale in Puerto Rico. I am sick of the religious and zealous groups and the political cowards who bury the civil rights of the gays/lesbians and other minorities in Puerto Rico for the thugs and their companions for their votes every election year.

I am sick of the Catholic Church who pretends to be the shepard of the people and act as if they are the cohorts of this anti american government in their shameful stand against the United States and the religious rights of minorites and gays/lesbians.

I am sick of all the whining and complaining of the Puerto Ricans who sit on their lazy rear ends and demand respect when they themselves failed to show It to others and their Island.

Yes, I am sick of a lot of things but the voices of many like Bob, Edwin, Hector, Carmen, Leonard, Nestor, Doris and Sherman and others can change this pathetic behavior of Puerto Ricans into being responsible and civilized citizens of a proud and healthy and clean Puerto Rico.

Can we all be cured of this Sickness???
Coqui  

Posted: 5 Feb 2004, 8:20 am    Post subject: The Ruling of the Massachusetts Supreme Court Reply with quote

This ruling in Massachusetts could be short lived if President Bush and his rigged Supreme Court will challange the State's ruling as an infringement right on the Nation's Constitution.

What happens is not the decision in one state but will it apply to the other 49 states as a legally basis for acceptance of gay/lesbian marriages like a driver's license can be used in one state and vice versus.

Perhaps, states with huge inheritances laws and those states of the conservative South throughout the Bible Belt of Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell and those Baptists Conservatives will mount political pressures on State Lawmakers to kill this Ruling in their local jurisdictions. What one Court in one state does not dctate the rulings in toehr states.

This is an election year and all this might simply be swept under the politicial rug of Congress until after the National Elections. This will become more of an religious issue than a legal issue far down the road like the abortion rights to the unborn and to the choice advocates. This will be nasty and ongoing War over the rights of one group over another.

Remember, Equalization has never been challenged in the US Constitution and all it simplys says is that All Men Are Created Equal......NOT That All Men Have Equal Rights.

There is a difference if you read it twice. Your opinons....
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.