Not a Member Yet? 

JOIN TODAY. IT'S FREE!

Advertising Opportunities
  Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: UK LGBT History month (February 2005)

Reply to topic   Post new topic
leispiach  

Posted: 26 Jan 2005, 2:28 pm    Post subject: UK LGBT History month (February 2005) Reply with quote

In February there is a project starting to open discussion of LGBT issues in schools. Homophobic violence is on the increase in UK schools, and this project may bridge the divide between ignorance and fear, and tolerance and understanding. I think it's a great idea anyway, and wish it had been around when I was at school.

Typically, there is a lot of opposition to the project from faith organisations and from the more right-wing parents and teachers, but it has the backing of government, and should be fairly decently supported. This isn't a single campus event, this is aimed at ALL schools in the UK.

More information can be found at http://www.lgbthistorymonth.org.uk/
DavidE  

Physical Location: Nottingham UK

Posted: 14 Feb 2005, 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: UK LGBT History month (February 2005) Reply with quote

leispiach wrote:
In February there is a project starting to open discussion of LGBT issues in schools. Homophobic violence is on the increase in UK schools, and this project may bridge the divide between ignorance and fear, and tolerance and understanding. I think it's a great idea anyway, and wish it had been around when I was at school.

Typically, there is a lot of opposition to the project from faith organisations and from the more right-wing parents and teachers, but it has the backing of government, and should be fairly decently supported. This isn't a single campus event, this is aimed at ALL schools in the UK.

More information can be found at http://www.lgbthistorymonth.org.uk/

Thanks, leispiach, for drawing people's attention to this potentially positive (and, as you say, government backed) UK initiative. The LGBT History month does, however, go beyond schools. Lots of groups are organising different sorts of events. In Nottingham there's a workshop on History month on Feb 28th. Also, Nottingham Lesbian and Gay Switchboard's History Project has been transferred to a website http://www.nlgshistory.ik.com
and updated. The History Project was a National Lottery Millennium Project. It was based on 3 things: the Switchboard and the organisations from which it evolved; parallel local and national developments since the 1960s and the reminiscences of 20 people whose ages ranged evenly from 25 to 85. Another history website has alos been set up locally and this is at
http://www.equalityinsexuality.moonfruit.com/
ArLd_2inz  

Interests: Reading
Physical Location: Palmer Alaska

Posted: 25 May 2005, 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is their anything like a LGBT Month in the United States?
anony  

Posted: 25 May 2005, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArLd_2inz wrote:

Yup. It's October. Bill Clinton officially recognized it, but the Bush administration hasn't.
ArLd_2inz  

Interests: Reading
Physical Location: Palmer Alaska

Posted: 26 May 2005, 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And people wonder why I dislike Bush.
Hartlee  

Interests: Painting, drawing, swimming, dancing, and reading. I am learning capoiera, it's awesome!
Physical Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted: 12 Oct 2005, 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anony wrote:
ArLd_2inz wrote:

Yup. It's October. Bill Clinton officially recognized it, but the Bush administration hasn't.

What kind of events go on? I want to be a part but I don't really know anything about it. SIlly Bush, worrying about gay people getting married when there are so many other issues to address. . . When did this country become more focused on taking liberty away instead of giving it? Disturbing. . .
DavidE  

Physical Location: Nottingham UK

Posted: 13 Oct 2005, 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to hear details of any LGBT History activities in the USA, but - as mentioned before - the best way to keep up-to-date about what is happening in the UK is to look at http://www.lgbthistorymonth.org.uk/ In Nottingham in Feb.2006 we hope to have the following

1. A City Council sponsored room where there is a week-long exhibition of local LGBT History ... also using the room for several evening events such as
2. An LGBT quiz
3. A talk about local LGBT history
4. A look at LGBT stereotyping
5. A talk by Professor Greg Woods (Professor of lesbian and gay studies at Nottingham Trent University)

The City Council have also said that they will sponsor the February edition of QB, the local LGBT free newsletter.

By the way, Nottingham now has its own memorial to the lesbian and gay Holocaust victims - it's a plaque at the Holocaust Centre in Nottinghamshire. If you want to see more of it, go to the "2000 onwards" section of the website www.nlgshistory.ik.com
JohnLinds  

Interests: landscape, politics, information systems,
Physical Location: Surbiton, London

Posted: 17 Feb 2006, 8:41 am    Post subject: Notingham lgbtq* opportunity Reply with quote

Most interesting the point about the council room in Nottingham (sorry US for all this Britain interest :)).

I was in Nottingham earlier this week doing some field work, and popped into the Central Public Library. They have 60 odd books around the library with the word homosexuality in the title, or in the Library of Congress subject headings.

There is also, in the local studies collection, a most wonderful and comprehensive index to Nottingham and shire worlds over the years, but no catalogue entry for homosexuality. One would need to work through the thousands of entries to find any possible hooks on which to hang a gay history.

There is also the Thoroton Society proceedings, over one hundred years, with an index, but no entry on homosexuality. So there is a good opportunity for some practical organisation. Byron is a good place to start.

I do hope I missed something.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.