Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Transgender Civil Rights Failures

Reply to topic   Post new topic
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 9 Feb 2007, 5:13 pm    Post subject: Main Issues Reply with quote

Hi,Anya. I read your post and I was quite fascinated by it. I will read the little booklet on the website. I wish to know what are the main issues of transgenders in Washington state? I follow the goings on in Seattle, Olympia, and Spokane on occasion. Are the legislators understanding of the needs or transgender folks? Also what can I do to help? Thanks

Gennee
AnyaAdora  

Posted: 10 Feb 2007, 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gennee,

I appreciate your post greatly. You have asked some very good questions and i am happy to respond.

The main issues for transgender persons in our state vary, as they do for all types of gender variant persons. Our organization focuses primarily on transgender civil rights law in Washington State, research on support and enforcement of law, as well as providing a historical perspective of how transgender persons have been perceived within the same state government which has passed this landmark law.

Olympia, Spokane and Seattle all being in Washington State are equally responsible for ensuring compliance and providing support whereas our rights are concerned. Local laws have varied whereas sexual orientation is concerned previous to the passing of HB 2661 as law, however, transgender and gender variant persons have only recently won civil rights protection state-wide on the basis of our unique gender-related issues.

The legislators were quite supportive of HB 2661, as both Democrats and Republicans were involved in the passing and support of this bill into law. The issues for transgender persons which remain, from our perspective, have much to do with the unique issues which arise for transgender or gender non-conforming individuals who have unique issues in insurance and employment which are not common to GLB persons. Our medical needs make us unique, as many gender variant persons who are undergoing cross-sex hormone therapy, surgery and psychotherapy have concerns which cannot be expressed within the current representation of us from a 'sexual orientation' based perspective. There are many TG persons who are in fact straight, celibate or otherwise.

This is a great part of the difficulty we face and why we aim to assist in education, research and watchdog efforts to ensure we are not forgotten and provided the same attention others with medical needs and concerns are afforded. We fit well in several areas of the GLBT spectrum, our focus is mainly to bring awareness to our issues which are not so obvious. We believe this itself is a crucial step towards true transgender inclusion under law.

I hope after reading our materials and my post here i have helped :) Please post again or feel free to contact us with any questions you still have.

We are a fairly newly formed org working on several things, including a film!
Online petitions will be coming in 2007 and will be directly linked from our site... That will be a great way to help once we get there ;)

Thanks again Gennee, i appreciate your questions!
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar

Posted: 14 Feb 2007, 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anya. I read the booklet that I downloaded. It seems that nothing was allocated for support, financial or otherwise. I see nothing referring to gender identity and expression that has teeth to it. On paper it looks good but in practice, I find it wanting. Whether the leislators really know and understand transgender issues is at best questionable. I also think tha the gay community's lack of response to transgender concerns highlight the problem.

The politicains receive much financial support form the gay community. The issue of gay marriage has scuttlebutted the concerns of the trans community, where our concerns are more dire. I hope the governor will make amends and correct this error. Otherwise, hang in there and let your voices be heard.

Gennee
gennee  

Posted: 22 Feb 2007, 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, AnyaAdora. How are things? I haven't had a chance to look over the eight page paper again but I will. I still feel the same way as I mentioned in an earlier message. I'm trying to get the gist of how this law was passed without any provision to support it.

Seems like I've taken a keen interest in this as I plan to visit Washington state in the future. I picked up copy of Transgender Rights at the bookstore. I am reading it now to try and understand what lies ahead for us. I look forward to hearing from you.

Gennee
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.