Not a Member Yet? 

JOIN TODAY. IT'S FREE!

Advertising Opportunities
  Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Does anybody know crime novels with lesbian characters?

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Paloma  

Interests: I'm studying literature. So of course I'm interested in that. I am also interested in films and music. Well, Culture in general.
Physical Location: Roskilde - Denmark

Posted: 29 Jun 2007, 7:20 am    Post subject: Does anybody know crime novels with lesbian characters? Reply with quote

I am studying literature and I am going to do a project about lesbian representation in crime and detective novels. The problem is I don't know which ones are classics, so I am hoping someone in here can help me. I am looking for both novels with central figures who are lesbians and also novels with minor characters that are lesbian. I am looking for both new and old books, and both some with female and male authors.
Linda  

Interests: Pets, politics, sports, gardening, needlework, mystery novels, cooking
Physical Location: Dearborn, MI

Posted: 29 Jun 2007, 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anybody know crime novels with lesbian characters? Reply with quote

Paloma wrote:
I am studying literature and I am going to do a project about lesbian representation in crime and detective novels. The problem is I don't know which ones are classics, so I am hoping someone in here can help me. I am looking for both novels with central figures who are lesbians and also novels with minor characters that are lesbian. I am looking for both new and old books, and both some with female and male authors.

Hi, Paloma.

If you haven't yet read the entry "Mystery Fiction: Lesbian" in the Literature department of www.glbtq.com, you might want to do so in order to get some ideas about appropriate novels for your project. You might also want to go to the "Awards" entry in the Literature department and click on the link to the Lambda Literary Awards page in the bibliography. There you will find a list of previous winners of the award for lesbian mystery fiction.

Good luck with your project. I'm sure that you will find plenty of material for it.
ElectricA  

Physical Location: London, United Kingdom

Posted: 4 Jul 2007, 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only book that comes to mind is Johnny Come Home by Jake Arnott, however it depends whether you just want a lesbian character or a lesbian criminal/suspect - the (lesbian) character is not considered the main 'criminal' as it were, however if I remember correctly she has undertaken some criminal activities!
Lantern70  

Interests: animals and nature, experimental music, the Beat Movement, liberalism
Physical Location: New England

Posted: 5 Feb 2008, 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Does anybody know crime novels with lesbian characters? Reply with quote

" I am looking for both novels with central figures who are lesbians and also novels with minor characters that are lesbian. I am looking for both new and old books, and both some with female and male authors.[/quote]"

Often considered the best noir writer that the United States has yet produced, Patricia Highsmith's novels are fraught with gay and lesbian characters. She is a writer of sharp, psychological precision. Her characters are motivated by fear and guilt. Rational people bored her and she plunged into the demimonde of psychosis. She had a keen understanding of why people commit murder in which internalized homophobia plays a significant role. She is the author of THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY and STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, both made into movies, the latter being one of Alfred Hitchcock's best. I recently read that one of her books, FOUND IN THE STREET, is in production. The central character is a lesbian, but I don't know who's been signed for the role. I do know that Hugh Jackman and Christopher Walken star in it. I am a gay male and I read this book. I enjoyed every minute of it. GLBTQ has an entry for Highsmith. I recommend you research it.[/i]
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.