Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Transgender and Christian

Reply to topic   Post new topic
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 22 Feb 2011, 11:16 am    Post subject: Transgender and Christian Reply with quote

There is a wonderful essay about finding our identity as transgender people and as Christians. Whenever time permits I suggest reading it (religion dispatches.org.).
Allyson Robinson shares her story of struggling with her transgender identity. I I see that much of her struggle had, not so much to do with gender, but of the strict religious orthodoxy in many mainline churches. Robinson believed that being transgender was something wrong. It was a sin and an abomination.
While I believe that religious tenets are valuable they are not finite. Many denominations over the centuries changed their belief systems in regards to slavery, women, Native-Americans, the poor, immigrants, aids, and now LGBT people.
There are times when God moved in another direction. It’s up to the congregants to decipher and go in God’s direction. When the church becomes stagnant it loses its power and spirit and eventually it dies. Many transgender people who are Christians have left church because of the cold shoulder and disapproval among the other congregants. I can’t blame for leaving; I would too.
The church has always been a part of my life. I believe that it is one place that anyone should be able to go to for spiritual nourishment. Many churches are
nothing more than social cliques and status symbols. If you don’t believe like they do, look like them, or think like them, you are considered an outsider.

It is implied that one cannot be Christian and transgender. As a transgender woman and a Christian I totally reject that idea. One of the hallmarks of the first century Christian was its inclusiveness. For the first time women, disabled, the disenfranchised, the sick, and slaves could come and worship. I will add that there were gender variant individuals also (I may cause some to chastise me on the last point). It also demonstrates God’s variety.
One obstacle I find in some churches regarding transgender people is expectations. Transgender people are told that we are going against God’s plan for our lives. My question is how they know what God’s plan for my life is unless it is revealed to them. God’s plans may not always fit our perceptions of what his plan is for us. That includes gender and sexuality. Never in my mind did I think that being transgender would be germane to His plan for my life.
There are many transgender people who are Christians. They desire to be part of a like-minded group who embrace their spirituality. We don’t have to justify our being transgender because God has made us this way. I support LGBT rights just as much as I encourage transgender people to reclaim their spirituality.

Gennee
MKtDave  

Posted: 11 Mar 2011, 9:18 am    Post subject: Hey people Reply with quote

I like this forum. I’m lucky to have found so much helpful advice here. Many thanks to you all mates!
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 13 Mar 2011, 2:19 pm    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Welcome to the siote and I hope that you enjoy it. Your contributions are most welcome.

Gennee
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.