Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: homecoming hell

Reply to topic   Post new topic
KellyLynn  

Interests: drawing, painting, pointilism, ceramics, poetry, sculpture, short stories, modern literature.

Posted: 26 Sep 2004, 2:02 pm    Post subject: homecoming hell Reply with quote

Hmmm, how to easily start off this post.

My School, Fort Zumwalt West, is a rather large high school of 2,400 students, located in O'Fallon/St. Peters, Missouri. However, in this overpopulated school (which, by the way, has the highest pregnancy rating in the country), there seem to be few people who have even a SPECK of liking for gays, lesbians, and bisexuals. This has often irked me, but I never really got angry about it until my homecoming dance, last Friday.

I went to the dance without a date, but with some very close friends. One, I had a crush on. I am a bisexual female (sophomore) and she the same. We've always been pretty close, but I knew that something had to happen pretty soon between us both.

As soon as we hear the music, we are attracted to each other like magnets. We have to dance together, hold on to each other. We slow dance together. We kissed once, but it was more of a small kiss, and it was quickly done, so nobody noticed.

About an two hours into the dance, we're kissing again. But this time we're not doing it quickly, we just really liked each other, so we just started "making out" I guess. As soon as we stop, there are about twenty people surrounding us. They start yelling "WE'RE YOU MAKING OUT?!" Of course, we said yes, because it was obvious. They just started yelling at us and grabbing our arms and pulling us apart. A teacher actually had to come and pull them all off of us both. We both ran for cover in the courtyard, to where some of our other friends were. Of course, that was the end of that.

The next night, we had another homecoming, this time for Juniors/Seniors. And according to my ex, there was a couple having sex in the courtyard. Nobody said A THING.

I'm tired of being harrassed and I'm tired of being pushed around by people who think that it's "disgusting" that I like girls. It's time for a change. My crush and I are writing an article, and handing out surveys, but somehow, that doesn't seem like it's enough.

Isn't there ANYTHING that I could do?
Or is ther anything that LGBTQ could do?
Nic  

Interests: I love to read and draw. School is really fun for me and I enjoy it. I like to play a little vidoegames once in a while, and if I do then I play Kingdom Hearts. I am interested in meeting new people here and I think it will be fun!
Physical Location: Rome, NEW YORK

Posted: 27 Sep 2004, 6:25 pm    Post subject: I am only... Reply with quote

Well I am only 13 and haven't thought about the whole HomeComing thing yet.... I am gay so I have always dreamed about it with that perfect guy.... I am not sure how it would be though.... I am moving soon and I am gonna be with a guy who I love and he loves me, and we are gonna be together and stuff.... I don't know, but I think since we plan to move out at 16 and pretend to be roommates we can then live our lives together and then tell our parents.. Thats how we see it.. I guess that will lead up to the homecoming.
wik  

Interests: History, the Web
Physical Location: Chicago

Posted: 4 Oct 2004, 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: homecoming hell Reply with quote

Hi KellyLynn,

You are certainly experiencing an ugly side of homophobia in your school. It sounds like your school really needs a Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) if it doesn't have one already. Have you thought of starting one?

GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network (www.glsen.org) provides a detailed guide about how to get a GSA started in the "students" section of their Web site. It might be a great place to start.

Wik
lpfan760  

Interests: Gay rights.

Posted: 1 Nov 2004, 6:46 pm    Post subject: Ouch... Reply with quote

I really hate to say this, but you might just have to deal with it, and wait untill you get out of HS. Im a freshman, and i live in a very homophobic, rural area, with a school bigger than yours, but with average class sizes. I have experienced soooo much homophobia that it sickens me. I have thought about trying to contact the district and showing them the statistics of gays that drop out because of homophobia (i think its like 12%).... But i still dont know. I plan to move to a large city like LA, or NY, where people might not care about such a small thing like sexuality.
fermata18  

Interests: My interests lie in the arts, particularly music. My foundation is in the violin, but I am passionate about nearly every genre that exists. (Country and oldies still have yet to work on me completely, but I'm getting there.)

Posted: 26 Nov 2004, 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ouch... Reply with quote

lpfan760 wrote:
I really hate to say this, but you might just have to deal with it, and wait untill you get out of HS. Im a freshman, and i live in a very homophobic, rural area, with a school bigger than yours, but with average class sizes. I have experienced soooo much homophobia that it sickens me. I have thought about trying to contact the district and showing them the statistics of gays that drop out because of homophobia (i think its like 12%).... But i still dont know. I plan to move to a large city like LA, or NY, where people might not care about such a small thing like sexuality.

As a bisexual (but not completely open) student at a homophobic, small-town, rich-kid school in suburban Ohio, I will have to agree with this post somewhat. (A prime example of the issues surrounding my school: we had a mock election on November 1 and a guy came out of the polls shouting, "Don't vote for fags, vote W!" Ugh. But we won't get into politics now.)

I won't say there isn't anything you can do at all, as a guy did start a GSA two years ago at my school. However, the interest wasn't high enough to keep it going just because people, even non-homophobes, were too scared to join. (This includes me.) When he started it there was an uproar in the community, which was almost a positive thing consdering homosexuality had never been brough to the forefront of our town's main issues. Anyway, some of the letters to the editor written in our local paper sickened me, so I wrote a well-composed letter myself that provided no hostility or attacks on anyone, and it felt really good. In that sense, we've made just a little progress.

But it won't happen overnight at my school or yours.

The point I'm trying to make is that your efforts to open people's minds are not completely in vain. Just know that, like the person I quoted said, all you need to do is be patient and wait. I am currently preparing to begin college (at very liberal schools, mind you), and I know that there are things in store for me bigger than high school, bigger than those friends I have that I'll never see again after a few years (I mean, I have to be realistic), or the gossip and bullcrap you're enduring. I admire your courage, and I wish you the best of luck!
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.