Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Marriage Ruling Today

Reply to topic   Post new topic
JayJay  

Interests: gay history

Posted: 4 Aug 2010, 11:21 am    Post subject: Marriage Ruling Today Reply with quote

Judge Vaughn Walker is scheduled to hand down his ruling on the Prop 8 case today. I have high hopes that he will rule the right way. It will be devastating if he does not.
Linda  

Interests: Pets, politics, sports, gardening, needlework, mystery novels, cooking
Physical Location: Dearborn, MI

Posted: 5 Aug 2010, 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Marriage Ruling Today Reply with quote

JayJay wrote:
Judge Vaughn Walker is scheduled to hand down his ruling on the Prop 8 case today. I have high hopes that he will rule the right way. It will be devastating if he does not.

Two hours before the ruling was due to be delivered in California, I was at a meeting of the GSA at my campus in Michigan. (I am the faculty advisor.) The purpose of the meeting was to work on plans for a celebration of GLBTQ History Month in October, but of course the topic of the Prop 8 case came up. I expressed cautious optimism that the decision would be favorable, but I knew that it would be appealed and suspected that there might be a stay pending the appeal. The students were optimistic about the outcome of the case. They were very displeased, though, by the idea of the stay. They seemed to be envisioning gay and lesbian couples rushing right off to apply for marriage licenses, which would have been a wonderful and just thing but appeared unlikely to happen.

Eventually we got back to the business of the plans for GLBTQ History Month. In the course of the discussion, a student who will be designing posters and flyers and such asked that everyone think about quotations that he could use on them. The first thing that came to my mind was Harvey Milk's "You gotta give them hope." In the students of the GSA, I see young people who are hopeful about strides toward equality in the future--including the near future. I am glad that they are interested in learning about the history of the dedicated glbtq people before them who had the hope and the courage to begin the work that continues today.

Needless to say, I am elated by Judge Walker's decision. There will still be obstacles to overcome, and there will be setbacks along the way, but this is a day to take heart and have hope.
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 5 Aug 2010, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Good News Reply with quote

I read about the decision and that is wonderful news.

Gennee
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.