Terms of Service
  Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: arabic gay texts

Reply to topic   Post new topic
mhir  

Interests: contemprery litterature, arabic litteraure, gay cinema& theatre

Posted: 12 Mar 2003, 12:01 pm    Post subject: arabic gay texts Reply with quote

I would like to discuss the subject of arabic gay litterature in the 20th centur, if someone has any information concerning this subject please, contact me
on mhir1@yahoo.fr
Gibeon  

Interests: HIstory, languages, writing, current events, movies
Physical Location: Memphis

Posted: 1 Apr 2003, 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: arabic gay texts Reply with quote

mhir wrote:
I would like to discuss the subject of arabic gay litterature in the 20th centur, if someone has any information concerning this subject please, contact me
on mhir1@yahoo.fr

Mhir, I did a Google search on "gay arab literature" http://www.google.com and found this excerpt: (You can also do a Google search by clicking on the "Groups" button which may help you find the information you are seeking.)

Quote:
"Although novels by famous Egyptian writers, such as Nobel Prize winner Naguib Mahfouz, and several films portray gay characters living normally in society and causing no public outcry, it has never been easy to be gay in Egypt. In poor areas, men who seem feminine or act in a camp manner are ridiculed and sometimes beaten.

Gay characters in modern Arab novels and films usually meet with unhappiness or tragedy. Their sexual relationships with foreigners are often a metaphor for western domination or Arab revenge against it. "

I also entered "gay arab literature" on GLBTQ's (this very website) own search feature and many articles came up which you may have already have seen. One of them dealt with gay arab literature from the 9th until the 19th Century.
Gibeon  

Interests: HIstory, languages, writing, current events, movies
Physical Location: Memphis

Posted: 1 Apr 2003, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another site you might not be aware of..... the Gay and Lesbian Arabic Society at http://www.glas.org When it comes up, click the "Click here to visit".

Then click on the "Entertainment" button on the left side of the page that opens up and iit brings up several articles but here are two that you might find useful......

(1) "Islamic Homosexualities: Culture, History and Literature" by Mohammed Bamyeh

(2) Read an article on Gay Arab American writer Rabih Allamedine and his novels
(it says it's in Arabic though)

Hope these help you in your search, Mhir.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.