Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Charaters' speech in cross-dressing comedies

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Avalanche  

Interests: gender studies
Physical Location: Moscow

Posted: 23 Dec 2009, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Charaters' speech in cross-dressing comedies Reply with quote

Hi! I'm new to the discussion board here (though I've been reading the articles on the site for quite a while). The thing is that I'm doing a post-graduate research which concerns both gender studies and phonetics. The material are cross-dressing comedies in English (mostly American ones like Some like it hot, Tootsie, Mrs. Doubtfire and more recent ones of course).

I'm in the course of selecting a number of films for the analysis out of the overall amount (which seems pretty large).

So I'd be really grateful if you could answer my question:
Which cross-dressing comedy (in the English language) do you consider to be most authentic and true-to-life in terms of representing women's speech (if the cross-dresser undergoes a male-to-female change) or men's phonetics? As in which film character is really successful in portraying a woman's or a man's speech in your opinion?

I'm especially interested in the opinion of native speakers so I'd appreciate if you could somehow mark whether you are a native English speaker as well as indicate your proficiency in language studies if you happen to have it.

Hope you're also going to enjoy the discussion :)

Thanks in advance!

Natalia (Moscow, Russia)

PS: And Happy Holidays!
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.