Not a Member Yet? 

JOIN TODAY. IT'S FREE!

Advertising Opportunities
  Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Discussion on Current Civil Rights Issue.

Reply to topic   Post new topic
MadAtLaws  

Interests: People-I like people Music-Whether I make it or not it's still the best thing in the world Frogs-Would be my favorite animal if they were an animal. But, Alas, They are amphibians Books-Alice In Wonderland Whatshisface was high when he wrote that book
Physical Location: Fredericksburg, VA

Posted: 19 Jul 2004, 12:18 am    Post subject: Discussion on Current Civil Rights Issue. Reply with quote

First let me start out stating I am a teenager, only at the age of 14 and this is the first time I felt this strongly about a civil rights issue.

Gay marriages will be legalized and will be a turning point for this country, as was Slavery was banned, and Women got rights. It will just take time to let everyone get used to the idea and accept gay marriages. Though isn’t this a form of discrimination against gays and lesbians? Weren’t we taught in elementary school to not taunt and tease kids and call them names such as gay, fag, and other names to such effect? If we would all act mature we could see that gay marriage will NOT hurt anyone. It will not make our species die out, cause more diseases, or anything of the same nature, in fact it might help us in our country seeing as overpopulation is well in our midst and we would have to turn like China and have a law to only have one child. In gay marriages I think more people would be more comfortable with the Idea of adoption. And adoption rates would increase with the comfort of that support, marriage.

We, the gays and lesbians, should not be pushed into the corner, or thrown into a closet. We should stand up and not be different, because we aren’t any different then any of the heterosexuals but be recognized as another turning point for our country.

Just because “Marriage is traditionally a heterosexual institution” doesn’t mean people can make new traditions - like they do everyday - and well, just do it. If you are a person who believes gay marriage offends everything religion stands for. Whatever happened to separation of church and state? Anyways, whose religion is it offending? “Many mainstream Christian denominations, to be sure, and definitely most branches of Islam and Orthodox Judaism, but outside those, most religions are unopposed to gay marriage, and many actually favor it.” Who gets to define marriage? The Married? People who already have the legal right to marry? Isn't that kind of like allowing a banker to decide who is going to own the money that is stored in his vault?

The very basis of the American ideal is that our government does not deny its citizens their basic civil rights unless there is a compelling reason to do so. Whether you agree with the gay and lesbian lifestyle or not, unless you can show a compelling reason to do so, you should not pass laws that deny us legal protections, especially the right to legally marry.

If you wish to contact me, email me at briannakara@hotmail.com or write to

Brianna Johnson
11807 Woodland View Drive
Fredericksburg VA 22407

·ï¡+¡ï· MðРű £ªw ·ï¡+¡ï·
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.