Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: History of same-sex abuse

Reply to topic   Post new topic
MLouis  

Posted: 3 Aug 2004, 3:09 pm    Post subject: History of same-sex abuse Reply with quote

I am interested in knowing about quantitative data regarding the existence and incidence of pederasts and gay child molesters in America, typically before the year 1960, and especially the nineteenth/early twentieth centuries. I feel that just as the gay "rights" movement that has begun in the past four decades has also seemed to be the beginning of an awareness of same-sex abuse. I am certain that boys were victims in the past, but nowhere have I ever come across this, either referenced by contemporaries of those respective historical periods, nor in literature of the present. The only exception that might make an implicit case that incest like this was prevalent in a homosexual culture is Caleb Carr's 1994 novel "The Alienist." If anyone has any references that I could find, as difficult as it seems to find them, I would greatly appreciate it.
tess  

Interests: Education; activisom; health; history, gender and social policy
Physical Location: Prince George BC Canada

Posted: 28 Nov 2004, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: History of same-sex abuse Reply with quote

Quote:
[i]I am interested in knowing about quantitative data regarding the existence and incidence of pederasts and gay child molesters in America, typically before the year 1960, and especially the nineteenth/early twentieth centuries. I feel that just as the gay "rights" movement that has begun in the past four decades has also seemed to be the beginning of an awareness of same-sex abuse. I am certain that boys were victims in the past, but nowhere have I ever come across this, either referenced by contemporaries of those respective historical periods, nor in literature of the present. The only exception that might make an implicit case that incest like this was prevalent in a homosexual culture is Caleb Carr's 1994 novel "The Alienist." If anyone has any references that I could find, as difficult as it seems to find them, I would greatly appreciate it.
[/quote][/i]

I may not fully iudnerstand your query or your terminology but from what you write I am worried that the approach you are taking is flawed: sexual abusers of children are not homosexual or heterosexual - they are pedophiles; that is, the gender of the child is not the subject of the fixation - it's the youth and innoence. So, to catergorise your search by looking for same sex abusers is conflate homosexuality and pedophilia. This will, in turn: a) muddy the waters about the nature and severity of the abuse suffered by the children; b) put children at risk as parents (and others) try to protect children from all homosexuals when in fact the majority of child molesters and pedophiles "pass' as heterosexuals in sustaining marriages (often marrying single parent women). The work you propose is important, as the extent and severity of child sexual abuse, including through the internet, is so wide ranging we can not afford to be inaccurate in the terminology and definitions used
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.