Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Rick Warren to give invocation at Obama inauguration

Reply to topic   Post new topic
JayJay  

Interests: gay history

Posted: 19 Dec 2008, 10:02 am    Post subject: Rick Warren to give invocation at Obama inauguration Reply with quote

Are you as disappointed as I am that Obama has invited anti-gay preacher Rick Warren to give the invocation at his Inauguration? Warren compared homosexuality to incest and pedophilia and spread other lies about gay marriage in the campaign for Proposition 8. I am outraged. As far as I am concerned, the blush is off the rose in regards to Obama. I suppose it is good not to expect too much, but it is difficult to realize that Obama is just another politician. He promised change, but he is likely to give us more of the same.
Linda  

Interests: Pets, politics, sports, gardening, needlework, mystery novels, cooking
Physical Location: Dearborn, MI

Posted: 19 Dec 2008, 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rick Warren to give invocation at Obama inauguration Reply with quote

JayJay wrote:
Are you as disappointed as I am that Obama has invited anti-gay preacher Rick Warren to give the invocation at his Inauguration? Warren compared homosexuality to incest and pedophilia and spread other lies about gay marriage in the campaign for Proposition 8. I am outraged. As far as I am concerned, the blush is off the rose in regards to Obama. I suppose it is good not to expect too much, but it is difficult to realize that Obama is just another politician. He promised change, but he is likely to give us more of the same.

I share your indignation, Jay. Obama's choice of Rick Warren to give the invocation is an insult to the glbtq community, from whom he received considerable support on election day, and his subsequent characterization of himself as a "fierce advocate for equality" surely rings hollow. No true advocate for equality would put an opponent of equality on the world stage at the very beginning of his administration. Indeed, this does not augur well for positive change.
Rob Stahl  

Interests: Literature,Music, Baseball and Football

Posted: 21 Dec 2008, 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rick Warren to give invocation at Obama inauguration Reply with quote

JayJay wrote:

I agree it is a slap in the face to the LGBT community. Many of us supported and voted for Obama. We need to remind him and his administration that we will stand up for our rights and speak out against those that say hateful things against us.
DVDLover  

Posted: 22 Dec 2008, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rick Warren to give invocation at Obama inauguration Reply with quote

JayJay wrote:

JayJay,

I don't like Warren and his views either, but I think Obama may have made a good move. It certainly helped him politically more than it hurt him, but it may also be something useful for the GLBT community.

There's a split in the evangelical movement between the old guard (James Dobson, Pat Robertson, the remnants of the Christian Coalition) and the young bucks (Warren et al). The young bucks aren't our friends, but they are not as vituperative or homosexual-obsessed as their forebears. By striking an alliance with the more moderate wing of the evangelical movement, Obama weakens the old guard and wins evangelical hearts and minds.

If he uses the political capital he accumulates with evangelicals to get rid of DADT and DOMA while he remains "friends" with evangelicals (and thus politically viable), he is practicing shrewd politics. If he doesn't use that capital to defend our interests, then he sold us gay folks a bill of goods during the campaign and he'll make me wish I had supported Hilllary.
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 23 Dec 2008, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Must Work Together Reply with quote

Obama did say during his campaign that in order to resolve our problems, all the people regardless of political or religious affiliation will need to come together. I agree with DVD player that the old guard is giving way to the young bucks. Yes, the don't agree wth us but at least they seem willing to at least try and work things out.

One point to remember is that gay Democrats and gay Republicans couldn't even get together in a joint effort. Sad thing is that they both want gay and lesbian rights. Much of the animosity, I believe, is party affiliation and different ways as to how to obtain their rights.

LGBT people come from ALL political and religious persuasions. How many minds were changed during the Prop 8 battle in California? Yes, we lost but allies were gained and I do believe that the law will be overturned. Yes, I don't agree with Warren on his positions but then dio always agree with everyone 100%?

Gennee
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.