Not a Member Yet? 

JOIN TODAY. IT'S FREE!

Advertising Opportunities
  Permissions & Licensing
  Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: Will the "Gay Sensibility" disappear?

Reply to topic   Post new topic
froster  

Posted: 12 Dec 2011, 8:25 am    Post subject: Will the "Gay Sensibility" disappear? Reply with quote

As the outsiders to Western culture for, let's say, the last 2000 years, our point of view and our voices have been unique, from Walt Whitman to Don Roos, Romaine Brooks to Lisa Cholodenko. Is anyone afraid that with the "mainstreaming" of Gay culture will result in the loss of our unique perspective on the "mainstream" culture?
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 13 Dec 2011, 11:30 am    Post subject: A Reality Now Reply with quote

That is a reality in some quarters. Look at the gay pride parades. The political aspect of the marches have given way to corporate representation. It's lost its bite. It's enough that LGBT people and issues aren't taken seriously. Frivolity and mindless babble about inconsequential matters don't help either.
froster  

Posted: 13 Dec 2011, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A Reality Now Reply with quote

gennee wrote:
That is a reality in some quarters. Look at the gay pride parades. The political aspect of the marches have given way to corporate representation. It's lost its bite. It's enough that LGBT people and issues aren't taken seriously. Frivolity and mindless babble about inconsequential matters don't help either.

Sorry, but I think there's a slight misunderstanding here. I'm not speaking of social issues in this post, I'm talking about art and artists (Frivolity and mindless babble are not the issue. In fact, much that's thought of as "Camp", could easily be seen as frivolous). My point is that because Gay artists have been "outsiders" to the hetero majority culture, it has given rise to many, many great works from modern masters like Tennessee Williams, Edward Albee, Andy Warhol, Virginia Woolf, James Whale, Jasper Johns, Willa Cather, et al. It is not that the works themselves are "Gay". It is that they benefit from a certain "observer" or "rebel" status obtained by the sexuality of the artists themselves. Meaning...when there's no "outsider' status conferred simply by being Gay, will there still be a "Gay Sensibility"?
gennee  

Interests: reading, writing, poetry, transgender issues, gospel, veteran's issues,jazz,education,religion,literature,Native-American and African culture,lighthouses,trails,castles,tractor trailers, playwriting, biograhies, electronics, bass guitar
Physical Location: new york

Posted: 14 Dec 2011, 4:00 pm    Post subject: Still Doing So Reply with quote

Many gay artists have contributed greatly to athe arts and in my mind are still doing so. Tennessee Williams' classic 'Streetcar Named Desire' is a classic. I have read a little of Edward Albee's works. Though they won't be acknowledged by hetero society, gay artists have contributed mightily.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.