Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: “Yes” to statehood.“No” to a homophobic 51st state

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Bob Mc  

Interests: A man of all seasons.
Physical Location: Puerto Rico

Posted: 10 Jun 2011, 2:26 pm    Post subject: “Yes” to statehood.“No” to a homophobic 51st state Reply with quote

I submitted the following letter to VOICES – Puerto Rico Daily Sun on June 6, 2011. I hope it will be published. It supports this latest report by Gay rights activist Pedro Julio Serrano. I talked briefly with Serrano and other GLBTT leaders just before joining the parade. They expressed a disappointment in my supporting statehood at the price of a possible homophobic 51st State being allowed to join the union. They asked me if I seriously and honestly considered Puerto Rico ready for statehood with homophobes controlling the Commonwealth Government.

To: VOICES - Puerto Rico Daily Sun

“Yes” to statehood.“No” to a homophobic 51st state

Puerto Rico “Gay Pride Parade turns 21”(Daily Sun – June 6).

Recently I turned 83. Yesterday, I marched in the Gay Pride Parade in San Juan. I felt 38 instead of 83. I may be old but my mentality and spirituality for Gay Human Rights are 38 and may even be still 21. I am old but I keep mentally and spiritually still young. I don’t want to be a “gay” Dinosaur like some of my old, in the closet acquaintances still into denial and self-loathing. Keeping a young outlook is the way to deal with both old age and human rights. I could never understand how a really old Dinosaur could support anti-gay issues and candidates while still chasing after very young male hustlers. It seems the addictive search for sex is a way to stay in denial about being gay and not dealing with it in a positive way.

I met once again many of Puerto Rico’s GLBTT Leaders while waiting to join the parade yesterday. I admire these leaders. I voted for some Republican Dinosaurs in the last Puerto Rico General Election 2008 because I am so gung ho for statehood. I was blinded to the real issues that count for me as a gay voter.

Come the next election in 2012, I am changing my priorities. A candidate’s conviction about supporting GLBTT human rights in Puerto Rico will be a far greater priority for me than Puerto Rico becoming a state. In 2012, no homophobe should be given the power to govern Puerto Rico. Neither should a political leader be able to brag about being for statehood while not honoring the United States Constitution’s important principle of “Separation of Church and State”

I am still for Statehood for Puerto Rico. However, I do not want the 51st State’s local government to be controlled by homophobic Dinosaurs. Today’s Spain respects in action – not only in words – GLBTT human rights. Maybe, Spain should become the 51st State instead of the current out-of-date colony now under the control of homophobic Dinosaurs who believe in not only “Trickle Down Economics” but also “Trickle Down Human Rights.” With the many rumors about impending U.S. Department of Justice indictments, there may be a third trickle down concept:“Trickle Down Corruption.”

Our votes do count for winning GLBTT Human Rights! We should carry our struggle to the ballot box in 2012! I got an earful yesterday about my not being part of this struggle by listening to the wrong politicians instead of human rights leaders who tell the truth.

The next Puerto Rico General Election should be about gushing up benefits, including human rights, for all the people instead of tricky trickle down deceptions for the few rich and powerful.

I hope my idol President Barack Obama is aware that he is visiting some homophobic government officials in Puerto Rico on his trip here June 15.

Robert McCarroll -- Carolina

http://www.topix.com/world/puerto-rico/2011/06/puerto-rico-s-lgbtt-hate-killings-escalate-serrano-homophobia-incites-violence

Link for viewing and posting comments on this thread of Puerto Rico News – Topix...
Bob Mc  

Posted: 10 Jun 2011, 2:31 pm    Post subject: Serrano: Homophobia incites violence in Puerto Rico Reply with quote

min ago | www.prdailysun.com | Upfront Yankee

Puerto Rico’s LGBTT hate killings escalate - Serrano: Homophobia incites violence

BY INTER NEWS SERVICE / Puerto Rico Daily Sun – June 9, 2011

Gay rights activist Pedro Julio Serrano denounced Wednesday what he considers a direct attack on the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and transsexual community in Puerto Rico, after the violent death of three persons in the past 72 hours.

So far this year, some 18 gays have been killed, he said.

“It seems that open hunting season has been declared against lesbians, gays, bisexuals, transgender and transsexuals LGBTT,” said Serrano, spokesman for Puerto Rico for Everyone.

“The hate rhetoric coming from politicians and religious fundamentalists, such as Senate President Thomas Rivera Schatz and the self-proclaimed apostle Wanda Rolón, among others, are inciting violence against the LGBTT communities,” he said. “And they are as responsible as the criminals for the attacks on us. They must stop this intolerable, homophobic language now.”

Serrano called on authorities to consider these as hate crimes to be investigated accordingly, just as Prosecutor General Obdulio Meléndez has forced prosecutors to probe every angle of a crime committed against a person of the LGBTT community.

Serrano said that since 2002 there has been a law requiring processing crimes resulting from prejudice against someone’s sexual orientation or gender identity.

Serrano also urged authorities to speed up the process of educating police and prosecutors to conduct appropriate investigations of crimes they suspect have been motivated by such prejudice.

“We are on the alert in the face of this danger and the government has nothing to say. They are killing us and the government is looking the other way,” Serrano said. “Their official response, so far, has been of a conspiracy-like silence, shameful and immoral like Fortuño or blatant homophobia that incites violence as in the case of Rivera Schatz.”

“It is time that the governor of all Puerto Ricans recognizes the problem of violence against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered, and acknowledges that we are just as Puerto Rican as heterosexuals are,” Serrano said.
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 10 Jun 2011, 3:13 pm    Post subject: Way TO GO Reply with quote

Hi, Bob. I have been following some events in Puerto Rico. It's appalling that so many are killed. I pray whatever youyr efforts will have an impact on Puerto Rico. I'm sure that many others feel the same.

Gennee
Linda  

Interests: Pets, politics, sports, gardening, needlework, mystery novels, cooking
Physical Location: Dearborn, MI

Posted: 13 Jun 2011, 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that President Obama will heed the call of the ACLU and address the issue of anti-glbtq violence during his visit to Puerto Rico tomorrow.
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar

Posted: 13 Jun 2011, 10:09 am    Post subject: Me Too Reply with quote

So do I, Linda. This is really bad and it must be dealt with.

Gennee
Bob Mc  

Posted: 13 Jun 2011, 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that there are violations human rights by the governmental authorities. Also, several striking students violated the rights of those students who wanted to attend classes. In a vote, a majority of students did vote to continue going to classes. Some of the striking students were proven not to be students but outside "professional" agitators. It also bothered me that protesters wear masks.

I did not approve of increase the tuition through a ploy of a $800 fee.
Bob Mc  

Posted: 13 Jun 2011, 9:11 pm    Post subject: ACLU to run ads about police brutality during Obama's visit. Reply with quote

29 min ago | www.prdailysun.com | Upfront Yankee

Liberties Union appeals to Obama - Probe police brutality, speech repression

BY MARIA MIRANDA – Puerto Rico Daily Sun – June 11, 2011

The American Civil Liberties Union called on President Obama Friday to press Puerto Rican leaders about a pattern of police brutality and government suppression of First Amendment rights.

In a letter to the president, ACLU Executive Director Anthony Romero highlights some of the delegation’s interviews that reveal systematic violations of freedom of speech, peaceable assembly and protection from violence through police assaults on students, labor leaders, demonstrators, journalists and low-income, black and Dominican communities.

The request was made in conjunction with the visit of the president to the island Tuesday.

The ACLU will also raise these concerns in full-page ads to be taken out Tuesday in the English-language Daily Sun and in the largest Spanish-language newspaper. Ads will also run Sunday through Tuesday in New York’s El Diario La Prensa, one of the nation’s largest Spanish-language newspapers.

“In contrast to recent non-violent protests in Wisconsin, Puerto Rican police have cracked down violently on protestors in the U.S. territory in blatant violation of their constitutional and human rights,” Romero said in the letter. “The severity and scope of police abuse documented by the ACLU are on a level that would not be tolerated in the 50 states.”

Under the U.S. Constitution, Puerto Ricans are entitled to the same rights and protections as U.S. citizens.

The ACLU of Puerto Rico has verified numerous incidents of police abuse since 2004. According to Romero, these incidents have increased in their frequency and intensity over the last two years. University of Puerto Rico students at peaceful protests have been subjected to violent attacks and arrest while female students have been inappropriately touched by police officers during the protests. Union leaders and protesters outside the Capitol Building and other public spaces have been pepper sprayed, beaten and shot at with rubber bullets by police, he said.

This year the national office of the ACLU conducted fact-finding research in Puerto Rico and last month convened a high-level delegation in the commonwealth that included such notables as actor Rosie Pérez and baseball legend Carlos Delgado.

The delegation met with government officials including the secretary of state, attorney general, the police superintendent and legislators of both the majority and the minority parties. The ACLU will issue a comprehensive report documenting the research findings in September.

The U.S. Department of Justice has been conducting an inquiry into these abuses, and the ACLU has provided information to the agency. This week in Washington,Romero -- along with Angelo Falcón of the National Institute for Latino Policy and Juan Cartagena of Latino Justice -- discussed the issue with members of the House and Senate, as well as representatives from the Justice Department and Department of Education.

“The federal government must intervene to ensure that constitutional and human rights in Puerto Rico are respected,” Romero said in his letter to the president. “We applaud your administration’s vigorous support for the free speech and rights of assembly in countries such as Egypt and Tunisia. However, as we turn our eyes toward abuses in other countries, we cannot turn a blind eye toward our own.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Comments

http://www.facebook.com/notes/kenneth-d-mccli...

I am waiting!

By Kenneth D. McClintock

Puerto Rico Secretary of State

A couple of months ago, the American Civil Liberties Union invited several celebrities, including an actress, a baseball star and academicians, to make a one-and-a-half day visit to investigate the violation of individual rights in Puerto Rico. Rather than provide perhaps a half-hour courtesy meeting with the Governor, our administration assembled a high-level team, including the two highest officials in the gubernatorial line of succession, the Secretary of State and the Attorney General, the former Associate Justice who serves as the State Police rights monitor, as well as several assistant Attorneys General and the Chancellor of UPR's main campus. This team met for nearly two hours of substantive discussions with the ACLU delegation.

In addition to asking the ACLU to expand its investigation to include the violation of the rights of thousands of UPR students, professors and employees who wanted an open, functioning campus where they could study, teach and work, it was agreed that the ACLU would address future queries for information to the Secretary of State.

Well, a month later, I am waiting.

During that month, actually, the last day of their visit, the ACLU issued a preliminary report that did not take into account anything of what was discussed with the assemblage of high-level officials.

During that month, as I told one the ACLU delegation's members this week, I have not received one single request for information. I am waiting.

What I have seen is the ACLU's letter to the President claiming that we are attempting to "thwart" a Department of Justice police brutality investigation that began during the Acevedo Vilá investigation, an investigation which has received the backing and support of our administration.

Yes, Virginia, there has been police brutality in Puerto Rico. Because there has been, in collaboration with the Department of Justice, we've been strengthening police recruitment processes, expanding Police Academy training and appointed the former Associate Justice who until recently was the highest ranking jurist after the Chief Justice to monitor rights violations by the State Police, among other measures.

During that month, the ACLU has written the President to address this issue during his economic development-related historic trip to Puerto Rico. In fairness, I include the text of the letter at the end of this note.

The ACLU's preliminary report the day after its most recent PR (initials that may interchangeably be interpreted as "Puerto Rico" or "public relations") trip was unbalanced, since it totally ignored what was said and requested in their meeting with Fortuño administration officials. Likewise, the letter to the President is equally unbalanced by including unsubstantiated accusations of alleged attempts to "thwart" a Federal investigation, as well as once again totally ignoring many of the facts, and by refusing to expand the massive violation of rights the huge majority of UPR students who want their campus open and functioning.

In spite of the repeated unbalanced statements, we remain committed to working with the ACLU in dealing with police conduct and other rights violations in Puerto Rico although, as I've stated before, I am waiting for even the first request for information.

In the meantime, perhaps the ACLU could address the most blatant civil rights violation affecting the Americans in Puerto Rico who belong to the ACLU chapter here, the right to self-determination, and, if we are to remain Americans, the right to vote for our national government. President Obama has already addressed that issue in his March 16, 2011 White House Task Force report. The ACLU has not.

Once again, regarding the ACLU's silence on that most important issue, we are waiting!

http://www.facebook.com/notes/kenneth-d-mccli...

http://www.topix.com/world/puerto-rico/2011/06/liberties-union-appeals-to-obama-probe-police-brutality-speech-repression

Link for viewing and posting comments on this thread of Puerto Rico News – Topix.....
gennee  

Posted: 14 Jun 2011, 11:48 am    Post subject: Not Surprised Reply with quote

Kind of surprised that the ACLU wouldn't reply. Then again I'm not really. What would be nice if some group hear more from the students and protesters and get their point of view. This seems to always be missing from any dialogue whether it be from the right and the left.

Gennee
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.