Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Welcome to the Politics and Acitivism Board

Reply to topic   Post new topic
glbtq  
Site Admin

Posted: 23 Feb 2004, 10:00 am    Post subject: Welcome to the Politics and Acitivism Board Reply with quote

Welcome to the Politics and Activism Board. This board is devoted to mainstream politics, political science, and all forms of glbtq activism.

All visitors may view posts in these discussion boards, but only members may post messages. To become a member, click the "Join Today" link in the green login box in the left column of this page.
Trotsky  

Interests: I like people who make sense and I like to make sense of people, in a world that sometimes makes little sense.
Physical Location: Amsterdam

Posted: 1 May 2004, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Turning the curse into a blessing. Reply with quote

Our parents and society teach us to think that we're sinners. The most difficult thing about coming out is not necessarily the reaction of people around us, but the negative feelings we may have about ourselves. Few of us were raised with positive gay role models. So we face the big bad world badly equipped in terms of self-confidence and self-esteem. I had a gay uncle who threw himself under a train, and a gay great-uncle who spent a lifetime deep inside the closet. I never knew my uncle, but I once met my great-uncle, when I was fifteen, fifteen minutes on a London street corner: that was not going to happen to me, I thought. I've lived with my gran in England for three years (she is my role model), burdoned with my mother's religious nonsense (educated by nuns) and sense of duty (gramps was an army man). For three years I lived the double life, and when I moved to Amsterdam I exploded out of the closet. I made friends and they helped me turn the curse into a blessing, and this is what it is all about:
- they expect the worst -> give the worst (though I'm restrained by my own set of values, that are inclusive);
- forget about children, design your life without having to consider them (and I've travelled the world). When friends start having children: you get all the fun and none of the bother;
- stop thinking in terms of male-female as the dominant gender paradigm wants you to do; dive deep into yourself and define yourself without reference to male-female stereotypes;
- you don't fit anywhere, forget about stereotypes applying to you, write your own rules, live without the autopilot and be in charge of your own destiny (I really like this one, and live by it; to be honest, I'm helped by my mixed nationality background, I don't fit in with the Dutch).
So I joined gay politicos (the group that started the gay monument), but found that being out and proud in the big bad world is a political statement in itself, especially when you're the type who opens his gob when he sees injustice. It is enough to be out and proud: people see your courage and take courage; people ask questions and you give honest answers; nephews and nieces have a crazy uncle and an excuse to be crazy themselves; you're true to yourself so you encourage others to be true to themselves; etc. That is quite enough. Or isn't it?
Lily27  

Interests: Social issues Litterature Anthropology
Physical Location: Vancouver, Canada

Posted: 29 Nov 2004, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very inspiring!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Lily xxx
mdyches  

Interests: Scrapbooking, reading, cross stitch, cooking, social work, social welfare.

Posted: 5 Jun 2005, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Activism Reply with quote

I would know how to become involved in protesting hate crimes. I read the article on hate crimes in the "home" section of the site but it does not give any way to become involved in protesting these crimes, either to politicians or general public. Is there a network of activists like we had during the protests of the 70's? Thank you.
rambi  

Interests: criminal invetigation on comuinsum & fbi agents im investigating thos issue here involving kkk & other things
Physical Location: usa

Posted: 27 Jun 2005, 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Welcome to the Politics and Acitivism Board Reply with quote

quote="glbtq"]Welcome to the Politics and Activism Board. This board is devoted to mainstream politics, political science, and all forms of glbtq activism.

All visitors may view posts in these discussion boards, but only members may post messages. To become a member, click the "Join Today" link in the green login box in the left column of this page.[/quote]

daer sirs

i voted for bush on the way on corp career terorism targeted@ SINGLEMALE SINGLE
DWELLING HOME OUNERS DENYING US EMPLOYMENT TO KEEP OUR HOMES TRYING
THE MYTH THAT A SINGLE MAN OUGHT LIVE IN AN APT !
sigles have the same rights as any one ! ALL OF US! THOS A DIRECT ACT OF TERORISM TARGETED @ SINGLE MALES
JohnLinds  

Interests: landscape, politics, information systems,
Physical Location: Surbiton, London

Posted: 8 Mar 2006, 5:47 am    Post subject: politics and lgbtq* Reply with quote

My experience of lgbtq* politics in the past thirty years is that the autonomous movement has attempted to reconstruct history in a lgbtq* way, leaving out all the connections with the rest of politics and history.

I wonder whether the construction of these discussion groups and the encyclopedia itself adds to that?

Recently I have found in politics the role of Ashbee, Forster, Gide, and others much more general than I had thought or known, yet these missing activities don't fit any of the categories in the encyclopedia, so I either have to put messages in many places or lose connections?
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 8 Apr 2006, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following the political scene for years. As a transgender and transvestite, I am taking more interest in transgender issues. I don't see myself as a political activist but as a teacher. I do have opinions about a number of issues and, which may on occasion, go against the grain of this forum. I'm more concerned about helping people to understand themselves and feeling that they are a part of something.
While transgenders have made progress, there more to be done. On that end I will support anything which will benefit EVERYBODY. There has been some interesting and informative POVs on this site and I look forward to reading more in the future.

GENNEE
john.ed  

Posted: 27 Apr 2006, 12:00 am    Post subject: let me know Reply with quote

i wanna know more films or plays. so could you tell me fimls and plays which you recommend.
please send a email to moyutojp@yahoo.co.jp.
thanks
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.