Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: anyone know anything?

Reply to topic   Post new topic
PJ  

Interests: the reformation of society to no longer see homosexuality as submissive but more as a minority group. sorry it sounds so activist, but thats what i want.
Physical Location: school

Posted: 21 Apr 2004, 1:28 pm    Post subject: anyone know anything? Reply with quote

i have a thesis paper to write on the evolution of homosexuality in society over the past 200 years, does anyone know anything about europiean insights towards homosexuality during this time???
PJ
anony  

Posted: 25 Apr 2004, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone know anything? Reply with quote

PJ wrote:
i have a thesis paper to write on the evolution of homosexuality in society over the past 200 years, does anyone know anything about europiean insights towards homosexuality during this time???
PJ

There is a good treatment of the evolution of European perceptions of same-sex activity on www.gayhistory.com. It covers the emergence of homosexuality as a "disease" during the 19th century. It's weak on 20th century developments, though.
Jesseboy  

Interests: Left-handed, Cuban-Jewish, nudist leather bear. Freelance writer ("The Book Nook"; "Jesse's Journal") and activist. Likes books, movies, music, history, politics, travel and like-minded individuals.
Physical Location: South Florida

Posted: 26 Apr 2004, 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone know anything? Reply with quote

PJ wrote:
PJ

Check out "Homosexuality and Civilization" by Louis Crompton. It's a comprehensive history of homosexuality from the Ancient Greeks and Judeans until the early 19th century.
Ryan  

Interests: Queer History and Biography
Physical Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted: 26 May 2004, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone know anything? Reply with quote

Jesseboy wrote:
Check out "Homosexuality and Civilization" by Louis Crompton. It's a comprehensive history of homosexuality from the Ancient Greeks and Judeans until the early 19th century.

What Jesseboy said. Excellent book, well worth checking out.
curiouslb  

Physical Location: Wisconsin

Posted: 12 Jan 2005, 6:50 pm    Post subject: question? Reply with quote

does anyone know where, when, and who the first gay couple that tryed to get married? and did they get persecuted or have any repercutions?
sps  

Physical Location: Toronto, Canada

Posted: 7 Mar 2005, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone know anything? Reply with quote

PJ wrote:
PJ

Hello PJ,

Here are a few that I know:

Homosexuality in Modern France. Edited by Jeffrey Marrick and Bryant T. Ragan. 1996.
(Covers the period from the Enlightenment (18th century) to Foucault.)

The Early Homosexual Rights Movement (1864-1935). By John Lauritsen and David Thorstad. Revised edition, 1995. (Fiirst edition, 1974.)

The Love that Dared Not Speak Its Name: A Candid History of Homosexuality in Britain. By Montgomery Hyde. 1970.
(Dated, but interesting given the time at which it was written. The author was not gay, but sympathetic.)

Also, check books by Jeffrey Weeks (I may not have the correct spelling of either name), a British gay historian.

Best of luck to you. -- Steven
RossB  

Interests: I am extremely interested in scientific treatments of same-sex desire throughout history but particularly during the nineteenth-century.
Physical Location: Oxford, UK

Posted: 31 Jan 2006, 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: anyone know anything? Reply with quote

PJ wrote:
PJ

Your thesis is probably long written but if you're still interested in this subject then check out this link - http://www.thesymposium.co.uk/19bibliography.htm - for a comprehensive bibliography of nineteenth-century scientifically-based documents on same-sex desire. I am still constructing this but have already posted original English translations of some interesting documents, mainly from France and Germany where most of the action was back then - and there's loads more to come! It would be great to hear back from you and to read your thesis on this fascinating topic.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.