Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Welcome to the Suggestions board

Reply to topic   Post new topic
glbtq  
Site Admin

Posted: 1 Feb 2003, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the Suggestions board Reply with quote

Welcome to glbtq's Suggestions board. We invite you to post your suggestions and feedback here to help us improve www.glbtq.com.

Only members may post messages on glbtq's discussion boards. Membership is free, and you may join by clicking the "Join Today" link in the green login box in the left column of this page.
firewomon  

Interests: transsexuals in the workplace, jodo shinshu buddhism; queer civil rights & marriage; fire service women; lesbian/transgender/queer art, politics, ecosystems & feminist issues; retired l.a.f.d. firefighter
Physical Location: bellingham, wa

Posted: 9 Mar 2003, 2:03 pm    Post subject: goals and objectives? Reply with quote

what are the goals, objectives and the mission of this encyclopedia? are the topics going to expand and what are the criteria? what is the informational - long range goal of this "book?" is the org going to publish rfp's for subject matter experts and their material? does glbtq have groups for topic ideas, e.g. transgender & transsexualism, gender identity, feminism, queer social/political change, etc?

from michele at the center for gender sanity.
wik  

Interests: History, the Web
Physical Location: Chicago

Posted: 9 Mar 2003, 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: goals and objectives? Reply with quote

firewomon wrote:
what are the goals, objectives and the mission of this encyclopedia? are the topics going to expand and what are the criteria? what is the informational - long range goal of this "book?" is the org going to publish rfp's for subject matter experts and their material? does glbtq have groups for topic ideas, e.g. transgender & transsexualism, gender identity, feminism, queer social/political change, etc?

from michele at the center for gender sanity.

Dear Michele,

You ask many great questions.

The objectives of the glbtq encyclopedia are described in the "About glbtq" section of the web site in the Press Kit. In particular, the press Profile page and the press Frequently Asked Questions page address what glbtq is and what it aspires to become.

Right now, editorial development is focused on the next section of the encyclopedia, History and Social Sciences. At the same time, we are adding entries to the existing sections (Arts and Literature) as General Editor Claude Summers, our Board of Editorial Consultants, our contributors, our members, and I feel we should.

I am expecting to launch a new subsection in the About section to guide potential contributors about upcoming opportunities to write glbtq entries within the next month or so.

glbtq does not host groups in the formal sense (i.e. we don't have anything similar to Yahoo groups), but this discussion board system will expand and provide new boards as you and other members suggest them. I expect "Open Mike," a general issues-oriented board , and a new board for technical support for visitors who have difficulty using the site to open this week.

So far, only one new board has been suggested, a board that addresses transgender education issues, but interest in the topic seems weak. To suggest a new board, post a message here, or click the "Suggest a New Discussion Board" topic link at the top of the discussion board Index page. The best way to get a new board off the ground is probably to suggest it in one of the existing boards and see if others who visit the site share a particular interest.

I look forward to your suggestions, and to adding some new boards.

Best Regards,

Wik WIkholm
Publisher
www.glbtq.com
magoo  

Interests: motorbikes, computers, eating, reading, feminist issues, commercial exploitation of queers
Physical Location: melbourne

Posted: 2 Apr 2003, 2:49 am    Post subject: re: layout Reply with quote

this website needs more photos and pictures... .there is really cool stuff to read online.... but more photos are needed
Osvaldo  

Interests: gay & latino culture, US LGBT History, Gay Culture in Latin America, LGBTQ US Latino Identity, Gay Latino Literature, LGBT Political Movements, Gay Sociology, and Anthropology
Physical Location: Boston, MA.

Posted: 25 Jun 2003, 9:27 am    Post subject: Expanding the Discussion topics Reply with quote

I think a simple and easy way to expand for now would be to add in the discussion section more catagories.

For example, under literature I began a topic on Latino Fiction, but my real expertise is on Latino Non-Fiction. I have a lot of works that I would like to discuss,share, etc. with other members. My field is History, but also includes Sociology and the Queer Latino and Latin American dynamics.

If GLBTQ could add sections...this would be my suggestions:
Category: Social Sciences
1. History
2. Social Sciences (Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology)

Category: Ethnic Studies
1. Latino/Latin American Studies
2. African/African American Studies
3. Asian/ Asian American Studies
4. South Asian Studies

Category: Public Policy
1. Law and Public Policy
2. Politics in the United States
3. Politics Worldwide
4. GLBT Social Movements

Category: Architecture

Category: Education

I think that by adding these categories to the discussion section you really would expand the amount of discussions held in this page, not to forget to mention the large amount of knowledge that could potentially be shared!

Sincerely,

Osvaldo Del Valle
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.