Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Judge declares marriage legal...

Reply to topic   Post new topic
kereth  

Interests: classics, anthropology, gender and religion in the ancient world, religious and magical practices, archaeology, theory of ideas
Physical Location: Southeastern US

Posted: 19 Jun 2004, 9:36 pm    Post subject: Judge declares marriage legal... Reply with quote

But in this case, it may be a bad thing.

A judge in Texas ruled that a transgender woman's marriage to another woman was legal by ruling that she is legally a man. This is bad news for the transgender woman, both because she sought an annulment in order to retain control of her assets, and because the ruling invalidates the legal change of her gender designation, which took place months before the marriage. Attorneys specializing in transgender issues hope that an appeal will overturn the decision, forcing a modernization of the way gender is defined in Texas.

Kereth
Ninelives  

Interests: Music, Playing guitar, philosophy, life the universe and everything.

Posted: 25 Jun 2004, 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree it is a bad thing. She will have faught hard to define herself as the woman she now is only to have a judge slap her old identity back in her face.

Why can't people marry who they want? I myself think why marry at all it is an outdated notion which was only used in the past to strip women of the very few freedoms they had (but that is my opinion). I think love is stronger than any ritual could symbolise, do i love a person more because i have spent a grand on a ring and declared it in front of a group of people that can't wait for the drinking to begin.

To me it only has significance on a material level in that it allows pension rights etc which are obviously very important. As for acts of love i think it is better to show it everyday than to cram it all in one day which is how it comes across. (me bitter nooooooo :) )

In this particular case i hope the appeal will force a more modern approach.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.