Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: High Level Discrimination in Largo, FL

Reply to topic   Post new topic
DVDLover  

Posted: 3 Mar 2007, 2:31 pm    Post subject: High Level Discrimination in Largo, FL Reply with quote

A disturbing press release from Equality Florida, released on Feb. 28, 2007

Largo Commissioners Bullied into Firing City Manager

(LARGO, FL) Today, Equality Florida expressed disappointment at the 5-to-2-vote by Largo City Commissioners to City Manager Steve Stanton, a 17-year veteran of the city. Last week, Mr. Stanton announced that he is transgender and will be completing the gender reassignment process in the coming year.

Under the city’s charter, last night’s vote was the first step in a three-step process required to remove the City Manager.

“We are deeply disappointed that a majority of the Largo Commissioners allowed bigotry and bullying from a large local church to cloud their judgment in last night’s vote,” said Brian Winfield, Equality Florida Communications Director. “The mob mentality in the Commission Chambers last night was frightening and the fact it was organized and fueled by a local church is outrageous. Should Steve chose to continue to fight for his job through the remaining steps of the process, he will have our unwavering support.”

Equality Florida worked with local community leaders back in 2003 to pass a Human Rights Ordinance in Largo that would have prevented this type of discrimination in employment for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals. After an equally contentious public hearing, the City Commission of Largo rejected the proposal, succumbing to pressure from the same mega-church that led last night’s debacle.

Instead of passing the HRO, the 2003 commission passed an internal non-discrimination employment policy for the City of Largo that explicitly prohibits discrimination in public employment on the basis of gender identity and expression.

Equality Florida is Florida’s only statewide human rights organization dedicated to the rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people. Through education and advocacy, the organization is committed to building a state of equal rights for all Floridians, inclusive of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 5 Mar 2007, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Two Wrongs Reply with quote

I have been following this story with rapt interest. I have also been following the Nemecek case up in Michigan. I am a born again Christian myself, and I believe that the antagonists are wrong. I just think that both parties are more interested in maintaining their so-called nirvana rather than showing Christian hospitality.

I also believe that these people would rather remain ignorant rather than find out what transgender and transsexualism are about. I'm following this story closely and will do whatever I can to help.

Gennee
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 5 Mar 2007, 12:42 pm    Post subject: Two Wrongs Reply with quote

I have been following this story with rapt interest. I have also been following the Nemecek case up in Michigan. I am a born again Christian myself, and I believe that the antagonists are wrong. I just think that the Largo City Commission and Spring Arbor College are more interested in maintaining their so-called nirvana rather than showing Christian hospitality.

I also believe that these people would rather remain ignorant rather than find out what transgender and transsexualism are about. I'm following this story closely and will do whatever I can to help.

Gennee
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.