Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Looking for a poem

Reply to topic   Post new topic
JadeTober  

Posted: 29 Oct 2006, 2:22 pm    Post subject: Looking for a poem Reply with quote

Hi All,

I wondered if anyone could help me, I am looking for a poem called (I think!) My Lady aint no Lady...I have no clue who wrote it other than she was a lesbian poet...probably american. The poem basically is a woman saying something along the lines of...

My Lady aint no lady, she doesn't walk demurly into a room she strides in and takes up all her space...etc
and ends
My Lady aint no lady and thats ok with me 'cause I aint no Gentelman

Can anyone help? It's driving me NUTS!

Jade x
cmg  

Interests: Archeoastrology, Art History, Political Science, Literature, Architecture, Film, Sociology, Cultural Anthropology
Physical Location: Los Angeles

Posted: 12 Dec 2006, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a poem Reply with quote

It sounds familiar. I was just reading "The Portable Harlem Renaissance Reader" Penguin Books. You might want to check it out of the library or buy it because I seem to remember those very lines somewhere in the poetry section. In any case, the book is a wonderful and educational read.

JadeTober wrote:
Hi All,

I wondered if anyone could help me, I am looking for a poem called (I think!) My Lady aint no Lady...I have no clue who wrote it other than she was a lesbian poet...probably american. The poem basically is a woman saying something along the lines of...

My Lady aint no lady, she doesn't walk demurly into a room she strides in and takes up all her space...etc
and ends

Jade x

Linda  

Interests: Pets, politics, sports, gardening, needlework, mystery novels, cooking
Physical Location: Dearborn, MI

Posted: 13 Dec 2006, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a poem Reply with quote

JadeTober wrote:
Hi All,

and ends

Jade x

Hi, Jade.

Using the search term "My lady ain't no lady" (including the quotation marks and apostrophe) on Google, I found that the author of the poem is Pat Parker and that the Women's and Gender Studies program at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln has a 1986 video recording of her reading it. Perhaps if you write to them, someone can provide you with the text. The web address is www.unl.edu/womenssp/resources/videos.shtml. The web page has a "Contact Us" button and e-mail addresses for various people.

Good luck finding the poem!
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.