Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Be Out and About and Active

Reply to topic   Post new topic
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 29 May 2009, 11:14 am    Post subject: Be Out and About and Active Reply with quote

Nevada is the latest state not to even consider gender identity in the struggle for trans protections. New Hampshire and Maryland had protections for transgender people voted down or stalled in the legislature.

I have been keeping up to date with activities here in New York. So far, it's moving along. My concern is that with the California's decision to uphold Prop 8 will facilitate the opposition targeting other minority groups. This is not a new tactic and they will be using every means necessary.

This is why transgender people need to really take charge of our own topics. I have made the decision to be visible and public about my transgenderism and crossdressing. I never thought that I would be the one who would desire to educate people about transgender topics. As I see it now, I really don't have much choice.

The murder trial of Lateisha Green is upcoming. 'Teisha' is 22 year old transgender woman of color who was murdered last November. The trial of Angie Zapata's murder is still fresh in my mind. Many of the transgender people killed are women of color, of which I am.

This is why I am out in the public. I can't see any other way. Yes, it will be hard and frightening. I can't ignore the fact that this is life and death also-our lives.

Gennee
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.