Privacy Policy
  Copyright

Index      FAQ       Member List       Report Abuse        Guidelines    

Topic: The English Patient

Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ryan  

Interests: Queer History and Biography
Physical Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted: 21 Mar 2003, 9:26 pm    Post subject: The English Patient Reply with quote

I just found this out, quite by accident, while Web browsing yesterday evening...

László Almásy, the Hungarian who was the inspiration for the book (and resulting Hollywood movie) The English Patient, was gay.

Quote: "The real Almasy was a far cry from the character portrayed by Ralph Fiennes in the film based on Michael Ondaatje's novel, a dashing explorer who falls in love with another man's wife while working with the Royal Geographical Society in North Africa, and who helps the Nazis only as a way to be united with his love. In real life he was an intrepid explorer, but he was also a homosexual who wrote passionate letters to a young German officer he tried to help avoid going to the Russian front."

Full New York Times article at:
http://www.geocities.com/szerelem96/print/nytimes_count.htm

I found László Almásy on this list:
An Eastern European Out List
http://community.middlebury.edu/~moss/EEOL.html
Claude  

Interests: glbtq culture
Physical Location: New Orleans

Posted: 22 Mar 2003, 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: The English Patient Reply with quote

Dear Ryan,

Thanks for bringing the real English patient to our attention. A good article could be written on how Hollywood routinely heterosexualizes accomplished glbtq people.

Claude

Ryan wrote:
I just found this out, quite by accident, while Web browsing yesterday evening...

László Almásy, the Hungarian who was the inspiration for the book (and resulting Hollywood movie) The English Patient, was gay.

Quote: "The real Almasy was a far cry from the character portrayed by Ralph Fiennes in the film based on Michael Ondaatje's novel, a dashing explorer who falls in love with another man's wife while working with the Royal Geographical Society in North Africa, and who helps the Nazis only as a way to be united with his love. In real life he was an intrepid explorer, but he was also a homosexual who wrote passionate letters to a young German officer he tried to help avoid going to the Russian front."

Full New York Times article at:
http://www.geocities.com/szerelem96/print/nytimes_count.htm

I found László Almásy on this list:
An Eastern European Out List
http://community.middlebury.edu/~moss/EEOL.html
Gibeon  

Interests: HIstory, languages, writing, current events, movies
Physical Location: Memphis

Posted: 12 Apr 2003, 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude wrote:
"A good article could be written on how Hollywood routinely heterosexualizes accomplished glbtq people."

Claude, this is an excellent idea and an excellent sentence. I don't believe I've come across the word "heterosexualize" before but it is so descriptive.

I remember reading the book "Go Ask Alice", after seeing the movie, and was quite surprised to find out that Alice's and her girlfriend's boyfriends were gay lovers. Somehow the movie never got to that part!

And, as you allude, there are many more examples and another one that jumped out at me was Richard the Lion-Hearted, the perfect warrior-king. Imagine my surprise when I first saw the play, "The Lion In Winter" and found out that he was gay! This was very empowering to the closeted gay teenager that I was at that time.
Reply to topic   Post new topic    

Page 1 of 1

Discussion Boards by phpBB © 2006 phpBB Group

www.glbtq.com is produced by glbtq, Inc., 1130 West Adams Street, Chicago, IL   60607
glbtq™ and its logo are trademarks of glbtq, Inc.
This site and its contents Copyright © 2002-2006, glbtq, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
Your use of this site indicates that you accept its Terms of Service.