Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Misinformation on site about "Night of the Long Knives&

Reply to topic   Post new topic
elizschro  

Posted: 5 Jan 2005, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Misinformation on site about "Night of the Long Knives& Reply with quote

Just an FYI -- in the history section of this web site, it reads: "On June 30, 1934, the "Night of the Long Knives," Hitler ordered the assassination of homosexual leaders of the SA, the Nazi paramilitary group headed by Ernst Röhm. In justifying this purge, which helped Hitler consolidate his control of the military, the Nazi leader specifically evoked Paragraph 175 to explain the massacre as a cleansing of the party of degenerate corrupters of youth."

This implies that ONLY the gay leaders of the SA were killed that night, and that there were enough of these murders to bring about the decline of the SA. I've checked a number of other sources, and this is not accurate. I don't know whether the content editors of the site read these postings, so I thought I'd give it a shot. :)

Thanks.
Claude  

Interests: glbtq culture
Physical Location: New Orleans

Posted: 8 Jan 2005, 8:53 am    Post subject: Misinformation Reply with quote

Thanks for the posting. The passage quoted, from the entry on Paragraph 175 in the Social Sciences Department, is accurate. But I agree that it may be misleading in the sense that it might imply that only homosexuals were massacred in the Night of the Long Knives. Therefore, we will change the wording from "Hitler ordered the assassination of homosexual leaders of the SA" to "Hitler ordered the assassination of the leaders of the SA."

In any case, the crucial point that the author is making is that Hitler invoked Paragraph 175 as a justification for the massacre.

Please also see the discussion of the Night of the Long Knives in the entries on Germany and on Ernst Rohm, also in the Social Sciences department. The entry on Nazism and the Holocaust also discusses the purge of the SA and recounts the Nazi persecution of homosexuals.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.