Not a Member Yet? 

JOIN TODAY. IT'S FREE!

Advertising Opportunities
  Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Were you ever a lost soul who found Amazing Grace?

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Robert Mc  

Interests: Politics, gay issues, human rights, classical and ethnic music and art, alcoholism and drug addiction recovery, health and fitness, spirituality... We need support to fight homophobia by a hardcore of religious and political leaders who managed to con
Physical Location: Metro San Juan, Puerto Rico

Posted: 3 Jun 2004, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Were you ever a lost soul who found Amazing Grace? Reply with quote

This is prob­ab­ly the most pop­u­lar hymn in the Eng­lish lan­guage—a tel­e­vi­sion doc­u­ment­ary was ev­en made about it. Per­haps it is be­cause its words so well de­scribe the au­thor: John New­ton who was a slave trad­er be­fore accepting the Grace of God.

I once believed that God had forsaken me. One day I realized that I was the one who had forsaken God. His Grace was always there but I was too spiritually blind to accept His Grace.

This is not only my favorite hymn, but my favorite song. What is your favorite hymn or song? Every word of this hymn has meaning to me. It describes my life while active in my alcoholism and my progress in recovery and finding a Higher Power of my own understanding.

Amazing Grace made it possible for me to come out of the closet. I needed to accept that I was gay and there is nothing immoral about being gay. God gives his Grace to gay people and alcoholics if we are willing to accept His Grace. Some of us had to hid bottom to understanding Amazing Grace.

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me,
His Word my hope secures;
He will my Shield and Portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, Who called me here below,
Shall be forever mine.

When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we’d first begun.
Sword  

Interests: Writer, Champion of the underdogs, Lay Minister, Registered Massage Therapy, playing pool, dancing, gardening
Physical Location: Galveston,Texas,USA

Posted: 12 Jun 2005, 6:11 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Amazing Grace is my all time favorite as well, I have a version that will be read to distribute later. I think you would probaly like it.
In addition I want to give you ammunition to fight the right wing 'Christians' out there. Go take a look at the forum reference 'A new book'. The core of my book of stories, parables, life of Jesus, and essays, is called Reconciler Gospel of Thomas. The verse I got excited about is the last one 114. There is a clear and Affirming message that God has a special and important role for the LGBTQ community. Go look at it and tell me what you think. Take care of yourself.
Angel Eliza (Sword)
nightcruz  

Interests: I enjoy ghost hunting and history. Biblical history and really basically all history really, and also astronomy
Physical Location: Florida

Posted: 24 Aug 2005, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Were you ever a lost soul who found Amazing Grace? Reply with quote

I myself to suffer from addiction and alcoholism and really found that God who i grew up with was punishing which is what i was taught and i found that was not true, I did find that grace this time around and am so happy to have. I do believe in Jesus and God and Mary too, I just love Mary. I really feel in my heart that God made me gay. And that i am part of gods structure, I also feel the same of my disease of addiction and that It was thru him i found relief on a daily basis. Only on a daily basis as long as i continue in my life with him. Have you ever seen the book GOD CALLING it is edited by AJ Russell. It is a wonderful book, i think the 24 Hours a day book is based on it from what i understand and have seen it written in that book, i am sure it was 24 hours book or one of our daily reading books. But if you can get it try it its great. It is sad that the churches, Not all. Have said so many things about gays and i bought it, it kept me from God. I was not wanting to hear of it because what i really hated was the people who taught that stuff. Today for me, its ok that they teach that, that is them. I see God different. I cant judge the churches anymore. But i feel that if they had not done this alot of gays like me would be with God in our lives but for so long we and me rejected and hated to hear of God. Recently on my last relapse, i had to go back to God, i knew what I had always known in my heart, I have had miracles in my life that have happened that I simply put off as coincidence. Now i see, WOW, that was them all along. My family in heaven. Well Another thing that was really interesting was that your discussion was the first that I saw. WOW again, and all i looked for was religion and yours was the first i read. And i had that song on my mind. See to me this is not a coincidence. I hope you can reply to me i would like to hear more about how and what things God has done in your life. Thanks for letting me share....A FRIEND OF BILL W.
mikel  

Interests: reading, enjoy being with other men of like interest. Always lively discussion on IM and emails. Best at face to face contact.
Physical Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

Posted: 25 Aug 2005, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing Grace is what I long as I live. I have lost everything except my family and few fellow gay friends I have. My church has even turned away from me until they want me to do something in the decorating for a dinner or season. I fell lonely everyday as I am at home by myself due to medical disability. Occasionally my gay friends will drop by but they all want the same thing. I want to talk and all but they are in a hurry and want to complete their reason for being here. But I know I have God on my side. I contenplate whether to end my pain or to live for the next day. So far the next day has won but it is getting harder. I am only 53 years old. Back in my younger days I was always attracted to older men now they are getting fewer and fewer. I have become the older man now.
Joe887775  

Interests: A Curious and Open Mind has something to Find and better Understand.
Physical Location: Southern California

Posted: 29 Aug 2005, 2:44 am    Post subject: Amazing Grace Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing how you feel and most important is that you said "I have God on my side." You are doing just fine in my opinion. You said your church turned away from you, well here I am in support of you and where two or three are gathered in the name of Jesus, He is There!

mikel wrote:
Amazing Grace is what I long as I live. I have lost everything except my family and few fellow gay friends I have. My church has even turned away from me until they want me to do something in the decorating for a dinner or season. I fell lonely everyday as I am at home by myself due to medical disability. Occasionally my gay friends will drop by but they all want the same thing. I want to talk and all but they are in a hurry and want to complete their reason for being here. But I know I have God on my side. I contenplate whether to end my pain or to live for the next day. So far the next day has won but it is getting harder. I am only 53 years old. Back in my younger days I was always attracted to older men now they are getting fewer and fewer. I have become the older man now.

Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.