Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: C.C. Saint-Clair's novels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic   Post new topic
torat  

Interests: rollerblading
Physical Location: new zeland

Posted: 23 May 2005, 12:59 am    Post subject: C.C. Saint-Clair's novels Reply with quote

My apologies in advance, if needed, for starting a new thread in this lit section, but the Top 10 Gay Novel thread is already far too long.
Besides, for what I could see at a glance, a lot of the entries circle around 'the classics', which means that the most recent were published circa 80s.
All of C.C. Saint-Clairs novels are worth a read. Don't you think so?
If you don't know, ... well ... time to come out from under that rock :)

Anyway, as a lesbian reader, I'd say that reading her Morgan in the Mirror is a must.
Except that you should really start with Far From Maddy, as these 2 are a pair.
But then, you might as well start or finish with Jagged Dreams. And there's another 3 or 4 in between.
Saint-clair's site is great, lots of sensual/sexy stuff to explore, and there's that real sensual splash page. I think she's Australian. well worth checking out.
chri-c  

Interests: reading - loving - reading - loving
Physical Location: paris, france

Posted: 23 May 2005, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: C.C. Saint-Clair's novels Reply with quote

torat wrote:
All of C.C. Saint-Clairs novels are worth a read. Don't you think so?
If you don't know, ... well ... time to come out from under that rock

Yay! another C.C. Saint-clair fan on this forum. Good to see. I read North And left some 3 years ago and worked my way through all 7 books. I don't have a favorite one. They're all different. I'd say it all depends on the background issue that's highlighted. Like Morgan in the Mirror. Saint-clair published it a couple of years ago when no one in my dyke community ever talked of transgendered FTMs. And in Far from Maddy, the topic of Gen X angst and homelessness by choice- I think it's great. Love the sexy bits too in all her novels.
jory  

Interests: Jogging, clubbing, reading
Physical Location: London

Posted: 30 May 2005, 12:18 am    Post subject: Far From Maddy vs North and left [take II] Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, as a lesbian reader, I'd say that reading her Morgan in the Mirror is a must. Except that you should really start with Far From Maddy, as these 2 are a pair.

I came across a couple of posts a while back and someone was asking whther Saint-Clair's novels are just sensual or are they erotic. I'm still not sure myself, but ... there;s a lot of hot page turning moments, that's for sure.

What i've found is that C.C. Saint-Clair's writing is speedier in her more recents novels than in North [TakeII] for exemple. Her ealier work is more introspective, more lyrical and personal than the recent stuff. But the recent stuff is better paced for the 20 somethings.
I'd say that the mood would dictate the writing style I'd prefer. But they're all good and absolutely relevant to what goes on in the lives of queer women.
torat  

Interests: rollerblading
Physical Location: new zeland

Posted: 1 Jun 2005, 4:07 am    Post subject: saint-clair's novels Reply with quote

you guys are way ahead of me.
I've only read far from maddy and morgan in the mirror, but I've read all the extracts on her wbesite.
I've asked my gf to get me North [takeII] for my b'day next week. What I found is that C.C.'s books are not easy to find in phys stores. Many onlines stores have them, but the cheapest deals are straight from her publisher's website; bookmakersin.com. I always try to bypass amazon when I can.
freefall  

Interests: sailing
Physical Location: aberdeen, scotland

Posted: 3 Jun 2005, 1:59 am    Post subject: C.C. Saint-Clair's novels Reply with quote

hi, Torat & Co :)
I've just come across your posts on C.C. Saint-Clair's books, and yes you can count me as a fan. I fact, I got such a kick out of Silent Goodbyes, that I've been using a line from that book in my signature. I really 'get' what she's on about.
I thought I'd mention another forum where other fans of CC's have been chatting. here's the link in cas you're interested. I've already posted there myself.
http://www.allthingslesbian.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=8
Cheers,
freefall
"Life is but a game of pinball. We are the ball. Once ejected into the world, we bounce from pillar to post, sometimes cushioned, sometimes not. The sure thing is that sooner or later, we end up in the hole." c.c. saint-clair
chri-c  

Interests: reading - loving - reading - loving
Physical Location: paris, france

Posted: 10 Jun 2005, 2:31 am    Post subject: saint-clair sexy or sensual Reply with quote

I'd say each of her intimate lesbian moments are sexy. A few of these moments are hotter than others, like when Morgan andChristen get it on or when Tamara and Emilie are trying to synchronize their arousal in Risking-me. I'd say that's erotic. What I like is that these scenes come as relief after a long build up in the plots. Even when Morgan, as an F2M, fantasizes about Christen and he's so turned on, that's erotic too.
gntltong  

Physical Location: New zealand

Posted: 19 Jun 2005, 11:54 pm    Post subject: sexy or erotic Reply with quote

I guess it depends on the mood at the time and whether or not there's any one under-hand :)
I did a rendition of the love moment - when Emilie projects as she watches Solange at the bow of their boat - with my own lover and ... the hands off imagination thing, as foreplay, made it quite hot for us once actually touched. And the Kiss scene in Risking-me, in the kitchen by the fridge, had me waiting for my gf to come home from work. And the scene in the surf in North & left from Here really, really worked for me too. Unfortunately, I was solo at the time I read it :(
wirepink  

Posted: 29 Jun 2005, 2:23 am    Post subject: saintclair books Reply with quote

my best saintclair moment is in risking-me. if nothing else, the scene of emilie;s kiss by the fridge has got to be a lesbian classic.
I'm pretty sure we've all had such a moment hwere you just cant tell which way is up because your eyes are shut tight and you just can't think straight because youre so turned on.
in the sequel, i really related to the scene on the dance floor. oh yay. been there myself.
good reading stuff. and the moment when emilie is just so aware of Tamara. another kitchen moment. wonder why saintclair has so many kicthen moments :)
timotei  

Interests: readin' and writin'
Physical Location: Queensland, Australia

Posted: 26 Jul 2005, 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: C.C. Saint-Clair's novels Reply with quote

freefall wrote:

I thought I'd mention another forum where other fans of CC's have been chatting. here's the link in case you're interested. I've already posted there myself.
http://www.allthingslesbian.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=8

yeah, as another C C fan, i've also been following ATL (All Things Lesbian) - and i've come across another review of C C Saint-Clair's Jagged Dreams, which i've printed here for your enjoyment.
cheers
timotei
C.C.'s Jagged Dreams
Pam Harrison
Friday 15 July 2005

The passing months since my first book review and interview with sensual lesbian Aussie author C.C. Saint-Clair have seen a swelling tide of interest in this woman and her published work. C.C. has an ability to create remarkably visual scenes and a talent for digging gut-deep into the emotions of her reader no matter what topic she might happen to delve into.

Jagged Dreams is such a book. The central character, Tamara, is savagely attacked in a parking lot and left for dead, later found by her lover, Emilie and taken to the hospital. Barely alive, fighting for consciousness, Tamara drifts in and out of reality into her dreams and memories of her past, vague glimpses of the attack in the parking lot, and that haunted summer in Bordeaux, France, where she first met and loved Marielle, a victim of incest.

Called an “intelligent and sensitive handling of the issue of abuse,” Jagged Dreams deals with homophobia and incest, but it's really about love and commitment. It's also about lesbian love, lust and temptation. This is the first of C.C.'s novels in which she also packs a “whodunit” inside the subplot. What else works in this novel, as in most of her others, is the way C.C. juxtaposes wonderfully sexy and poetic moments like those of Tamara and Marielle in the vineyards of Bordeaux with vile abuses of her father. The tenderness, the resilience, the gentleness of same-sex love, friendship and comfort is the overriding theme in Jagged Dreams.

C.C. had this to offer about the book: “My writing's primary focus…(is) lesbian romance that exposes the vulnerable, often emotional, side of real lesbians' lives, warts and all, through painful introspection.”

This book has received attention from a number of women’s groups and gay/lesbian welfare associations extolling the touching sensitivity she has employed on her topics, giving further kudos to her tag of “The Thinking Woman’s Lesbian Romance Writer.” She has expressed some discomfort with the title, but she is fully deserving of it, nonetheless. For those of you who are already Saint-Clair fans: C.C. is seeking an American publisher this year in hopes of widening her readership base. See what all the fuss is about! Get your own copy of Jagged Dreams today.
majaron  

Physical Location: KY, USA

Posted: 7 Aug 2005, 1:32 am    Post subject: CC Saint-clair Reply with quote

No idea who CC was until I caught her interview on Gender Talk.
I liked how she talked and what she said about her book, Morgan in the Mirror.
Quite an energetic woman.
I'm not TG myself but that Boston radio show covers a lot of good GLBT topics as well.
marlin  

Posted: 18 Aug 2005, 11:55 pm    Post subject: saint-clair on air Reply with quote

thnx for the heads up on the saint-clair interview. I've read all her books. There's no pix of her anywhere so it's nice to actally hear what she sounds like. I had to search quite a bit to find the file so here it is.

http://www.gendertalk.com/real/500/gt522.shtml

It's program 522 [6th august]. Get to it through the realplayer link. CC's segment is the last 30mins of the 2 hour long program.
freefall  

Interests: sailing
Physical Location: aberdeen, scotland

Posted: 7 Sep 2005, 12:23 am    Post subject: a pic of CC saint-clair Reply with quote

There's one pic CC Sain-Clair on one of the pages related to Silent Goodbyes on her site.
This book starts off with 2 lovers taking off for the high seas, in Australia.
I found out from another forum that the real skipper is CC's partner. she's the one who helped CC with the technical aspect of the research she needed while they were doing their own sailing around those Islands in Australia. Pretty cool.
marlin  

Posted: 10 Sep 2005, 11:57 pm    Post subject: thanks for the heads up Reply with quote

Yeah. I hadn't noticed that pic before. Weird. Maybe it's just been added. BTW, if you haven't bee on CC's site for a while, there's a new format to her 1st page. In a way I like it better. I'm glad she hasn't removed that torso tho.
M
timotei  

Interests: readin' and writin'
Physical Location: Queensland, Australia

Posted: 26 Sep 2005, 11:00 pm    Post subject: C C Saint-Clair's novels Reply with quote

congratulations CC!!! a well-deserved success for CC who wrote a filmscript of her novel Far from Maddy, and has been trying to get a producer/whoever to make a great lesbian film! ... well, CC has won second prize in the 2005 Barren Branches GLBT Screenplay Competition, run in conjunction with the Rhode Island International Film Festival (RIIFF) - congratulations CC!!!!!!!!!!!

there were 1983 entries submitted from all corners of the globe - covering the spectrum from comedy to drama to contemporary to historical - and the only person whose screenplay was judged better than CC's was a guy who has been in the industry since he was 15!

Grand First Prize
Outing Joey
J.T. Tepnapa, Los Angeles, CA

Second Prize
Far From Maddy
C.C. Saint-Clair, Australia

Third Prize
Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell
Zachary Lee DeGregorio, Los Angeles, CA
paulajer  

Posted: 21 Oct 2005, 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved North - her first - I think. I totally relate to Alex.
next to it, I definitely enjoyed Silent Goodbyes. My gf is exactly like Solange. Groan. pain in the ass but so good in bed.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.