Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Which book was this?

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Laughlyn  

Posted: 29 Feb 2008, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Which book was this? Reply with quote

For a course I took we read an extract from an autobiography about a gay man who was classified as mentally unwell due to his sexual orientation.

The part I read was about his early sexual experiences. I think, but am not sure, that his mother may have had involvement in his classification as being mentally unfit.

I remember the book as being amazingly well written and have always wanted to read the whole thing. If anyone has any ideas of any autobiographies that seem to fit this description, please fill me in.

Thankyou
Linda  

Interests: Pets, politics, sports, gardening, needlework, mystery novels, cooking
Physical Location: Dearborn, MI

Posted: 1 Mar 2008, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Which book was this? Reply with quote

Have you thought about e-mailing the professor who taught the course? That may be the quickest way to solve the mystery.

If that is not possible, perhaps you can add a few more clues to your description of the book.

In what country did the man live? Any place names would be helpful, as would personal names, even just first names.

Approximately when did the events of the book take place?

Do you remember any details about the man's life that might help with choosing terms for a Google search? Was he, for example, studying for a particular profession? Was a certain setting (e.g., summer camp, private school) important? Did he have any special hobbies (e.g., art, music, sports, theater, pets)?

I'm game to have a go at tracking down the book if you can give a little more information about it, and additional details might jog another reader's memory.
Laughlyn  

Posted: 4 Mar 2008, 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Which book was this? Reply with quote

Thanks for your response.

More information:

In regards to the early sexual experiences I alluded to above, he describes someone having "hypnotised" him so that they could give him oral sex (if I remember correctly). I think that may have happened on a summer camp.

Also I recall the following phrase: "Once I had drunk deep from a smelly teenage cock..."

I remember it because it was so evocative, beautiful and disgusting. I could never forget that phrase.

I hope that helps. I might see if I can find the lecturer's email, I'm no longer at that university.
Linda  

Interests: Pets, politics, sports, gardening, needlework, mystery novels, cooking

Posted: 4 Mar 2008, 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Which book was this? Reply with quote

Hmmm. Not exactly what I had in mind with regard to search terms, but I may have found the book. Have a look at Edmund White's *My Lives: An Autobiography* (New York: HarperCollins, 2006). Is that it?
Linda  

Posted: 4 Mar 2008, 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which book was this? Reply with quote

A quick trip to the local public library has confirmed what the Google search suggested: White's book is the one that you are seeking. (See page 5.)

Happy reading!
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.