Not a Member Yet? 

JOIN TODAY. IT'S FREE!

Advertising Opportunities
  Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Whos your candidate................
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic   Post new topic
hyehopes  

Interests: Politics, History, Culture, Environment, Civil Rights, Religion, Foreign Policy etc...
Physical Location: Glendale, CA, USA

Posted: 9 Jan 2008, 2:45 am    Post subject: Whos your candidate................ Reply with quote

I am voting for Barack Obama because I believe he embodies true progressive stances which are backed up by a strong liberal voting record and a pro gay rights record. Also I am excited about the fact that this candidate is part of the anti-establishment ticket. Who do you support and why?
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 9 Jan 2008, 11:51 am    Post subject: Still Researching Reply with quote

I haven't chosen any one at the present time. I have to do my homework on the candidates.

Gennee
DVDLover  

Posted: 9 Jan 2008, 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to vote for Barack Obama on Super Tuesday. I agree that he represents change of the best kind.

With Clinton, Edwards, and Obama on the Democratic ticket, it would be hard to make a wrong choice, though. I like them all and would be glad to vote for any of them in the general election. This sure beats 2004 when the Democratic nominees were much less appealing. I think we're gonna win this time.
JayJay  

Interests: gay history

Posted: 9 Jan 2008, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone would be better than the vicious and incompetent current occupant of the White House. Clinton, Edwards, and Obama are very attractive candidates. I would be happy with any of them. Each has problems of electability, but so do the Republican frontrunners. Huckaby is a yahoo with frightening ties to the Christian Reconstruction movement; Romney is completely untrustworthy; McCain is tired; and Giuliani has more baggage than anyone. So I do think that Clinton, Edward, and Obama can probably beat any of the likely Republican nominees.

DVDLover wrote:
I plan to vote for Barack Obama on Super Tuesday. I agree that he represents change of the best kind.

With Clinton, Edwards, and Obama on the Democratic ticket, it would be hard to make a wrong choice, though. I like them all and would be glad to vote for any of them in the general election. This sure beats 2004 when the Democratic nominees were much less appealing. I think we're gonna win this time.

DVDLover  

Posted: 9 Jan 2008, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayJay,

Do you have a favorite?

I'm afraid of Hillary just because she gets the Republicans so upset. I think she could do more for Republican turnout than any of their leading candidates.

The concern I have with Obama is the comparisons to RFK. RFK was killed, and Michelle Obama has expressed the concern that Obama could face the same fate since the U.S. boasts a unique zoo of racist nuts. That's not going to keep me from voting for him. He's courageous to run, and I salute him.

I think I'm buying hope. After 8 years of lunacy, we can't lose this one.
JayJay  

Posted: 10 Jan 2008, 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DVDLover,

I incline toward Hillary. I know you are right about how much the Republicans hate her, and that may motivate them to get out to vote against her, but I think she is very well qualified to be President.

Obama is a very charismatic person. I just wish he had more experience.

[I had not thought of the danger he may face. What a tragedy for the country (as well as for him and his family) it would be were he assassinated. I hope he has excellent protection.]

You are certainly right that we cannot afford 8 more years of Bush lunacy. The dollar is worth about half of what it was when Bush took office. The national debt has ballooned. The Constitution has been effectively emasculated. There is no longer a separation of church and state. The country practices torture and the Attorney General condones it. The price of oil has tripled. The country is far more vulnerable than it was when he took office. And the Republican version of slash-and-burn politics has in effect destroyed our democracy. It is impossible to have a discussion of real issues without being distracted by lies and fear-mongering, whether it be on same-sex marriage or immigration.

I keep thinking of how the Republican attack machine distorted Kerry's record and fear what they will do to Obama. At least Hillary has been through all this before and survived.

DVDLover wrote:
JayJay,

Do you have a favorite?

I'm afraid of Hillary just because she gets the Republicans so upset. I think she could do more for Republican turnout than any of their leading candidates.

The concern I have with Obama is the comparisons to RFK. RFK was killed, and Michelle Obama has expressed the concern that Obama could face the same fate since the U.S. boasts a unique zoo of racist nuts. That's not going to keep me from voting for him. He's courageous to run, and I salute him.

I think I'm buying hope. After 8 years of lunacy, we can't lose this one.

gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar

Posted: 10 Jan 2008, 11:07 am    Post subject: Overrated? Reply with quote

JayJay, though experience is important, it can be overrated. Bush has experience and so does McCain Huckaby and Guiliani. Would you voe for hem based on the fact that they have experience? If Obama wins the key for him is who he has around him. One reason I believe Reagan was successful was the fact that he surrounded himself with people who knew their job and performed.

Gennee
DVDLover  

Posted: 10 Jan 2008, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Overrated? Reply with quote

Hi Gennee,

Your point about experience is a good one. I think it counts for something, and Hillary would be a great advocate for the glbtq community. If she somehow repackages the experience argument, which now looks a lot like "same old status quo," she's got a chance of whomping Obama.

As you know, Obama is my favorite, but I can't get too exercized about this debate. I like Obama, Edwards, and Clinton so much that I feel like we're choosing the best among three great candidates. In 2004, I felt like we were choosing the least terrible one, and I don't think the Democrats got it right with Kerry who proved to be an awful campaigner.
JayJay  

Posted: 10 Jan 2008, 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Overrated? Reply with quote

Hi Genee,

I agree that experience can be overrated. I don't agree that Reagan was a good President. He was popular and managed to inspire some people, but he was utterly oblivious to those suffering from AIDS. He was genial, but not a very good person, and certainly not a good President for glbtq people. I hope that Obama surrounds himself with better people than Reagan did, and I think he will.

gennee wrote:
JayJay, though experience is important, it can be overrated. Bush has experience and so does McCain Huckaby and Guiliani. Would you voe for hem based on the fact that they have experience? If Obama wins the key for him is who he has around him. One reason I believe Reagan was successful was the fact that he surrounded himself with people who knew their job and performed.

Gennee

DVDLover  

Posted: 10 Jan 2008, 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Overrated? Reply with quote

Jay Jay,

You're on target with Reagan. His was the first administration to give the NeoCons a firm footing in government and his AIDS policy (or lack thereof) was shameful and cost lives. Like Bush, he caused soaring deficits which largely helped the well-to-do and he busted unions brutally.

In many ways, Bush Jr. continued the Reagan tradition, except that he accentuated its worst parts in international affairs and added some extra religious bigotry to the mix. Now the government is fighting a Crusade against enemies of convenience in Iraq, pursuing abstinence education in schools, and denying glbtq people federal job protections in the name of Jesus. Reagan's alliance with Falwell and friends started the process that brought us here.
gennee  

Posted: 11 Jan 2008, 1:28 pm    Post subject: More Needs to Be Done Reply with quote

I'm not too sure as to how much knowledge or the depth Reagan had about the AIDS crisis but agree that Bush should have done more.

Gennee
JayJay  

Posted: 11 Jan 2008, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: More Needs to Be Done Reply with quote

Dear Genee,

I don't want to keep harping on Reagan, who has not been among us for a while, but he was President when the AIDS epidemic broke out in the 1980s, and he had the responsibility of being informed about what was going on in the country, whether he was "gaga" or not. Several "friends" of his died of AIDS, most prominent among them, Rock Hudson, yet until then he never mentioned the word much less attempted to deal with the crisis. (Reportedly, however, he told AIDS jokes in the White House.) He was conveniently out of town during the 1987 March on Washington, when the AIDS Quilt was debuted and when 800 people were arrested in front of the Supreme Court in the largest civil disobedience action ever held in support of glbtq rights. His Justice Department argued in court that AIDS sufferers should not be protected from discrimination. His record on AIDS is disgraceful. George H.W. Bush's is not good, but it is better than his predecessor's. (It could hardly be worse.)

And DVDLover is surely right that many of the worst excesses of the current Bush administration, including the unnecessary war in Iraq, can be traced to the Reagan years.

Republicans can get misty-eyed romanticizing the gold old days of the gipper, but glbtq people should not.

gennee wrote:
I'm not too sure as to how much knowledge or the depth Reagan had about the AIDS crisis but agree that Bush should have done more.

Gennee

gennee  

Posted: 18 Jan 2008, 1:32 pm    Post subject: what are important issues? Reply with quote

Since we are on the topic of which candidate we are going to vote for, what are the issues that are important to you that need to be addressed?

Gennee
hyehopes  

Interests: Politics, History, Culture, Environment, Civil Rights, Religion, Foreign Policy etc...
Physical Location: Glendale, CA, USA

Posted: 20 Jan 2008, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: what are important issues? Reply with quote

gennee wrote:
Since we are on the topic of which candidate we are going to vote for, what are the issues that are important to you that need to be addressed?

Gennee

These are the issues that are most important to me

1) Dont ask dont tell
2) STRONG civil unions with equal benefits (as obama has suggested)
3) strengthening and properaly funding public education
4) The occupation of Iraq
5) Free Trade and the economy
6) universal healthcare
7) revitalizxing the public realm

8) And the most important issue to me is bringing about a new direction in our country. A change that will bring this country together and throw off the yolk of the corrupt machine that has been regurgitating the status quo. This machine has favored the establishment and has successfully implanted the same two families as head of our government for over a decade. This machine must be dismantled to give room for democracy to flourish and for progressive change to become a reality not just a witty election talking point.
JayJay  

Posted: 21 Jan 2008, 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: what are important issues? Reply with quote

Hi Hyehopes,

Most of your issues are the ones I also care about, though I would rank the economy higher than you do. The Bush administration has squandered the strong economy they inherited from the Clinton administration. They have gone on an incredible spending spree for an absurd war that has not only left us weaker, but has also drained our resources and ramped up an incredible debt. The dollar is at an historical low and our economy is kept alive only by the investments of the Arab states.

We need to get out of Iraq, pass ENDA, enact universal health care, end "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," recognize same-sex marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships on the federal level, end torture and close Gitmo, and restore the country's reputation as a leader in human rights.

I think Hillary is more likely to do these things than any other candidate. I am afraid that Obama will be ground up by the Republican attack machine.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.