Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Most influential films in changing attitudes

Reply to topic   Post new topic
skraame  

Interests: Literature
Physical Location: Oslo, Norway

Posted: 21 Mar 2004, 10:19 am    Post subject: Most influential films in changing attitudes Reply with quote

Hello!

I read this interview with the director of Oslo Kinematografer (Cinemas of Oslo) where she claims that film is the most influential art form when it comes to changing straight peoples attitudes towards gays and lesbians in a positive direction. I agree with her. I think films like Merchant and Ivory's Maurice has had big influence. Much more than E.M. Forster's book that it is based on. (Although I think this wonderful book has been more important for many gays themselves.)

What do you think? What "gay" and "lesbian" films do you think have been of importance for the Straights?

Best regards,
BÝrge
TMannFan  

Interests: literature esp. novels, poetry, biography and history. Favorites include, inter alia. Edmund White, WH Auden, Platen, Stefan George, Thomas Mann, Neil Bartlett. Music-classical and opera esp.
Physical Location: nyc

Posted: 10 Aug 2005, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Most influential films in changing attitudes Reply with quote

skraame wrote:
Hello!

I read this interview with the director of Oslo Kinematografer (Cinemas of Oslo) where she claims that film is the most influential art form when it comes to changing straight peoples attitudes towards gays and lesbians in a positive direction. I agree with her. I think films like Merchant and Ivory's Maurice has had big influence. Much more than E.M. Forster's book that it is based on. (Although I think this wonderful book has been more important for many gays themselves.)

What do you think? What "gay" and "lesbian" films do you think have been of importance for the Straights?

Best regards,
BÝrge

I am not that sure that Films are as influential as Television in the US; maybe they are in Norway. However, that said, I would say that the film that had an impact in the US was PHILADELPHIA. All American Tom Hanks as a gay opera lover dying of AIDS certainly opened up a lot of eyes. I don't think that Maurice as a film had any impact in the US. It's a lovely film but I doubt anyone much saw it who wasn't already convinced. Merchant Ivory productions, with the possible exception of Passage to India, are not big box office or even moderate box office in the US. I mean, come on, look at who is running this country!

Maybe the blockbuster ANGELS IN AMERICA on HBO had an effect too, at least I hope it did. THE HOURS might also have influenced some, though I don't really think the Ed Harris character is too sympathetic to the average straight American viewer. I think it was Nicole Kidman's fake nose that got them hooked.
Potter_rb  

Interests: Fine Art & LIterature
Physical Location: Oklahoma City, OK U.S.A.

Posted: 15 Nov 2005, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love! Valour! & Compassion!, Torch Song Trilogy, and Paragraph 175 are all very important films that portray real issues faced by homosexuals.
TMannFan  

Interests: literature esp. novels, poetry, biography and history. Favorites include, inter alia. Edmund White, WH Auden, Platen, Stefan George, Thomas Mann, Neil Bartlett. Music-classical and opera esp.
Physical Location: nyc

Posted: 14 Dec 2005, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Brokeback Mountain Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see what if any effect Brokeback Mountain has on views of gay men.
All the Golden Globe nominations may not mean anything to the average film goer.
Last night Letterman had a very lame response to his attempts to joke about the movie and his top ten list of how to tell if you are a gay cowboy fell so flat that he raced through it as if he knew how embarrassing his treatment of it was as he was reciting it.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.